ICC Awards 2009 nominees list announced

I was being sarcastic about Modi coming to New Zealand btw, what the heck would he actually know about cricket.

Just for the record you do know that David Warner played a handful of 20/20 and List A cricket games for NSW before his Australian debut. He'd already smashed two big 100's in List A cricket the season he made his debut for Australia. I'm not even an Australian fan but I'd heard of him before the IPL had signed him, as would many other cricket fans. The IPL did nothing for his career and it certainly didn't help him crack into the Australian team.

Yes, we deserve the Spirit of cricket award. Unlike Australia, we don't cheat to win games. Also, when Australia cheated to win the Sydney Test, gamesmanship was "alright and a part of the game". But when Australia tasted their own medicine against England in the 1st Ashes Test '09, suddenly, it "wasn't within the spirit of the game". Rubbish ! Whiners ! :laugh

Suck it up, you lost and so did we.

With India's situation, I'm guessing this was the one with the multiple rigged decisions, just blame the umpires. We did. But in the Ashes, who really cares if you split liquid over your gloves, it doesn't take a fat physio and the 12th man to bring on a pair of gloves, that's just genuine time wasting right there. But it was ultimately Ponting's fault for playing too many spinners in the final 10 or so overs. Panesar was leaving deliveries! Thats how costly it was, would've rather seen pacemen attacking the stumps IMO.

Oh and here are my picks.

Code:
[B]Cricketer of the Year:[/B]
Can't decide.

[B]Test Player of the Year:[/B]
Stuart Broad (You know how the panel are) or Michael Clarke (AUS) or
Tillakaratne Dilshan (SRI) or  Mitchell Johnson (Not so much) or
Peter Siddle (AUS) or Graeme Smith (RSA) or Dale Steyn (RSA) or
Andrew Strauss (ENG) or Graeme Swann (ENG) or Daniel Vettori (NZL)
[B]
ODI Player of the Year:[/B]
Can't decide.
[B]
Emerging Player:[/B]
Ben Hilfenhaus (AUS) or Philip Hughes (AUS) or Graham Onions (ENG)
or Peter Siddle (AUS).

[B]Associate and Affiliate Player of the Year:[/B]
Someone from Ireland, their gun.

[B]Twenty20 International Performance of the Year:[/B]
Shahid Afridi (PAK) or Tillakaratne Dilshan (SRI) or Umar Gul (PAK)
[B]
Women's Cricketer of the Year:[/B]
Charlotte Edwards (ENG) or Laura Marsh (ENG)
[B]
Umpire of the Year:[/B]
Aleem Dar (PAK), but Rudi Koertzon anyone?

Last edited:
What rudi as best umpire fair enough but simon taufel is the best one for getting the award.You haven't decide best odi and test player lol!

Cricketer of the Year:
Daniel Vettori (NZL)

Test Player of the Year:
AB de Villiers (RSA).

ODI Player of the Year:
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (IND)/Ajantha Mendis (SRI)

Emerging Player:
Jesse Ryder (NZL)

Associate and Affiliate Player of the Year:
Ryan ten Doeschate (NED)

Twenty20 International Performance of the Year:
Tillakaratne Dilshan (SRI)

Women's Cricketer of the Year:
Suzie Bates (NZL)

Umpire of the Year:
Don't know, don't care.

ODI cricketer of the year is the toughest one.
Will be interesting to see who wins it

I was being sarcastic about Modi...

Look, for the people in the subcontinent, England, SA, WI (in short everyone outside the Oceania which includes only Aus & NZ that play Level 1 cricket), we honestly had no idea who David Warner is and what he does. Also, you cannot deny the fact that common sense makes you think - "Look, the Indians are paying huge sums for Shaun Marsh & David Warner & obviously they've seen something in them that we haven't. I think we need to keep an eye on these lads". Also, you CAN'T break into a national side on the back of just 2 100s without even making a first-class debut ! And Mr.Modi's played a MASSIVE role in giving a platform to unknown cricketers to step up and perform. And Warner & Marsh are just 2 of the many people who have benefited from the IPL. If the players THEMSELVES come out and say that "its all thanks to the IPL", who are you and me to debate on what possibly influenced a selection? Also, it is spectacular the impact Mr.Modi has on the game without even having to hold a bat & ball in hand. He's revolutionized the sport without even playing it. Isn't that Exceptional? As for the subject of trolling, your conspicuous silence really shows who the trolls are, lad ;)

Suck it up, you lost and so did we.
Umpire of the Year:
Aleem Dar (PAK), but Rudi Koertzon anyone?

My friend, tell me the name and nationality of the man who tampered his bats illegally with graphite layering? Also, tell me the name and nationality of the man who played with a squash ball inside the gloves? Tell me the team which talks of gentlemen agreements before matches and yet comes onto the field and claims bump-ball catches? I'm with the Jeff Thomson, Rudi Koertzen & the Poms on this one. Ricky is a whiner. He's the first person to try and use gamesmanship to his advantage and also the first one to complain if someone uses it against him. He's done it countless times with India and South Africa and asks them to accept it coz its a "part of the game" But when the guys hit back, it apparently isn't a part of the game. He's the first person to run crying to the Match Ref's room. Ricky doesn't hold a copyright of using it, or does he? :laugh

One Rudi upset you. Imagine the predicament of being a subcontinental team and having to deal with Steve Bucknor, Darrell Hair, Chris Broad, Mike Procter and other match refs and umpires who are known to be hostile to Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India & Bangladesh !

