Krejza hopes for more doosra victims

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
ICC is not making rules in the spirit of cricket. Straight arm is the ONLY way.

They are bending (excuse the pun) the rules so Murali can still play international cricket.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The typical chucking fallacy. You're trying to show that someone's chucking or not with a still photo. You cannot. An arm can be as bent as you want, as long as it doesn't straighten. The common cricket fan is often misinformed that the arm needs to be straight, which it doesn't.
Indeed, a bent arm at the point of release would not be telling of a throw, at least, not a very good one. If you are looking for flexion in a single frame, it needs to be much earlier than approaching the point of release.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
ICC is not making rules in the spirit of cricket. Straight arm is the ONLY way.

They are bending (excuse the pun) the rules so Murali can still play international cricket.
What the current laws define as a throw is a matter of practicality. The tolerance level is deemed to be the smallest possible straightening of the arm which an umpire can actually see.

general note: don't turn threads into arguments about Murali, we've seen it a hundred times before and any mod would probably lock the thread to save everyone from bleeding out their eyes.

john91

School Cricketer
The ball hit a massive crack, you can clearly see that on the video that I watched on YouTube. I assume I am watching the same clip that was linked to in this thread, and I think the cracks were to blame.

Did he/they say that it was being worked on before the game, or now there has been one lucky ball, it's all amazing this that and everything else?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hes been working on it over the past year, maybe longer. It was clearly something different, and the Tasmania coach even said it was.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeah, quite clearly a variation. You'd need a miracle for the ball to turn that much the other way off a crack. Excellent delivery really, really spun back sharply, the batsman didn't have a clue what was going on. I'll be interested to see how Krejza goes, and whether he gets another go in the Test side. Be a little harsh on Hauritz if he's replaced though tbh, given how well he's bowled whenever he's been called upon. Thought he was excellent in the Ashes.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hauritz will get this series and probably the Pakistan one to get enough wickets to fend off the competitors. Krejza hasn't really shouted pick me yet, but hes been playing on the tricky surfaces so far and he appears to have worked on his economy.

john91

School Cricketer
Can other people actually see the crack as evident as I can?

He definitely got lucky, even if it was intended to be a doosra, the crack would have made up for the majority of that movement.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He hit the rough, you can see the dust move after the ball is delivered. If there is a crack there well only they will know as you can't tell from that video. If we are calling that ball lucky then so to is Shane Warne's ball of the century.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Been practicing the doosra all morning.

For mine, after each of these series has been won (most likely after two games) they should bring in Steven Smith and Jon Holland for a game each, just to give them an opportunity.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
He hit the rough, you can see the dust move after the ball is delivered. If there is a crack there well only they will know as you can't tell from that video. If we are calling that ball lucky then so to is Shane Warne's ball of the century.
Well it was, according to the man himself: "I have been asked about the Gatting ball more times than I can remember but I have to admit that it was an absolute fluke."

Having researched, I wouldn't call this ball a doosra, just because it's confusing to do so. To call it a doosra really only justifies the decision not to teach it, because it means the delivery has no definable technique. It's like calling the googly an off break. The description of this ball is more like a Mendis type delivery.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Looks like a leg cutter or subtle leg break to me, but I could be mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread