Your Cricket Marking Your Guard

Time 1 was due to lax fielding, whereupon the throw to the keeper was missed twice....

Time 2 was just quick running and an exceptionally slow outfield, and we had one for 'the arm' as the saying goes.

t20 - i ask for offstump
40 overs - middle

find it easier to be aggressive on off-stump :)

This will probably sound a stupid question, but why do you guys mark your guard. Because I have never done it and I think it makes no difference. I stand in line with leg as soon as I come out to out and usually I open or come one down

It doesn't sound stupid to me Ahmad. You just come out and put the bat down in the proximity of whatever stump you prefer. Use the markings that may already be there or go through the motions of bonding with the umps by asking for a guard....he/she probably doesn't care where you plonk your bat.

I always thought that I was quite scientific with my guard. As a tail ender I didn't like to get too close to the stumps if the bowler was hoying the ball down at 80 mph + (this was pre helmet days folks). There was always the problem of reading previous markings if the batsman was left handed...would occasionally mean that my guard would be middle and off or off stump, or even off off stump! I was never really at the crease long enough to benefit from a guard.

Well I use my spikes for that. I usually take middle and leg stump guard. Sometimes, I choose to take middle stump guard.

I use the corner of the bottom of the bat. Never did it any other way. I usually take guard on leg, then later on when I'm set I'll keep that guard but stand a couple of inches away so I have room to free my arms.

When I started I had an issue with showing my leg stump too much and being bowled around my legs. I find that a leg stump guard fixes that, but it brings my off stump awareness into question.

I always find that it's easier for me to see what I've done with the bat, no matter what other people have done. And since I play backyard cricket most times, there's never an umpire so I just follow the leg stump up to the popping crease and make my guard there.

Users who are viewing this thread