Your Cricket Left Arm Fast Bowling

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am a left arm medium fast bowler (15 years old, around 55-60mph) but want to know something critical about my bowling.

I go quite wide of the crease, that may be relevant.

Right handed bowlers can quite simply bowl the ball straight down the wicket and get a line just outside off stump, maybe with some swing swinging it away from the stumps.

As a left arm bowler with a pin point straight run up, if I bowl it directly straight down the wicket, it comes out fast, provides no stress on my body BUT it is already down leg side and swings further down leg side for a wide.

How can I rectify this situation and bowl accurately without sacrifysing an unreasonable amount of pace or putting stress on my body (both of which I currently do)?

Any and all help will be helpful.

I usually run in in an arch, i start wide of the crease and come in until as im releasing my legs are right next to the wickets.

I'm only a medium pacer, but its the same thing, if you try to make your bowling action a little more rounded it worked, such as dont brush your ear with your bowling arm as told when you were young, try to get it a slight bit wider, with then ehances swing also. If you going for middle stump try to aim offstump line aswell.

LFM is harder than RFM as the angles are all wrong to a right hander, but then its vice versa for a RFM to a Left batsmen :p

Simbazz said:
I'm only a medium pacer, but its the same thing, if you try to make your bowling action a little more rounded it worked, such as dont brush your ear with your bowling arm as told when you were young, try to get it a slight bit wider, with then ehances swing also.*

Yes, I had a round arm action before but it is hard to maintain and loses more pace than it gains.

Simbazz said:
If you going for middle stump try to aim offstump line aswell.
That body contortion is what injures me.

Thanks for the help though.

Small note: I used to have an in to out action but although it provides accuracy, it can provide awful arm injuries and slows you down too much.

manee said:
Yes, I had a round arm action before but it is hard to maintain and loses more pace than it gains.
I know what you mean, but would you rather have lots of pace, or slow it down, hit the right areas and take wickets?

Think of Glenn Mcgrath, not overly quick, very dangerous :)

And, the round armed action proves best for swing in my honest opinion :) Look at Shaun Tait, he has a slingy round arm action, gets pace and swing :)

offdriven4 said:
i have a straight run up,with a straight side on action.i normally go for a line just outside offstump.
Sorry, but i fail to see where this is useful for Manee, we dont know if your a Left arm bowler, what you are etc....

Oh another quick note, have a go at bowling from the other side of the wicket, it just makes it easier if you go over the wicket sometimes as the natural angle of the ball is towards the batsmen, it is certainly effective in close OD games as a yorker this way is so much easier and usually has more pace, plus your leg likely to stray down leg if you aim for out side off :D

Last edited:
Simbazz said:
I know what you mean, but would you rather have lots of pace, or slow it down, hit the right areas and take wickets?
I understand your point but I am too slow for accuracy alone to work.
Simbazz said:
Think of Glenn Mcgrath, not overly quick, very dangerous
I class 80mph and steep bounce as quick enough.
Simbazz said:
And, the round armed action proves best for swing in my honest opinion Look at Shaun Tait, he has a slingy round arm action, gets pace and swing
His arm is not as round as you think, he just collapses on his knee which makes it low but not round arm.

All these posts are tidbits of help for me and are all appreciated.

i'm a left armer,soz forgot to point that out,over the wicket is useful to the left handers,strangles them for space to play,whereas coming around the wicket helps you to swing it to the right handers

offdriven4 said:
i'm a left armer,soz forgot to point that out,over the wicket is useful to the left handers,strangles them for space to play,whereas coming around the wicket helps you to swing it to the right handers
But I am looking for a way to stay over the wicket because it is more effective if you get it right. Also, when I go around the wicket, I just end up running across the pitch.

No thanks, I cannot spin the ball (at all:)) unless I hit the seam on a green wicket.

Wasim Akram is my idol for bowling, how fast was he, just out of interest...he looked deadly accurate and his swing was good too.

manee said:
No thanks, I cannot spin the ball (at all:)) unless I hit the seam on a green wicket.

If your just starting spin bowling used 4 fingers al on one side of the ball, this produces alot of spin, i use 3 fingers offspin and legspin:p

Ashish Nehra has/did have this same problem. To a right hander, he already pitches the ball at around leg stump, then you get that natural left handed swing more to the leg side.
What I may suggest is that you try and aim a tad shorter, just back of a length, and concentrate on a middle stump line.
We saw Irfan Pathan in his prime do this.
And try to learn that slower ball that he uses too! :)

Stop it, I am not becoming a spinner.
Cricketman93 said:
Ashish Nehra has/did have this same problem. To a right hander, he already pitches the ball at around leg stump, then you get that natural left handed swing more to the leg side.
What I may suggest is that you try and aim a tad shorter, just back of a length, and concentrate on a middle stump line.
We saw Irfan Pathan in his prime do this.
And try to learn that slower ball that he uses too! :)

Thanks for the tips.

What are your strengths in general bowling? and what are your weaknesses?

My strength are that I can swing the ball both ways, are of reasonable pace and can control my length somewhat.

My weaknesses are in the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread