Match,Tour & Competition Experiences

not sure about the new ball making a difference, tbh, I just chucked it in to the format on the off chance... though I did notice in the first innings of that game I was getting a huge amount of reverse swing that tailed off with the new ball until i'd shined it up again...

Wow the fabled "reverse swing" I can't say that I have ever noticed the ball reverse which amazes me considering the amount of overs I've bowled and I'm always checking Big Eye throughout. Which leads me to this wonderful question. How often do you give it a rub? :)

One other question, do you play your games in casual mode or competition? The reason I ask is that I have recently switched to playing in competition mode and I've noticed a couple of things that didn't happen in casual such as nightwatchmen being used and far more sensible use of reviews.

Wow the fabled "reverse swing" I can't say that I have ever noticed the ball reverse which amazes me considering the amount of overs I've bowled and I'm always checking Big Eye throughout. Which leads me to this wonderful question. How often do you give it a rub? :)

One other question, do you play your games in casual mode or competition? The reason I ask is that I have recently switched to playing in competition mode and I've noticed a couple of things that didn't happen in casual such as nightwatchmen being used and far more sensible use of reviews.

I'm trying in this game to rub one out a bit more often ;) when I say reverse I'm not sure if it actually reversed in terms of going in when I press for out, but I noticed I was getting a lot of swing from overs 20-40 (in my custom format new ball at 40 overs)

I'm playing a competition at the moment - not noticed those things will look out for them

I'm trying in this game to rub one out a bit more often ;) when I say reverse I'm not sure if it actually reversed in terms of going in when I press for out, but I noticed I was getting a lot of swing from overs 20-40 (in my custom format new ball at 40 overs)

I'm playing a competition at the moment - not noticed those things will look out for them

In regards to swing the biggest change for me has been reducing the swing attribute for bowlers by a great deal which imo makes it far more realistic, ball swinging from off to leg rather than way down leg for example. This has resulted in me starting to notice the impact of the conditions. Sometimes the ball will go from doing very little to swinging massively even with the low attributes set.

Bowlers: As it is on amateur reduce all bowling attributes a bit (I'll give you some examples) but the important ones are swing as this gives a far more realistic playing experience, seems to get the AI playing a bit straighter and you actually notice a difference between clear days and cloudy/overcast ones

For spin bowlers I reduce drift to zero or 3/4 max. The drift balls will still drift a fair bit and again feels more realistic.

Some examples: J.Anderson R.Harris S.Finn S.Broad D.Steyn

Outswing 8 4 1 4 7

Inswing 2 1 1 2 2

The above is part of a message I sent to another member recently. Ignore the first bit about it being on amateur, the swing is the important part.

As you can see inswing is set ridiculously low. 1 swings the stock delivery from off to middle, while 2 swings from off to leg and gives you a good off-stump line to a LHB. I will usually have one bowler in a team with an inswinger rating between 4-7 so that I have a bowler that can swing the ball away from the lefty.

Now I don't bat much but I'm wondering how these settings will effect the batting experience. Will it make it easier due to the lower swing or will it bring the corridor of uncertainty into play which should (in theory) make batting a bit more difficult. I will test it when I have the time, which won't be for a while sadly.

It would be great if you could give these settings a go as I'd like to hear your opinion.

Edit, the swing ratings should be under the name but for some reason it changes when I post.

Bowlers: As it is on amateur reduce all bowling attributes a bit (I'll give you some examples) but the important ones are swing as this gives a far more realistic playing experience, seems to get the AI playing a bit straighter and you actually notice a difference between clear days and cloudy/overcast ones

For spin bowlers I reduce drift to zero or 3/4 max. The drift balls will still drift a fair bit and again feels more realistic.

Some examples: J.Anderson R.Harris S.Finn S.Broad D.Steyn

Outswing 8 4 1 4 7

Inswing 2 1 1 2 2

The above is part of a message I sent to another member recently. Ignore the first bit about it being on amateur, the swing is the important part.

