Mohammad Yousuf after conversion to Islam

He was, and still is a great player of the current era. And thing one can only credit him for all that he has achieved, first as Yousuf Youhana and then as Mohammad Yousuf.

I dont know how it is in Pakistan, but Yousuf Youhana seems more like a Muslim name to me. And I dint know for a long time that he was actually a Chrisitian.
Technically speaking Yousuf is a Muslim name...

But his entire family (except for wife) are Christians, so I'm not sure where his first name of Yousuf came from.

Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him) was a Prophet of Islam, and there was a Prophet Yousuf (Peace Be Upon Him) - technically speaking Mohammad Yousuf is more of a "Muslim name". Just thought I'd clear that up.

Now, getting back on topic (please don't give me an infraction :p), I think with Yousuf's conversion to Islam, he did become more "mature" in his life, which helped his cricket.

I just wonder whether this man can play till he is 39 or 40 (like Lara, who I believe last played an ODI when he was 39?)

Well, there had always been a lot of pressure on him for not being a muslim, and he was occaisionally made a scapegoat of because of this previous to his conversion, so perhaps with the new found support of specific elements of Pakistan and the media he got a weight off his mind.

That's news to me. Could you give me an example of where he was pressured for not being Muslim and/or being made a scapegoat due to this reason?

I don't think there's anything particular about Islam that has made him a better player or anything particular about Christianity that made him a lesser player before. I think that converting, which I believe he did sincerely, removed some pressure off him and as others have said, it provided him with a more mature presence and a commitment to something greater that has provided him with more clarity.

But, there's nothing peculiar about Islam that provides those things. That would be like saying there's something special about Hinduism, because Sachin has been able to succeed to such great extents, or that there is something special about Christianity, because the Don was able to thrust himself to the top of the cricketing world. The success says more about the person, than it does about any of the religions. Lance Armstrong won seven grueling Tour de Frances in a row, is considered to be one of the greatest sportsmen in history, and he is atheist. But, he has gotten that sense of maturity and clarity from something else in his life, mainly his fight against cancer.

Last edited:
exactly, Religion is a personal thing, if your a Muslim great, if you are a Hindu great, a Jew great, a Christian great, a atheist great (erm, ;P). A good person, and that’s what is brilliant.

Confidence, belief. It must have been bugging him at the back of his mind, he might not have felt that he fit in with the team. Maybe childhood issues, always felt left out as a kid due to being Christian and not being able to join them at Ramadan or celebrate during Eid or taking prayer breaks in school like the others. Maybe his parents forced him to stay Christian. So when he converted, he finally felt accepted and free from the oppressiveness of his parents? Allowing him to be more free and confident in all aspects of his life, including cricket?

I've heard Kaneria say in interviews Thank Allah, etc.

So I always contemplated he may have converted, but not announced it publicly.

It might be that Kaneria says Allah for God (in Hinduism), although I usually don't hear Christians and Hindus say Allah (when they mean God)

zMario added 1 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

I heard that his parents have literally shunned him after his conversion.
His entire family shunned him ; not just his parents.

His brother works at a car-wash in the UK somewhere I believe. He still remains a Christian as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Converting / Changing religons is an important point in someone's life, and it is quite notable how Mohammad Yousuf's career shot up after he converted.

zMario added 1 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

He always visits Temples when he comes to India.
Hmm.

Well, you might be able to answer this.

Do Hindus in India refer to "God" as "Allah". The other thing possible is since everyone around Danish says "Allah" he just picked it up and says it?

I'm entirely not sure whether Danish is still a Hindu. It really doesn't matter though - he is a Pakistani who is representing Pakistan and that is what matters.

Last edited:
Just a general warning that this thread is on thin ice and is only being remained open due to some interesting discussion about how Islam has given Yousuf some sort of clarity and whether this is indeed possible.

It might be that Kaneria says Allah for God (in Hinduism), although I usually don't hear Christians and Hindus say Allah (when they mean God)

Christians who speak Arabic do use the word 'Allah' for God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

It's a linguistic term that is not restricted to a single religion, even though most people who use the term follow Islam.

Christians who speak Arabic do use the word 'Allah' for God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

It's a linguistic term that is not restricted to a single religion, even though most people who use the term follow Islam.
Then I think we can assume Kaneria is still a Hindu, until he announces / tells us otherwise.

An interesting point to make is, he has become so delved (is that the word) into his new religon that he has decided to skip the ICC Champions Trophy in order to fast.

This does show he has become very devout, so this is probably the new balance Yousuf has found.

You could also draw parallels with this and Greg Norman's recent success at the British Open (Golf). At 53 years old he managed to come third. A lot has been made of the fact that he left his wife of 25 years for Chris Evert (of tennis fame).

I'm not saying that its good to leave your wife, and I'm not saying that any one religion is right or wrong or any better or worse than another. But I think it does underline how happiness in your everyday life can pay dividends on the field. I think that generally goes for every job though. If you are happy you will perform better, if you are unhappy you won't reach your potential.

Yes, I've had quite a few Arab-Christian friends. and they used Allah for God, or father.

There are loads in Tunisia. SO nobody say they were wiped out, Arab-jews still live on.

All I could think is that him changing religion has meant that he is alot more disclipined than he was meaning he had more concentration and could bat for longer periods.

Users who are viewing this thread