Look, for the people in the subcontinent, England, SA, WI (in short everyone outside the Oceania which includes only Aus & NZ that play Level 1 cricket), we honestly had no idea who David Warner is and what he does. Also, you cannot deny the fact that common sense makes you think - "Look, the Indians are paying huge sums for Shaun Marsh & David Warner & obviously they've seen something in them that we haven't. I think we need to keep an eye on these lads". Also, you CAN'T break into a national side on the back of just 2 100s without even making a first-class debut ! And Mr.Modi's played a MASSIVE role in giving a platform to unknown cricketers to step up and perform. And Warner & Marsh are just 2 of the many people who have benefited from the IPL. If the players THEMSELVES come out and say that "its all thanks to the IPL", who are you and me to debate on what possibly influenced a selection? Also, it is spectacular the impact Mr.Modi has on the game without even having to hold a bat & ball in hand. He's revolutionized the sport without even playing it. Isn't that Exceptional? As for the subject of trolling, your conspicuous silence really shows who the trolls are, lad ;)

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh I'm sorry but just no. Warner made his debut for Australia before he played in the IPL. As for the Indian's paying Warner a bucket load of money becuae they've seen something in him the Australian selectors haven't deserves another :laugh. Warner broke into the Australian 20/20 team because of his preformances for NSW, nothing more nothing less. He then broke into the ODI team because of his performance in the 1st T20 against South Africa.

Everyone's talking about Warner's 89 he made against South Africa in his T20 international debut, what does it have to do with the IPL?

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh I'm sorry ....

Well, you don't naively pick a lad whose played a "few T20s and got 2 big List-A tons for the national side just because you think "Gee, this guy scored ONE ton in 2 games. He's a genius. Lets pick him". There's gotta be something more to it. If this isn't convincing enough for you, I guess I'll havta stop responding to your comments on the subject.

Then why is everyone saying Warner? He wasn't that brilliant.

Exactly. Finally someone gets my point. Just because "YOU" think that IPL didn't make a difference to Warner doesn't mean it didn't ! Also, he was dropped from the ODI team in less than a month. I don't have any idea why he should be given the award. Just because you are Australian doesn't mean you guys are the only ones who have the right to win an award. Temme one Australian who has taken a hat-trick in T20s. Forget that, temme the guy who has the best economy in T20s? (Hint- He isn't Australian). I think Umar Gul & Shahid Afridi are strong contenders.

For the graphite layering ....

So I guess, we should switch back to the topic ;-).

My Test Team of the year -
Gautam Gambhir
Andrew Strauss
Sachin Tendulkar
M Jayawardene
JP Duminy
MS Dhoni
Stuart Broad
Ishant Sharma
Dale Steyn
Harbhajan Singh
M Muralitharan

Last edited by a moderator:
And you just don't seem to have an answer for the trolling thing, do you? You guys are fun, you know. When you guys troll, its banter. When we guys banter, its troll. Lol :p

... and thats how Planet Cricket rolls. Oh and, with the best Economy Rate in T20's, its technically Mohammad Yousuf.

Well, you don't naively pick a lad whose played a "few T20s and got 2 big List-A tons for the national side just because you think "Gee, this guy scored ONE ton in 2 games. He's a genius. Lets pick him". There's gotta be something more to it. If this isn't convincing enough for you, I guess I'll havta stop responding to your comments on the subject.

And you just don't seem to have an answer for the trolling thing, do you? You guys are fun, you know. When you guys troll, its banter. When we guys banter, its troll. Lol :p

So you don't think it was his performances with the bat for NSW, you think it was because the IPL gave him a contract that he was selected for Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's talking about Warner's 89 he made against South Africa in his T20 international debut, what does it have to do with the IPL?

I dunno. Just the fact that everyone was bumming off him after.

... As for me thinking you were being a troll your first post in this thread was way off topic and it isn't anywhere near "banter".

In response to what you said, I don't think I have anything to say after this "honest" answer from skrillex -
... and thats how Planet Cricket rolls...

As for what I said not being banter, well thats practically the opinion of everyone in India & South Africa & England. All I did was say it ! ;)

rahuldravidfan added 1 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Lets revert back to the topic now. It is interesting to know that Yousuf has the best Econ rate. Lol. During the Ashes, cricinfo wrote and I quote -
Anderson went 54 innings without a duck. Monstrous, ugly effort and what a shame it's ended. But fear not - here comes England's best batsman at The Oval: Steve Harmison, averaging a mere 119. (Source - 5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval, Aug 20-23, 2009 | Cricket Commentary | Cricinfo.com)
119. Awesome :P

My Test Team of the year -
Gautam Gambhir
Andrew Strauss (vc)
Sachin Tendulkar
M Jayawardene
JP Duminy
MS Dhoni (c) + (wk)
Stuart Broad
Ishant Sharma
Dale Steyn
Harbhajan Singh