Mitchell Johnson

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I dont want Mitch to be in the team for the 3rd Test, put McDonald or Watson in for him if Lee isnt ready yet.

So replacing a bowler who can bat a bit (Johnson) with a batsmen who can bowl a bit (Watson).

We can't be relying on Watson to get through anymore than 15 overs a day maximum, ideally, he would be batting at 6, providing 5-10 overs of bowling per innings, and that's it. If he is relied on as a frontline bowler, or even a bowling allrounder, he will get injured again.

dajesmac

Club Captain
So you are saying, when he goes to Australia or a country where the Kookaburra is used, he should be selected in the team?

It sounds a bit stupid selecting a player on what ball you use, purely because he can't use one. He needs to work on it, because I still think he will be in our next Ashes squad to England, if he keeps up his previous form, and stays injury free (something I doubt he will do).

I didn't say anything like that.

But England is the only place that uses Duke as far as I'm aware, and because his inability to use the ball is so blatant that he should not be taken to England.

I thin you'll find once he's back with the kooka ball he'll do well again.

dajesmac added 2 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

So replacing a bowler who can bat a bit (Johnson) with a batsmen who can bowl a bit (Watson).

We can't be relying on Watson to get through anymore than 15 overs a day maximum, ideally, he would be batting at 6, providing 5-10 overs of bowling per innings, and that's it. If he is relied on as a frontline bowler, or even a bowling allrounder, he will get injured again.

Clark for Johnson, Watson for Hughes for me.

P

pcfan123

Clark for Johnson, Watson for Hughes for me.

Clark for Johnson seems to be obvious at this point but I would still give Hughes another go, especially since it might be a draw due to rain, might as well see how he goes before making drastic changes.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Misfiring Johnson to get nod for third Test

STRUGGLING paceman Mitchell Johnson looks to have held on to his place for the third Ashes Test after receiving resounding support from Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke, who said he was back to top form in the final spell of his unimpressive practice match against Northamptonshire

:facepalm

I just wanted to use that :D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Only when Border left our selection panel, have we seen how good he was. Most of his articles about selections have been spot on.

"You want him in your side if he's bowling well because he's a genuine wicket-taker, but Australia simply can't let England get away like they did at Lord's.

"To be almost 200 in three hours before losing their first wicket, it's really tough to come back from there.

"It can be tough sometimes on a flat track to take wickets but at least make them work for their runs. They got them so quickly it gave them the high ground too easily. That can't be allowed to happen again."

Border's fear for wayward Mitch - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

woodzy

Club Cricketer
Johnson simply cannot handle the duke ball. That's my theory. The seam is huge compared to the kookaburra which is affecting his release,making it a scrambled seam and making it drift down leg.

With the kookaburra he destroyed South Africa and played some good cricket in the World twenty20 and in the warm ups.

He HAS to be dropped though, Clark should come in, Siddle, Hilfy and Ritzy to stay.

Also, I agree Steyn is better than Johnson.

Well the addition of Graham Manou complicates things. He actually averages less with that bat than Ian Healy did which is a bit of a worry. In saying that, he did average 46 in the 08-09 Sheffield Shield season. If Manou is playing in the 4th test I think you need to bring in Andrew McDonald (if Mitchell Johnson doesnt do anything which im expecting) and bring in Clark for Siddle, so this is the line up I would play
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Manou
McDonald
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

Eon

Club Cricketer
how can you come the conclusion to drop Siddle... he's been bowling well and if anyone should be dropped it should be hussey, he hasnt done anything in the past 3 test series he has been in.

And James Hopes > Ronald McDonald

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The plumb LBW not given is the type of delivery that Johnson needs to bowl more off. If he wants to be one of the greats then he needs spend some time working on his wrist and arm position to help him swing it.

woodzy

Club Cricketer
how can you come the conclusion to drop Siddle... he's been bowling well and if anyone should be dropped it should be hussey, he hasnt done anything in the past 3 test series he has been in.

And James Hopes > Ronald McDonald

Siddle is bowling well but hes going for too many runs at the moment and its a big problem.

As for Hopes, Id actually take him over McDonald for his batting. In terms of bowling id say they are about even. Although many people would probably argue that McDonald is a better bowler because hes slightly quicker.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
McDonald has the height but he is not quicker than Hopes. McDonald bowled about the 125km/h mark whereas Hopes was around the 130km/h in ODIs and he use to be able to touch 140km/h. I would take McDonald easy, he has the height which at least gives his medium pace some venom. He also can swing the ball. You wouldn't bat either in the top 6 so the only way they make the side is as a bowler and so McDonald takes it.

woodzy

Club Cricketer
McDonald has the height but he is not quicker than Hopes. McDonald bowled about the 125km/h mark whereas Hopes was around the 130km/h in ODIs and he use to be able to touch 140km/h. I would take McDonald easy, he has the height which at least gives his medium pace some venom. He also can swing the ball. You wouldn't bat either in the top 6 so the only way they make the side is as a bowler and so McDonald takes it.

God Id say youd have more chance of seeing Hayley's comment than Hopes hitting 140km/h. Must have been ages ago. I think theyd both be useful in tests; but your right definitely McDonald is more suited to the longer version. Hopes's cutters would be useful and can cause problems.

To take a slightly different angle, does anyone find it surprising that Nathan Bracken, arguably Australia's best swing bowler was not selected for the tour of England. I find it such a bizarre decision to leave him out. Not only does he swing the ball and take wickets, but hes accurate as well and doesn't go for many of runs. To me, English conditions would suit Bracken better than any other country in the world. Id be prepared to state here and now that Bracken will be the leading wicket taker in the ODI series providing he doesnt get injured.

Eon

Club Cricketer
Hopes can bowl really good outswingers, he was the pick of the bowlers for QLD in the sheffield sheild final. good line and length and bowled about 130km/h all day. he is a better batsman then mcdonald easy.

And bracken prob didnt get picked because he hasnt really done that much since the ODI series in australia against SA. he has been pretty average since then, i think people have started to figure him out a bit.

and back on topic johnson bowled alot better last night, swinging the ball back into the right hand consistently and i think he will be a real force in the last 2 tests

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It was good seeing him back to the form he displayed in SA. Not fully there yet but getting there. Economy still needs work as he was bowling under 3 an over in SA. The only worry is the fact he needed 3 matches to get himself back to that mark. If this was a 3 Test series we would have lost it and Johnson would have peaked too late.

Eon

Club Cricketer
yea.. but they should have realised by now he isnt a bowler you can rest and then bring back with him taking 5 wickets with out having to get back into the groove... sure it definatly took him a little too long to do so.

but it happened everytime they have rested him.
it would be nice to have him bowl like he was in SA, he was superb there.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Our selectors clearly stuffed up. He should have been playing County cricket instead of ODIs and T20s. Same with Clark and Lee, especially Lee who might not have got injured with more overs under his belt allowing his body to get use to the workload.

Users who are viewing this thread