As you can see inswing is set ridiculously low. 1 swings the stock delivery from off to middle, while 2 swings from off to leg and gives you a good off-stump line to a LHB. I will usually have one bowler in a team with an inswinger rating between 4-7 so that I have a bowler that can swing the ball away from the lefty.

Now I don't bat much but I'm wondering how these settings will effect the batting experience. Will it make it easier due to the lower swing or will it bring the corridor of uncertainty into play which should (in theory) make batting a bit more difficult. I will test it when I have the time, which won't be for a while sadly.

It would be great if you could give these settings a go as I'd like to hear your opinion.

Edit, the swing ratings should be under the name but for some reason it changes when I post.

Do you have players and or teams online already set to these attributes? If not would you be willing to do so????

Hey Dutch no I haven't as yet the main reason being that I have set up my teams in a way that gives me a good bowling experience on amateur level but these teams cannot be used in career mode or simulated with as you will get crazy scores, 600+ for 2 for example in the longer formats. So if people were to DL them they are going to experience all sorts of problems. I sent Richowebb my guidelines to see how he would get on with it as he stated that he prefers bowling in test matches and this is what I like too as you well know.

It's still very much a work in progress which is on hold again due to real work, hopefully by the time I get to spend some time on DBC again patch3 will be out because this will almost definitely mean I'm going to have to reconfigure everything. That being said I'm more than happy to send you the guidelines I sent Richowebb and you can give it a go.

Hey Dutch no I haven't as yet the main reason being that I have set up my teams in a way that gives me a good bowling experience on amateur level but these teams cannot be used in career mode or simulated with as you will get crazy scores, 600+ for 2 for example in the longer formats. So if people were to DL them they are going to experience all sorts of problems. I sent Richowebb my guidelines to see how he would get on with it as he stated that he prefers bowling in test matches and this is what I like too as you well know.

It's still very much a work in progress which is on hold again due to real work, hopefully by the time I get to spend some time on DBC again patch3 will be out because this will almost definitely mean I'm going to have to reconfigure everything. That being said I'm more than happy to send you the guidelines I sent Richowebb and you can give it a go.

Cheers mate. yeah the guidelines would be helpful. I like bowling as well and am desperate to give it a more varied expereince.

I'll definitely try tweaking some settings - anything to get the bowling feeling more natural/realistic/rewarding

I haven't seen any reverse swing in the game, i.e. you bowl a conventional outswinger and the ball swings the other way. Consistently pressing Square on PS3 does get the ball to swing more but it's not necessarily reverse swing. Anyway the concept of reverse swing doesn't really matter much in a video game coz as a bowler you wouldn't want outswing controls to suddenly result in an inswinger and vice-versa. This would be penalising bowlers and making life more difficult for them.

As far as batsmen are concerned they can't really tell conventional swing from reverse swing in a video game - all they can see is swing. Maybe what devs can do is add exaggerated swing (conventional) when the ball is oldish and call it as reverse swing.

Rebel League - Round 1, Match 2: Australia Rebel XI vs South Africa XI

The Rebel League continues with the Australian Rebels (AI) playing the South Africa XI (Me).

South Africa won the toss and chose to bowl.

South Africa are controversially awarding full Springbok caps for the matches, and debutants Stephen Jefferies and Vincent Van der Bijl were given the new ball. Van der Bijl immediately caused trouble with his extra bounce and took a wicket in his first over as a bouncer got big on Steve Smith and he top-edged a cut which was smartly taken by keeper Ray Jennings.
LD1Wtt6.png

Jefferies struggled to get the same control, pushing too many balls down the leg side from left-arm over. Van der Bijl was sticking to a short-ball theory, and John Dyson and Greg Shipperd were struggling to cope with exaggerated bounce.
qMdQIn9.png

Dyson was the more fluent of the two, and Australia reached 38/1 off the first 10 overs with Dyson on 22 and Shipperd on 10. Garth Le Roux replaced Jefferies and hit his straps immediately, and the scoring rate dropped further, just 10 runs coming off the next 4 and a half overs... with pressure rising, Van der Bijl dismissed Shipperd with an almost carbon copy of the Smith wicket, and Australia were on 48/2.
HGGCF5R.png

