Music: The Golden Oldies Thread

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
We all know about all the modern stuff knocking about, so it's time for us to discuss anything upto the 1980's.

I've got an incredibly wide music taste, I've got a fair amount of the typical NME Generation stuff, abit of rap, but I've been discovering more old bands and artists every day. You probably already know of my love of David Bowie and Bob Dylan, 2 geniuses but there are so many older artists that I love listening to. I've recently downloaded a fantastic Rod Stewart Best Of compilation. Has all his best hits on there, from Maggie May to The First Cut Is The Deepest, to Handbags and Gladrags and then my personal favourite, The Killing of Georgie. It's fantastic to have a listen to, he really does have a magnificent voice.

Another guy who I've only just discovered is Cat Stevens. More famed nowadays for his conversion to Islam and his peace work, but it's his music from the 70's that I'm a personal fan of. I recently bought "The Very Best of Cat Stevens" from Amazon for ?3.20 and what a bargain. Some seriously amazing songs on there. All his best tunes are on there, and ?3.20 for 24 fantastically performed songs is a bargain. He's another new fave of mine.

My favourite artist from the past is of course David Bowie though. I've only heard a couple of tracks that I didn't really like, I'm not a huge fan of the Aladdin Sane album for example (apart from the title track and Jean Genie anyway). But apart from that he's got some amazing songs. Stuff like Letter to Hermione (greatest love-song ever written for me), China Girl, Suffragette City, Ziggy Stardust, Life On Mars, Heroes, Ashes to Ashes, Golden Years, The Man Who Sold The World, Lady Stardust, the list goes on. The guy's amazing.

So yeh, continue to discuss. Any reccomendations are welcome as well!!

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Run DMC - pioneers of rap.

Last edited by a moderator:

pingusten

Club Cricketer
Probably a bit heavy for your taste, but the Stooges were incredible for their time, late 60's early 70's. Raw Power is the only album I could put on and listen to forever, its officially the loudest album ever made and its full of fantastic vocals from Iggy Pop and some fantastically gritty guitar.

Here's an example of a song from that album in 1973, with some random guy strutting his stuff. Not an official video or anything, but I think thats pretty obvious. Imagine this in context, this is pre-Ramones, pre-Sex Pistols, pre-Clash, no one had heard anything like it before.

And another fan video, this one more co-ordinated. It's my favourite Stooges song, Search and Destroy. The lyrics are brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niv

Club Cricketer
Run DMC are literally the only rap/hip hop band I can actually listen to.

Where to start, where to start! My favourite band would have to be Genesis, I haven't heard a song of theirs I haven't liked, or grown to like. Ripples is bloody epic and there are too many other songs to list that deserve mentions!

2. The Who: Nuff said.

3. Pink Floyd: Nuff said.

4. Dire Straits: Mark Knopfler is a bloody legend, I could easily listen to them without drums, bass or vocals. Walk Of Life and Sultans Of Swing for me!

5. Queen: Nuff said.

6. Beatles: Nuff said.

7. Iron Maiden: Legends, exactly how hard rock should be.

8. Led Zeppelin: Beautifully dark, and mystically magical!

9. AC/DC: Nuff said

10. Cold Chisel: Pub rock as it's meant to be. First thing you know I'll be back in Bow River again ;)

11. The Doors: I'm loving them, Riders On The Storm, The End, L.A Woman and Light My Fire are classics, among others.

12. Cream: Juicy, bluesy and brilliant!

13. David Bowie: Probably don't love him as much as some members here, but he's a legend all the same.

14. ELO: Energetic, happy and they always give me a good feeling at the end of the song ^^

15. Meatloaf: Simply epic, there are no other words for his music.

16. Supertramp: Legendary, the pianowork is superb, and the vocals match well.

17. Lynyrd Skynyrd: Lovin' them, Curtis Loew, Comin' Home and Free Bird for me!

18. KISS: Glam metal woohoo!

19. Tom Petty And Ther Heartbreakers: Ever since I heard free Fallin' I was hooked!

20. Russell Morris: If you know who he is without consulting an internet search, you earn a cookie. Great music though!

21. Earth, Wind & Fire: Yes, it's disco! But it's good, and gets the feet moving!

22. Fleetwood Mac: Dunno why I like them, they just sound so good!

23. The Kinks: A poor man's Beatles. Still very awesome!

24. Journey: Epic, inspirational and hard rockin' music.

25. Toto: Classic 80's, Hold the Line and Africa being the faves.

And those are my top 25 pre-1980 bands. I hope I didn't miss anyone epic D:

