Your Cricket left arm chinaman...where are they?

kifty121

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
this is a rare species of bowler...the left armer who has broken the mould for left arm spin bowling, by going to wrist spin.

i am the only "chinamen" in my club, which isnt a very nice thought, considering what can be done to a batsman if we get it right.

yes yes, i know, i know. left arm finger spinners spin it away form the bat like leg spinners. they have more control than leg spinners and vary their flight more than leg spinners.

but

if the "chinaman" comes left arm over the wicket, the batsmans got a bit of a problem.

if they want to score whilst minimising risk, they can't sweep, because it pitches well outise off stump, they cant come down the wicket because the balls going across them and being taken from their eye line, increasing chances of stumpings and being bowled.

also, if we can spin the ball loads, there is a very high chance of this happening
YouTube - Shane Warne Ball of the Century
well, probably not THAT dramatic, but u get what i mean.

batsman misses, i hit, simple as.

so, with all these assets....where the hell are they?

Last edited:
i'm a left arm finger spinner, but i tried wristspin once the batsmen got tricked cause of the extra bounce but i cant control my line and length so stopped after a while.

but i tried wristspin once the batsmen got tricked cause of the extra bounce

In other words, you were bowling hand grenades?

It might work at junior level but you will get discarded as soon as you come up against anybody who can move their feet at all.

Michael Beven was a chinamen bowler I'm pretty certain. Not sure who else is that's playing cricket ATM.

Thye are all being detained in a mystery city known as Atlantis, they are said to be trying to escape but only few have ever made it. They seem to have turned into a form of rabid dog species and are usually carnivores.

It really is qite disturbing.

Okay but seriously, you talk as if the people that post on a cricket forum, don't actually know about cricket.

exactly, bowled really full pitched about 1-2 meters from the crease, and was very very slow. One actually bounced upto ribcage level.

We used to have a few hand grenade bowlers in our competition a few years back, they would bounce up to your head level which made it very tricky for us at first. But seriously, if you get anyone that moves their feet well you are screwed because they can either jump down the pitch and smash it or if it's short enough wait on the back foot and pull/leave/cut over gully.

It's a good trick at junior level but you'll get found out bowling that very quickly unless you can hit a perfect spot 6/6 times, and even then you'll probably need to increase the pace a bit.

^ yeah thats why i went back to offspin, i'll try and learn the doosra ;) or i could just focus on my batting since i am a part-timer.

IMO Katich was decent chinaman bowler. I'm surprised ponting never used him that much:eek:

IMO Katich was decent chinaman bowler. I'm surprised ponting never used him that much:eek:

Yeah when you play cricket 04 or 05 the CPU must gives him the over in test matches

Punter should had learnt from this:D

Well i m also lefty but not a chinamen bowler.I remember a south African bowler named Paul Adams was a chinamen bowler.His action was pretty annoying and he had said that his action caused him many injuries

if they are bouncing too high then your doing the break wrong.

u can use it as a variation though.

No disrespect, but who was actually successful with this? Brad Hogg is the only guy I know who bowled that. He was decent.

well, bowlers who can spin the ball severely into right handers have always had good amounts of success.

take murali and swann.

There's a good young left arm chinaman bowler at my club. Gets a little drift with the wind and turns it fairly sharply. Bowled well last time I played with him. It's a very good variation of bowler to have in your bowling attack.

Users who are viewing this thread