Nathan Astle Retires from International Cricket

surendar said:
now Astle.. tomrw Sachin ???????
Are you kidding, that's not happening anytime soon. Indians always enjoy their cricket not matter what. Even Azhar and Jadeja would have been still playing.

Wouldn't have expected Astles retirement from anywhere. A class player who really does have an impact of the NZ side.

I was dreading this day after the world cup came around, but it seems it came a bit sooner.
Anyway I remember first watching Astle when I was 8 or something and he simply took apart the oppostion bowling (don't remember who) and since that day he has been my favourite player, and i'll never ever forget his stunning 222.

Very sad day for NZ cricket, awesome batsmen for the Kiwis and in full flight he was a joy to watch with his aggressive play taking it to the opposition batters. I'll never forget that double 100 against England which show classed his attack.

But in the end hes made the right call as he seems to be lacking that touch which is costing NZ at the top of the order. Vincent will be a decent replacement if he fires up.

Very sad indeed :( . But I see a similarity with Martyn's retirement: after some unsuccessfull trips to the wicket, they decide that it's time to quite. So, if that's the trend, who's around 35 years old and has a low average from his last games? Anyone?

Sad day for cricket with his retirement. Didn't do much for Lancs last season but he's been a great player for New Zealand.

It's a surprising decision, but the side have been copping an awful lot of flak lately. Okay, the team haven't done that well, but come on, with the resources they do have they are still a match for most, and are always a deadly team on their day. Astle has been in a very poor run of form, but I really don't think he is conducive to opening the innings (I'll no doubt be proved wrong by the stats wipper snappers out there). I feel his technique isn't good enough to be there, but as a middle order bat he can do, and has done, some serious damage.

This little trot of bad scores may have forced his hand that he isn't up to it anymore, but if that's the case I think he's wrong. Should still be playing, and should be batting in the middle. A sad loss. Anyone remember him against England in that fruitless test run chase that almost came to fruition!! :)

Shame. When he was on form there were little that could rival him in terms of aggression and strike rate. Absolute joy to watch and i'll miss him.

I think he is better at 3, and his average I think is in the 40's at 3, but it isn't too much worse opening. So when McCullum went down, he kinda had to be the one to go back and open.

Users who are viewing this thread