Mohammad Yousuf after conversion to Islam

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think its a fair comparison to make - Mohammad Yousuf before converting to Islam and after converting to Islam.

It's been nearly 3 full years since he has converted from Christianity to Islam, and thus I feel it would be interesting to see what the statistics show.

Yousuf Youhana announced on September 17, 2005 that he converted to Islam 3 months ago, and will thus change his name to Mohammad Yousuf.

Therefore, the conversion was probably around June 17, 2005.

In Test Cricket:

Before conversion to Islam - Yousuf averaged 47.46 runs per innings at a strike rate of 52.58 - which is still good, but the next stat is even better!

After conversion to Islam - Yousuf averaged 78.06 runs per innings as at strike rate of 60.14

In ODIs, a similar result can be seen

Before conversion to Islam - Yousuf averaged 41.46 runs per innings at a strike rate of 75.22

After conversion to Islam - Yousuf averaged 48.53 runs per innings at a similar strike rate of 75.68

Conclusion to be made?

Danish Kaneria should also convert to Islam, thus to gain more wickets, as Yousuf made runs :p

I've decided to allow this thread to go, but with a very short leash on anyone who starts a religious war.

Pretty amazing stats. Do you reckon its superstition? Does he feel his new religion gives him more self confidence that he can achieve or is it a coincidence? Its a pretty interesting point you have made though.

Pretty amazing stats. Do you reckon its superstition? Does he feel his new religion gives him more self confidence that he can achieve or is it a coincidence? Its a pretty interesting point you have made though.
The late Bob Woolmer noted in 2006 after his record-breaking year (Over 1700 runs breaking Viv Richards' record for the Most Runs in a Calendar Year) that Mohammad Yousuf found a "new balance" in his life.

It is very interesting though...

It's got nothing to do with Islam, I'ma muslim, and please, we're already seen as great people in this world, so don't make it worse.

Close this now.

Ignoring the specifics of Islam for a moment, I am quite surprised that a conversion could give anyone as much mental clarity as it did in Yousuf unless he really did have a very strong belief. After all, his mother disowned him (or so I have read) after his conversion and surely this would contribute to mental turmoil rather than clarity. Certainly a very interesting case though, it is fair to see that it is too much of an improvement to be a coincidence.

superstition Isn't Islamic anyways.

Well there's certainly the development of his game as a possible reason, but perhaps he became very committed to Islam and it did provide him with new mental clarity? Belief goes a long way.

it has nothing to do with islam, not offending to the religion. not superstition as well. it has more to do with self-belief and faith in a particular thing. one can have that faith in religion , god, or just truth. all would lead to success.

But faith in God and truth is all part of Islam, but it depends, I mean, I don't want you guys to think we're trying to promote something here, thats why I've asked for closing, I mean it's personal, I believe that if you have faith in something with a true heart in it, you can achieve what you believe in, whether you’d be religious or not. IMO religion helps, but being superstition does not.

Also, Yousuf was in a now or never situation, where he had to prove that he’s one of the best out there, or just fade away just like any other average batsman. He did it, and he's just amazing.

I've liked him when he was a Christian I liked him even more because he is a Muslim and on top that a great batsman. He's a Pakistani, and that makes me proud.

Last edited:
But faith in God and truth is all part of Islam, but it depends, I mean, I don't want you guys to think we're trying to promote something here, thats why I've asked for closing, I mean it's personal, I believe that if you have faith in something with a true heart in it, you can achieve what you believe in, whether you’d be religious or not. IMO religion helps, but being superstition does not.

Also, Yousuf was in a now or never situation, where he had to prove that he’s one of the best out there, or just fade away just like any other average batsman. He did it, and he's just amazing.

I've liked him when he was a Christian I liked him even more because he is a Muslim and on top that a great batsman. He's a Pakistani, and that makes me proud.
I really don't think anyone in 2005 would drop Yousuf from their test or ODI team...

Not sure what you're on about - at the time he didn't really have to prove much.

There was always a standard expected from him (in 2004/05 and 2005), and he always lived up to that standard.

He was, and still is a great player of the current era. And thing one can only credit him for all that he has achieved, first as Yousuf Youhana and then as Mohammad Yousuf.

I dont know how it is in Pakistan, but Yousuf Youhana seems more like a Muslim name to me. And I dint know for a long time that he was actually a Chrisitian.

Well, there had always been a lot of pressure on him for not being a muslim, and he was occaisionally made a scapegoat of because of this previous to his conversion, so perhaps with the new found support of specific elements of Pakistan and the media he got a weight off his mind.

More realistically, he hit the time in his life where he completed his final stage of 'growing up' he converted to Islam and this coupled with a more measured maturity and approach to life he really kicked on and hasn't looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread