Final nomination list for ICC awards out, Indians dominate list

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Test cricketer of the year, definitely Gambhir, how the hack anyone can forget his performance throughout the year in all conditions and in all test playing nations India toured.

india only toured NZ in the time period, the rest of the matches were at home. and samaraweera has shone in a team with sangakkara and jayawardene, both of whom are actually better test cricketers than sachin and dravid these days imo (last two years both these two have averages over 70 while sachin, laxman and dravid have 53, 54 and 35)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I just read that article. I had no clue that there was not a single South African in the shortlist! Pathetic considering they're probably the best international team out there right now.

Brook

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
There should be at least one Saffer on that list I agree. On that cricinfo story the comments keep going on about SA winning in Australia, but Australia did exactly the same to SA. Also Johnson was the leading wicket taker by 30 wickets in that time. And SA hardly played any tests in that year, they played Australia home and away and the end of a series against England. They played 7 tests in the year, won 3 and lost 4.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
SA definitely got screwed over by their schedule, just looking up the stats they played half the ODIs that the other teams did.

On Johnson for the calendar year he is the leading wicket taker in ODIs and equal leading wicket taker in Test. Combine that with his test batting and I can see where the ICC is coming from.

Brook

Club Captain
On Johnson for the calendar year he is the leading wicket taker in ODIs and equal leading wicket taker in Test. Combine that with his test batting and I can see where the ICC is coming from.

Do you mean 2009 or the ICC Award year.

stefan

International Coach
Where is Wayne Parnell and Roeloff van der merwe for emerging player of the year?? Also its a joke that AB de Villiers isn't nominated for either the test or odi players of the year.

Chanderpaul only has 100 runs more than him in odi's and he played 5 games more. While AB also has the vastly better strikerate of 91 compared to Shiv's 77. So how does shiv get nominated but not AB?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
To me ABDV was player of the year last season. He made runs in test matches , one day internationals and t20 cricket.

Dhoni's numbers:

Tests: 544 runs @ 54.4
Odi: 1066 @ 59.22
T20: 112 @ 18.6 Strike Rate 83.18 :mad:

Gauti's numbers:

Test: 1269 @ 84.6, 100 = 5, 50 = 4
Odi: 643 @ 33.84
T20: 177 @ 22.12 Strike Rate 108 :mad:

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Where is Wayne Parnell and Roeloff van der merwe for emerging player of the year?? Also its a joke that AB de Villiers isn't nominated for either the test or odi players of the year.

Chanderpaul only has 100 runs more than him in odi's and he played 5 games more. While AB also has the vastly better strikerate of 91 compared to Shiv's 77. So how does shiv get nominated but not AB?

I agree about De Villiers and it's a massive joke that he isn't up for any award. But just why would Van der Merwe be up for emerging player of the year, he hasn't even played test cricket and he's only played five ODI's against Australia. You could pretty much say the same for Parnell too. You never know though, if Parnell makes his test debut against England he might be up for this award next year.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Sehwag numbers:

ODI: 782 @ 60.15, 100 = 2, 50 = 2, SR = 130

Yuvraj numbers:

ODI: 1029 @ 49, 100 = 4, 50 = 4, SR = 102

These stats cab be wrong as well so do not crucify me.

scion_sid added 0 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Parnell and RVDM will be running for award next year if they manage to keep place in side.

stefan

International Coach
I agree about De Villiers and it's a massive joke that he isn't up for any award. But just why would Van der Merwe be up for emerging player of the year, he hasn't even played test cricket and he's only played five ODI's against Australia. You could pretty much say the same for Parnell too. You never know though, if Parnell makes his test debut against England he might be up for this award next year.

Is the emerging player only for test cricket?? Roelf has performed in every game he has played 20/20 and odi's. The same applies to parnell.

If you want it only for test players then call it the emerging test players award.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Is the emerging player only for test cricket?? Roelf has performed in every game he has played 20/20 and odi's. The same applies to parnell.

If you want it only for test players then call it the emerging test players award.

Siddle's only played one ODI for Australia, Hilfenhaus has done very little in his ODI career. Yet those two are both in the running, I think it's safe to assume that the people running the awards rate test cricket far higher. Doing well in 20/20 mean's very little when comparing it to test performances.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Its how it should be tbh, although harsh on those guys Test cricket is the ultimate format.
AB definitely should have been there though.

Users who are viewing this thread