Kevin Pieterson vs Ian Bell vs Graham Thorpe

Which combination should England go with?

• Thorpe and Bell

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Thorpe and Pietersen

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Pietersen and Bell

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
But Pietersen helped rescue us the other day.

Thorpe has already announced his retirement. When athers and Stewart did that they averaged 22 in tests.

If a batsmen get's injured i wouldn't but Thorpe in maybe Joyce as he qualifies.

Hav any of you seen Pieterseen play in a 4 day match? He plays completely different to the way he does in one dayers (doesnt play leg side as much although that is his natural game) I think you will be suprised when you see him and i trust him. He is a great talent and i think he has got 2 or 3 match winning innings in him this Ashes series :)

I have nothing against Pietersen. I think he is a great player, but without Thorpe England's batting lineup looks very very inexperienced.

England squad: Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss, Michael Vaughan (capt), Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Geraint Jones (wk), Ashley Giles, Simon Jones, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison, Chris Tremlett.

No thorpe.....:(

It looks like Graham Thorpe's Test career may be over after showing his disloyalty to England last month. He's been replaced by Kevin Pietersen, who in my opinion is too cocky and always trys to smash the ball to the boundary, which is not the way to play Test cricket.

I would have preferred Ian Bell to play, he has the perfect temperament and would perform really well under pressure I think.

SkateBoarder2 ;)

SkateBoarder2 said:
I would have preferred Ian Bell to play, he has the perfect temperament and would perform really well under pressure I think.

SkateBoarder2 ;)

Well maybe against Bangla, a crumbling Windies side and other county sides, but im not so sure when he comes up against the Aussies. I'd like to see him picked, but this is his first ever real test as a bat, it'll be interesting to see whether he keeps his temperament

SkateBoarder2 said:
He's been replaced by Kevin Pietersen, who in my opinion is too cocky and always trys to smash the ball to the boundary, which is not the way to play Test cricket.

He played very sensibly at The Oval though, didn't start going after the bowling until he was well in. Plus, it wasn't until we really could risk going after the bowling that he and Solanki did, and they did it supurbly!

There is also no doubt that he can handle pressure. Lets not forget his performance out in South Africa, he had thousands upon thousands of fans booing him, slagging him off, then the 11 players on the pitch doing the same thing. Yet he hit 3 magnificant hundred's, all in losing situations.

Whilst it maybe would have better to have started with Thorpe, I feel that it changes the mentallity of the team. Playing Thorpe is a more defensive move, i've seen many comments along the lines of 'oh, but when we're 50/3' or whatever. Thats a very negative way of thinking, sure, we may well be 50/3 at some stage, but at the same time we could be 100/0. Australia could be 50/3 at some stage in the series, you won't find them thinking 'oh, we're in trouble here'. To be winners you need to be positive and have confidence in every member of your team. Our strength is to play positive cricket, lets not suddenly go into this negative frame of mind, otherwise we're beaten before the series starts.

On the Pietersen ahead of Thorpe issue itself, i'm not sure which is the right option. But what matters now is that its Pietersen playing, so lets look for the positives in that and not the negatives.

m_vaughan said:
I have nothing against Pietersen. I think he is a great player, but without Thorpe England's batting lineup looks very very inexperienced.

I'm glad they left him out in a way.

Athers and Stewart did the same thing and averaged only 22 in the test series.

Thorpe hasn't played much cricket in the last 6 weeks.

Whereas Pietersen has been in the ODI team.

Pietersen has a fantastic First Class record. Nearly scores as many hundreds as he does fifties.

And Skateboarder you need to be cocky to play Australia.

Cant believe they dropped a tested test batsman for Pietersen, absolutely unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread