My Batting Advice

CallyT

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok have seen a lot of people who really seem to be struggling with batting and whilst I am "no Don Bradman" I very rarely get out for less than 30 and have made some good solid innings so Thought I might offer my thoughts that may help some people who are having lots of issues.

1. Know where the fielders are. When you come to the crease check the field. At the start of each over check the field. If you see a cut seen (fielding change) check the field. You need to play to the gaps or defend especially when you arn't set.

2. Know your bread and butter shots. I.e what you know you can keep on the deck. While you are getting set, wait for the right ball to try and score your runs.

3. Dont be afraid to play the support role. If you come in and your AI partner is set, let him go. The run rate will flow and you can turn the singles over till you are set.

4. Dont auto hit and run. Dont be fooled by a well times shot.Wait till you are sure the run is safe. Watch the ball, make sure there is no fielder who will run you or your batting partner out. Taking one less run is better than being out.

5. Understand the fundamentals of Batting and use it. Have patience. I.e If the field is to tight on the off side, Block it out until you get the right ball. Dont start trying to take balls from outside off to the onside etc or vice versa. Once you are well set you can become more aggressive.

6. Sight each new bowler. When the bowler changes tone down your aggression till you know what he is going to bowl. Even if you are well set a change in speed, length etc can make you come unstuck really quick when you are used to the previous bowling.

7. Defend with a straight bat. Sounds simple but the analogs are easy to push slightly off to each side. Defend the shot with a straight bat to the line of the ball. Personally for the first 20 or 30 balls, I have the defense button pushed prior to the ball being bowled. If its a bad ball I let it off and play a stroke. ( I dont tend to do this in T20's or ODI's as much.

8 Finally know the game situation. There are some 4 day games etc you are only going to be batting for a draw.

Batting is hard in this game but its rewarding. I hope the above may help some people.

madman981

Club Captain
some great advice here

No.4 is especially true, the amount of times i have been half way down the wicket when that mid off or extra cover fielder has come from nowhere and i sit there for 2 or 3 minutes in frustration thinking, was that 1 run really worth it!!

No.7 is also a good point, this must be the problem i am having with blocking, i mustnt be pushing the right stick straight up when im plocking, i edge way too much, i know i need to block, but it frightens me to my core!!

all the other advice hear is good stuff, im starting to get better, but like always, concentration and impatience really gets me alot!!

CallyT

School Cricketer
The key with Blocking is making sure the LS (foot placement) is straight and RS is straight if its pitched on middle. If its on leg you can block it slightly to the leg side or slightly to the off if its pitched on off stump. If its well outside off, leave it.

I think one thing is also that the timing for blocking spin is quite late. You really need to wait for the ball. I would work on it in the nets. To be honest once you get it you will be comfortable to block anything. Its safe as a house once you know the timing for spin / pace etc.

The only other point is I don't try and block high fast bouncers, I play them or avoid them.

madman981

Club Captain
my problem is i have reflexes like a deaf mule, so hence every shot i play is premeditated....

not the right way to do things, im hoping my reflexes will get better the more i play

i dont mind taking a hit in the head, as long as i dont go out!!

rishabh96

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Really spot on. I think nothing else you can add there.
I think hitting shots on leg side is easy instead of off side.

Some great tips there CallyT......Us lads n lasses in the UK are at fever pitch waiting for the game to release. :yes

dawesy49

Club Cricketer
Here's a question. Does the foot selection really matter? There's been a few times where I've tried to play a backfoot shot, essentially ignoring the length of the ball and it clearly plays a front foot shot.

Is the batting just very forgiving? Or is it skill level related.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
^ In real thing, I mean cricket you must have seen batsmen drive off the back to straight and cover. Similarly, many batsmen play pull or cut of the front foot. This has been integrated brilliantly into the game.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Here's a question. Does the foot selection really matter? There's been a few times where I've tried to play a backfoot shot, essentially ignoring the length of the ball and it clearly plays a front foot shot.

Is the batting just very forgiving? Or is it skill level related.

What difficulty are you playing on? If you're on amateur or rookie footwork is assisted, so if you make a crap decision it will help you out

CallyT

School Cricketer
Im playing on pro level,

The footwork does matter in my opinion. However that being said I've noticed you can pull / cut off the front foot. As above this is true to life.

This being said, it does appear if its a really short bouncer you do need to be on the back foot to be able to play it well.

issue

County Cricketer
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
For ground shots use R2+L2 that will help you to play for a while.....

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
"Know where the fielders are" would be great advice if I could see them all

Hunbbel

Club Captain
Another tip is to know the exact type of bowler that you are about to face. Whenever a bowler is about to start his run-up, identify if he is a fast bowler or a medium fast bowler. By knowing this, you can judge the average speed of the ball - which is absolutely crucial here. A fast bowler will usually bowl around 140+, while the fast-medium will bowl in the 130s.

Before the bowler starts running, press the right stick. Yes, PRESS it. You will see the type of bowler, his strength and weakness. Then block a couple of balls to see how tired he is and what's his average speed is right now. Then you will be in a much better position to play your shots.

P.S: Can we see the confidence meter in career mode? I've been asking this question for quite a while, but without any answer.

CallyT

School Cricketer
I haven't been able to locate a confidence meter anywhere in career mode.

Users who are viewing this thread