Although I have plenty more classic music that I listen to and love, I'm kinda getting tired of writing this post so I'll keep it brief.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Rule of thumb, you grow up hating what your dad listened to, then you get a bit older and start to like it (secretly of course)

Niv

Club Cricketer
Funny thing is that my dad listens to all the modern pop music that I can't stand XD

Mum was a Floyd and Bowie fan though, and even when young I didn't complain about it ^^

lol, I'm 17 now and I've gone past parent's and into grandparents music XD Chuck Berry and Otis Redding :thumbs

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
My parents don't listen to any of the older stuff that I do. My Mum doesn't really listen to music much, and when she does it's either Will Young, Lighthouse Family or Christmas Songs, and my Dad's got the worst taste in music of anyone I've ever seen. He listens to only funk, stuff like Earth Wind and Fire. All sounds the same, awful awful music.

Rod Stewart- Killing of Georgie is now one of my favourite songs of the minute. It's amazing. I wasn't expecting much, as it's Karl Pilkington's favourite song, but it's amazing. Rod's got a fantastic voice, it's got a really good story to it, just a brilliant song. Loving Rod Stewart's stuff atm.

jordox

International Cricketer
I have a massive soft spot for Dean Martin. My music taste pretty much is 1920s-40s, then straight up to 1990's to present.

Rod Stewart- Killing of Georgie is now one of my favourite songs of the minute. It's amazing. I wasn't expecting much, as it's Karl Pilkington's favourite song, but it's amazing. Rod's got a fantastic voice, it's got a really good story to it, just a brilliant song. Loving Rod Stewart's stuff atm.

"That songs got a good story".. "Would he been killed if he went to bed at a decent hour?"

Gold ;)

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Haha, the man's a genius. Hilarious how he managed to come up with some classic titles for his features like Monkey News, Educating Ricky, Cheap as Chimps, and then some of the brilliant teasers for his Educating Ricky like "Chick-enn you believe it" but yet can't come up with a name for "that songs got a story and that" and also "that film thing, you know where i'm in a film an that". The man is a genius. Have you downloaded the latest Audiobook? About Medicine? It's brilliant, better than season 5 I think.

jordox

International Cricketer
Haha, the man's a genius. Hilarious how he managed to come up with some classic titles for his features like Monkey News, Educating Ricky, Cheap as Chimps, and then some of the brilliant teasers for his Educating Ricky like "Chick-enn you believe it" but yet can't come up with a name for "that songs got a story and that" and also "that film thing, you know where i'm in a film an that". The man is a genius. Have you downloaded the latest Audiobook? About Medicine? It's brilliant, better than season 5 I think.

And of course "Songs of phrase". The rockbuster clues are my favourites, particularly "well..." being at the start of all of them.
Nah I haven't heard Season 5 or Guide to medicine and guide to natural history. The xfm shows are my favourite. I did hear a snippet of the medicine guide and I was in stiches at the "He's a loonatic!" line when Karl was talking about how to deal with a crocodile who can speak english. :rtfl

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Oh yeh, how could I forget Songs of Phrase and Rockbusters. 2 more genius inventions from the mind of the round headed manc twat :D.
I do love the XFM shows, on my 2nd listen through now and they just get funnier and funnier, hearing bits that you missed first time through, they're brilliant.

You should definitely give Medicine a download, it's fantastic. Karl's on top form. His big idea is a machine where you swap bodies with a doctor so that they can feel the symptoms that you have, in order to properly diagnose you. It's genius.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Are Pink Floyd Liverpool fans by any chance? Have a listen to 'Fearless' from the album 'Meddle'.

Magz

Club Cricketer
Pink Floyd
Queen (Listened to every single one of their songs multiple times)
Sex Pistols
Led Zeppelin
Run DMC
Rakim
AC/DC

And more :D.

Last edited:

.Mob

International Coach
Dream Theater, they're pretty old now.
Porcupine Tree, yeah, they're pretty old too.
Opeth, likewise, likewise.

Released a lot of gold, these three have.

PhilD123

International Coach
Yeah, it's the one where the gay guy goes to New York and is killed after escaping from like Scotland isn't it? At least thats the interpretation Pilkington gives to it;), never heard the song.

Rockbusters is my favourite and how Ricky and Steve could never get rid of it:)

Why are the Jamaican men spinning fish around their head?

D.S.

Detroit Spinners:D

Users who are viewing this thread