Leg glance/flick shot to the leg side

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Folks, starting this thread as I'm struggling with the leg glance/flick shot post Patch 3 on PS4. Before the patch I could play the shot easily and was my "go to" shot but since the patch the shot has become the most inconsistent shot for me.

For starters the shot is quite inconsistent in its result and execution. Sometimes I miss the ball altogether, sometimes the ball goes extremely fine barely beating the wkt keeper, sometimes it goes to fine leg, sometimes to Square Leg and sometimes between mid wkt & mid on (sort of forward mid wkt region). And plenty of times my batsman moves all across the stumps leaving the stumps exposed behind him and is bowled behind his legs or the ball goes to the wkt keeper behind the batsman's legs.

I've tried to make sure the left stick (footwork) is as straight as possible (12'0 clock) and the right stick is around 7 or 8'0 clock position but am getting inconsistent results. I've lowered the difficulty as well and still this behavior occurs. Unfortunately the batting feedback system is not much help as it shows 'Ideal' for footwork, shot selection and timing. If I could understand where I'm going wrong and which input results in what result I could play & plan accordingly. But as of now I play the leg glance shot but have no idea what to expect - a miss resulting in LBW or a fine leg glance or a more squarish glance or an on drive to forward mid wkt area or the "bowled behind the legs" animation.

Was wondering if others are having the same experience with the leg glance shot and maybe folks who are having a better experience than me can provide some tips & hints regarding the leg glance shot.

gunit123

County Cricketer
I'm having the exact same issue as well (offline and online). On one hand, I'm enjoying the challenge as playing to the leg side is usually a very safe shot, yet the issue is the huge change in consistency as to whether you make contact with the ball at all.

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Since patch 3 when I try and play an on drive my batsman plays the pull shot animation and misses the ball not sure what I'm doing wrong had no problem before patch

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Since patch 3 when I try and play an on drive my batsman plays the pull shot animation and misses the ball not sure what I'm doing wrong had no problem before patch
Check your line of the ball, you will/should get a pull animation if the ball is outside the line of off stump or on off stump, as this is by definition a pull shot, a leg glance is a shot played off the legs when the ball is pitched in line with your legs (wherever you are standing)... if the ball is pitched outside the line of your legs (off side) you should always get a pull shot animation.

grkrama

National Board President
re-quoting here so other people having trouble with glance can check out. @cricket_online sorry for multiple quoting you in different thread.

1. What should be the position of Right Stick and Left Stick to play i) Fine leg glance, and ii) Square leg glance? I can't seem to figure it out and it happens randomly.

it varies depending on line and length but i can guarantee its not random. for example just outside off would be 1.30 and rs shouldn't go below 7.30 o clock.

In the below vid you can see i start with LS at 12 struggle then change to 1.30 or 2 and connect regularly with glance, fine glance wont be possible in that particular delivery as its not angling in. when i change to inswing im able to fineglance easily, its not necessarily need to be inswinger just that when going for fineglance ball going down will be easier, so it will be even more use full say against leftarmers or around wkt bowlers. with inswinger even for square glance a 12-12.30 will work.

once i change the line im able to change footwork to 12-11.30 to connect well.

2. How do you play on drive through widish mid on towards forward deep mid wkt? i.e. what should be the position of left stick and right stick for the same? Currently I manage to hit the shot accidentally but can't figure out how.

getting in line with the ball a left hander it would be from 10-11 on ls, right hander 1-2. think apart from that pull animation playing out when the footwork isnt right its reasonably balanced.

3. How do you play the following cover drives, i.e. what should be the left stick & right stick position for the following...
i) Straightish Cover drive through extra cover
ii) Traditional drive through Covers
iii) A more squarish drive (sort of square drive) through cover point or point region

this mainly dependent on on all three factor foot work , delivery type and angle and RS direction. RS direction matters a lot but is not the be all.

For ex: for RHB to an out swinger outside off if i play with LS @ 12 o clock, you cover drive will go to cove region if its pointed at say 1-2 it will still go more towards cover, but if my LS is also at 1-2 it will go more towards extra cover since your closer to the ball.

while this may sound like a lot to do, it will kick in with muscle memory as time goes on like driving.

The only thing i would say is observe your LS and RS movements in academy and the resulting shots. The game is really indepth nothing random about it just a lot more variables play a part now like Footwork LS, timing, Bat direction RS, delivery pace and angle, pitch variation etc. give it time, it would be a real shame if we lost this indepth batting gameplay because we dont give it time to tick.

ps; sorry for the encode qualities still playing around with OBS.

Mubashwer

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I had also been having trouble playing this shot in the Steam version. It was my "go to" shot in DBC '14. Now I only play it when the ball is outside the leg stump. However the "lofted" version works pretty well.

Anyways, the leg glance is a very often a relatively late-shot and batsman needs to have precise footwork along the line of the ball, making it difficult to execute.

Here is a video where I bowled an AI batsman who attempted a leg glance thinking the ball would go straight but it was a fast leg-cutter: bowled (fast leg cutter) - Streamable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread