Lost Causes...

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Picture the scene...

Your team is playing a one day match (lets say 50 overs). The opposition batted first and made a mammoth score. Your openers failed in reply, your middle order has failed. You are left with 1 decent batsman and the tail and you are way behind on the required rate. There is no way your are going to make their score, or get anywhere close.

What would you prefer to happen?

The batsman plays sensibly, doesn't get out and guides the team to a respectable, but ultimately losing, score.

Or

The batsman and the tail go out in a blaze of glory, they really go for the big shots, they push their luck, they hit a few fours and sixes but ultimately fall way short, but at least they provided some entertainment.

The choice, as they say, is yours........

PS. Be aware that if you prefer T20 to 50 over cricket your opinion is automatically wrong and null and void, so don't bother posting :D

Highlander999

ICC President
Would prefer the batsmen to play sensibly, and get themselves in for as long as possible. You never know, anything might happen later on in the match, but you need your wickets to find out

Manly

Thor
Tell said Batsman to hit out, and get the tail to slog away, because the sooner they get out, the sooner we can hit the beer.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'd tell the set batsman to monopolize the strike and try and hit as many boundaries as possible. Then hope that he pulls off a Kapil Dev-esque master innings. Gotta be optimistic and hope to pull off a miracle win!

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Well it depends on the team I guess, if it is New Zealand then the last batsmen would usually be Oram. So I would like to see them trying to win the game, Mills and Southee would do a have decent job I would guess. I always hate seeing a team give up, the tail has to show some fight.

So I would say blaze away.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
The first option. You can't get any closer to the required score if you give away your last wicket. Batting sensible will might not win you the game but it could get you a lot closer than trying to slog over the top.

King Cricket

International Coach
The batsman plays sensibly, doesn't get out and guides the team to a respectable, but ultimately losing, score

I will advocate this option. Then at least people will say that we have fought.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I consider the match in which Oram scored 101.
Cricinfo - 8th Match: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Jan 28, 2007

Although NZ made a compelling start, the top 5 batsmen contributed just 161 in pursuit of 343. Wickets in hand had already become a problem by the 30th over and even though the runs were coming thick and fast, the total was immense. They needed 7 an over from ball one and more than 10 an over from the last 14 overs. However, thanks to Oram and McCullum, an NZ win was plausible until the second last ball. In the end Australia won a match that appeared to be won from the outset, but not by much.

bladescape

Club Cricketer
I'd tell the set batsman to monopolize the strike and try and hit as many boundaries as possible. Then hope that he pulls off a Kapil Dev-esque master innings. Gotta be optimistic and hope to pull off a miracle win!

I will advocate this option. Then at least people will say that we have fought.

I concur completely!

Users who are viewing this thread