Captain Kim Hughes - wearing his Test Baggy Green - joined John Dyson. Van der Bijl had bowled a long spell, and was replaced by Procter. Procter and Le Roux were bowling extremely economically, and though neither Dyson or Hughes looked like getting out the scoring rate was slow. When Clive Rice replaced Procter the scoring slowed even further. When the innings reached the 30-over mark - a third of the way through - the score was just 2/86. Rice had conceded just 5 runs from 4 overs, and Le Roux just 9 from 6.
IGHEDvs.png

With Le Roux and Rice bowling so cheaply, it took a further 4 overs and 4 balls for Dyson and Hughes to score the further 12 runs to bring up the 50 partnership off 132 balls.
UIxn8oB.png

With a new ball due at 40 overs, South Africa Captain Mike Procter took a gamble and introduced part time spinner Peter Kirsten into the attack for Le Roux, gambling that he might prompt the batsmen to take a few more risks... sure enough the risk paid off with Dyson taking on a big shot to try and bring up his 50 but only finding Barry Richards in the deep, going for 47 off 112 balls to leave the score on 106/3
WMQOx8p.png

This brought South African-born Kepler Wessels to the crease, and the atmosphere cracked up a notch... Wessels started quickly, and coped well when Van der Bijl returned with the new ball and tested him against the short ball. Wessels was scoring relatively quickly and when the innings reached the halfway stage, the score was 144/3 with Wessels on 22 from 32.
aTk3NTA.png

Shortly after, Hughes went to his 50, off 100 balls.
1LITaxg.png

Although there seemed to be little happening in terms of chances, and the partnership went past 50 and on towards 100, the scoring rate remained slow. Wessels in particular began to get bogged down... From 22 off 32, he went to 38 off 68 and then took an agonising 30 more balls in adding just 6 before Rice had him snaffled by Lawrence Seef at mid-on as he tried to break the shackles. The score was 205/4, the partnership being broken on 99.
cPH0SSk.png

Mike Haysman joined Hughes, with the day almost at an end 20 overs of the innings to play tomorrow. Could they get through to stumps without further loss and accelerate in the morning? The first part was helped as rain came in, closing the day 2 overs early with the Australians 209/4.
b1ZJn3Z.png

With day 2 starting, South Africa were probably the happier of the two sides having bowled very economically and restricted Australia to little more than 3 an over. However, Australia had 6 wickets in hand and one well set batsman so these next 20 overs would be critical. Could Australia accelerate?

Scoring quickly against this South African attack was easier said than done, and Hughes was caught between securing his ton or kicking the score on... ultimately he did neither, edging a ball from Procter on to his stumps to go for 97 with the score now 230/5.
mU0mmU0.png

Haysman was really struggling even to lay bat on ball, and a wild slash at another ball from Procter saw him caught behind by Jennings for 12 off 36 balls - a poor innings in the circumstances.
SoqidEY.png

The score of 241/6 very nearly became 242/7 in the next over as Rice - still bowling extremely economically - induced Rixon to edge the first ball he faced, but Jennings put a difficult chance down.

After that Hohns and Rixon did their best to push things along but with Van der Bijl and Le Roux bowling the last 10 overs with a new ball, they had taken the score to just 275/6 at the innings closure.
O1d5L7o.png

South Africa will be very happy to have restricted Australia to a score under 300. However, Australia have a decent attack so until the Suuth African innings is finished it's hard to say definitively that they are on top.

Wow!!!! That was a great review of the game @blockerdave ,would have been nice if Hughes had got that century was a really patience innings by him...

Wow!!!! That was a great review of the game @blockerdave ,would have been nice if Hughes had got that century was a really patience innings by him...

Thanks! That was an interesting innings to bowl - I struggled controlling left arm swing but with the other bowlers I was really getting good results and stopping them scoring. Still not managed to take full 10 wickets in any of the three innings I've bowled in this competition yet though at least keeping the scores down... A bit of a shame the AI isn't more situationally aware and attacks more at the end of the innings...

Users who are viewing this thread