Your Cricket Leg Muscles

I don't think you'll risk growth but there is a disease called Osgood-Schlatter's (not serious but is painful and can stop you playing sport for a while) which causes pain and swelling around the knee joint.

It's very common in teenage boys who play a lot of sport, which is why taking proper advice and rest is critical.

However, you're doing the right thing in taking advice from a physio although the yoga and pilates can be very good for giving core strength, which is vital to a pace bowler. Do a little bit of research into it and I'm sure you'll find a good compromise.

Yes, a few of my mates got that Osgood-Schlatter's disease in their knees, I may be at greater risk since my knees are extremely weak. So weak that I cant squat for longer than 5 seconds without it hurting for about the same amount of time I was bending down afterwards.

Thanks for the tips, I will look into it and post when I find something.

Just to add that core strength relates to the stomach and lumber region of the back but you'll find that by working these areas you'll decrease stress on other body parts.

I have a major problem with my leg muscles in cricket. My legs are always so stiff to the point that I cannot bowl at full capacity at any point in my first spell and I don't usually get a second one. My legs seem to be just too stiff to run in and they feel ten times their actual weight.

Does anyone have any tips for how to get them loose prior to the innings. Should I do a few short sprints or a little jog around the boundary? Any specific stretches that are found to be effective and how long should I do them for.

This is a major problem because, not only does it mean I am poor at running in, I cannot achieve correct hang-time nor am I of any use in the field during or after my spell. Should I look to strengthen my legs over the winter with weighted ankle bands and leg press exercises, or will that make things worse.

Any help would be highly appriciated because it is a major problem and simply stretching out beforehand (with things such as the hamstring stretch and groin stretch) has little to no effect.

Simple leg weights, jogging and stretching help me.

I've started to get the same feeling in my legs this year, now that i've perfected my bowling/run up. I've been doing these simple excercises for a while now, but remember it's not always to do with with the strength. Sometimes it can be a mild form of cramp. Try and keep hydrated throughout the match. Put a bottle or 2 of water on the boundary so you can have a gulp between overs.

Users who are viewing this thread