Murali to retire after 2011 World Cup

hacker

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The World's highest wicket taker Muttiah Muralitharan plans to retire after the worldcup 2011. so what you guys think about he as a cricketer?

hacker added 0 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

International Cricket Council - News

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
He is a great ambassador of the game. A very humble fellow. He has always been a treat to watch. I hope he crosses every landmark he desires to, before hanging his boots. :hpraise

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Thats old news, he said that after WC07.

post WC 03 and WC 07 was when most of the legends disappeared.

Anwar, Akram, Waquar, Lara, McGrath, Gilly, Hayden?

now its gonna be Tendulkar, Murali, Sanath...?

P

pcfan123

In my books he has already overstayed his welcome. He has looked a shadow of the bowler he used to be these last few years and staying around just to get personal records makes him look like a bit of a douche.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Great bowler and fun guy to watch especially when he was batting :p And he seems like a decent bloke too, always smiling.

I think my Aussie bias will always favour Shane Warne in a head to head and Murali never did well out here in Australia against our awesome batting :D, but he is right up there with the legends.

And to touch on a dangerous subject, I am a little bit sad he even made it into high level cricket with such an ugly action. I also don't like the way the ICC bent the degrees of movement laws to allow him to keep bowling and prevent an international incident. I'm referring to pushing the degree of movement out to 15 when from what I've read 12 degrees should have been enough to ensure 'normal' bowlers weren't breaking the laws.

But look, none of that is Murali's fault. He did the best he could with the action he had. And his best was pretty damn good.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
In my books he has already overstayed his welcome. He has looked a shadow of the bowler he used to be these last few years and staying around just to get personal records makes him look like a bit of a douche.

Sad to say but it is true. I like Murali because he always seemed to be a humble person and newer took things for granted but he should have retired this year. I can understand why he wants to stay but he is just hurting Sri Lanka cricket by not allowing for younger bowlers to get their chances.

Best of luck in whatever he does after cricket.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Would have been better off retiring sooner after he broke Warney's record, but oh well.

Undoubtedly one of the greats, extremely unheralded. Will leave Sri Lanka with a strong spin attack.

Gazza added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

So only Ponting, Kallis and Tendulkar remain? And if you want to include: Jayasuriya, Dravid, Laxman.....

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
There's always going to be people who hate him and people who love him. Personally, even though he overtook Shane Warne for most wickets in Tests, he wasn't really a favorite for me. Besides, Murali took a bigger chunk of his wickets against lower ranked opposition.

shikha

School Cricketer
Murli is great bowler he is playing great i think this is his right decision to promote youngster spinner of srilanka

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Maybe he's trying imply something to the selectors here. ;)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
There's always going to be people who hate him and people who love him. Personally, even though he overtook Shane Warne for most wickets in Tests, he wasn't really a favorite for me. Besides, Murali took a bigger chunk of his wickets against lower ranked opposition.

:thumbs I agree! I like him, but not a big fan of him as much as I was for people like Warne, Kumble, etc.

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
His form started to dip in 07 iirc, he should have retired by then.Yes he has bagged a lot of 'cheap' wickets but still he is a terrific bowler and we honor him greatly considering he has been a great servant to sri lanka cricket.I wish him all the best after he hangs up his boots.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Take out Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and Murali still bowls Warne out of the water statistically.

He's been poor recently. Feels like he's lost his zip, fading away like Ntini, Kumble, Pollock, Panesar, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread