NASA releases report on Columbia Disaster

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Check this article out -

DailyTech - NASA Takes Another Look at Shuttle Columbia Disaster

DailyTech said:
A new report released by NASA indicates the seven astronauts aboard doomed space shuttle Columbia had seat restraints, helmets and pressure suits that worked poorly, and caused "lethal trauma" as the shuttle disintegrated.

Pretty interesting to read the article. I decided to post it here because it can be a bit educating from the discussion that arises on it. I was reading some comments on the dailytech page and found some interesting points.

The NASA reports says "cold temperatures" as a lethal issue. But as far as I know, on entering the earth's gravitational field, there is a 5-6 KM stretch where there is VERY high friction and can cause temperatures to thousands of degrees. I think that was when the shuttle caught fire in the crack that happened when it was launched.

The main cause of the deaths WASN'T the things NASA outlined. Poor helmets, pressure suits... what can they do in situations of disintegration, incineration at thousands of degrees? The main cause was the crack, that happened at the launch, which was overlooked. It was this crack that initally caught fire due to the very high temps in the stretch.

I'm pretty sure about the crack thingy, watched it in the news they showed it, at launch a small part fell down.

What do you think?

Yeah good one but why does this section look a bit abandoned?:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread