Your Cricket Fast Bowling

donkey said:
You bowl slower than a spinner and you wanna be brett lee. Hushh I say :mad:

Im only 14 so give it some time...Shoiab Akhtar hadnt even bowled till he was 20 and hes the fastest bowler in the world...

To everyone else...thanks for your help and reps for all of u

puddleduck said:
Get a stop watch, time how long it takes for the ball to go from your hand to the stumps... do this a few times to get an average time that rules out anomolous readings. You will most likely need a mate to do it.

Then I think divide the distance by the time it takes to get an average speed.

Not perfect, but better than buying a speed gun :p

There is a platypus speed ball on the market at about ?25 if my memory serves me right...

You enter a length of distance from when you release it to when it pitches...bowl it and it gives you you speed in kmph. However, you must pitch it at the length you say, way to short and till say 190kmph!

puddleduck said:
Get a stop watch, time how long it takes for the ball to go from your hand to the stumps... do this a few times to get an average time that rules out anomolous readings. You will most likely need a mate to do it.

Then I think divide the distance by the time it takes to get an average speed.

Not perfect, but better than buying a speed gun :p

Just to add to my earlier post, you end up with

rate = distance/time

Where rate is your speed.

Make sure your measurements are all in sync though, by this if you having the time in seconds, and your distance in yards, you'll get a weird looking speed ;) So you may want to convert the distance to miles or kilometers before calcuating the final total. For the record 22 yards is about 0.0125 miles. So say it took .75 seconds for the ball to get from your hand to the stumps.

You'd have .0125 / .75 = 0.016666*

Now multiply the .016666 with 3600 to get a time based in hours instead of seconds and you get 60mph.

Bare in mind this is not perfect, and my maths is a little rusty, so hopefully anyone who is currently studying maths or physics can correct me If I am wrong ;)

Manee said:
There is a platypus speed ball on the market at about ?25 if my memory serves me right...

You enter a length of distance from when you release it to when it pitches...bowl it and it gives you you speed in kmph. However, you must pitch it at the length you say, way to short and till say 190kmph!

Edit - Alternatively just do this which was posted whilst I was posting this :rolleyes:

To give you some actual advice Manee, I would say whilst trying to increase your pace, make sure you work hard on being able to control the ball. Work hard on being able to swing the ball. If your natural swing is away, try to develop a delivery that either holds its line or goes back in again, or the other way around.

If you can bowl 5 balls all swinging away from a batsman, and then swing one in, you will pick up wickets. Also practice being able to bowl cutters and trying to bowl with an upright seam and hit it. More than raw pace try to have control, and if as your body grows and you mature the pace comes, then your well set.

More importantly than all of that, make sure you enjoy your cricket :)

Last edited:
Work on your torso and lower body. Fast bowlers get more strain in the following regions - lower back, ankle and hamstring. So being a quickie myself, i would ask you to modify your bowling action where in you impart the minimum starin to your body but also can bowl at reasonably good pace. (I still can't understand how Nel has not torn his back muscles).

start your runup slowly and gain momentum and at the time of jump, be sure to bend your torso backwards and release the ball in one quick fluid motion. This would help you increase your pace. Also don't fiddle around with your action too much.

After watching & playing amaturish cricket myself, i will only tell bowl as fast as ur body can, but dont over exert it. Whats use if u are goning to break down again & again. Talking of run ups, wasim akram didnt had to run from boundary to bowl fast. Even during his last year he used to bowl 135+kph & regularly bowl at 145. Thats fair pace, fast medium to fast. Also ambrose, imran, walsh etc used to say, bowling more & more makes u better bowler.

Last edited:
Thank you all for you help...all has been gr8ly noted

I'm 174cm tall, I can bowl Leg-Off-Spin and Pace (Medium-Fast or Fast-Medium?), it takes me from around .65 to 2 (slower ball) seconds to get the ball to the other end of a 18 (bowling bit) metre cricket pitch. Can some1 figure out how fast I bowl coz I have no idea what puddle duck said.

So, remember im 14 so this may be wrong.

Speed = distance/time

Distance = 18metres = 0.018km

Time = 0.65s = 0.0018055555555555555555555555555555555555s

0.018km/0.0018055555555555555555555555555555555555s

This should = your speed.

Here goes...= 9.969

I would assume this means your quicker ball is 99.69kmph

This = 62.3mph

I think! Im not sure....seems realistic enough.

174cm = 5ft 7 or 8?

Last edited:
Can I just clear something here? The bowling speed is calculated as soon as the ball is released and the speed is calculated after a few cm after the ball is released. The bowling speed is NOT "x/22 yards". Most bowlers' speed ends up at about 50-60mph when the ball reaches the batsman.

Adarsh said:
Can I just clear something here? The bowling speed is calculated as soon as the ball is released and the speed is calculated after a few cm after the ball is released. The bowling speed is NOT "x/22 yards". Most bowlers' speed ends up at about 50-60mph when the ball reaches the batsman.

Yeah but that gives an average speed...so to get your release speed probably add 8kmph or 5mph

As a side note, I would like to remind all aspiring fast bowlers of a piece of advise from Michael Holding. He has said many times that the most important thing before you commence any spell is to loosen your body by doing light exercises and stretches for 10-15 minutes. It drastically reduces chances of injury and also lets you build up rythm faster.

manee said:
Im only 14 so give it some time...Shoiab Akhtar hadnt even bowled till he was 20 and hes the fastest bowler in the world...
Fyne!! I will teach you :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread