NatWest Series 2005

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gough batted well some good pull shots he did. Symonds, Lee and McGrath all bowled well good to see the real aus side playing

Looks like the inclusion of Lee and Symonds made a huge difference to the side, with both playing very well.

England really messed this up by winning the toss and putting Australia in to bat.

Recently Goughie has been in good form with the bat, i think he scored 80 odd in a championship game for Essex a few weeks ago so maybe he is developing his batting at the end of his career so when his bowling drops down a bit he can still get a place in the team for his batting skills down the order!?! Who knows, but it makes sense.

Briggsey said:
Recently Goughie has been in good form with the bat, i think he scored 80 odd in a championship game for Essex a few weeks ago so maybe he is developing his batting at the end of his career so when his bowling drops down a bit he can still get a place in the team for his batting skills down the order!?! Who knows, but it makes sense.

:D

He's also bowling very well from what I hear, but, he's just not getting the luck with wickets.

squiz said:
Looks like the inclusion of Lee and Symonds made a huge difference to the side, with both playing very well.
Yes, but England played very much within themselves. They have themselves to blame and not the toss.

Though I do see Symonds as a vital player for the Aussies, I reckon the Englishmen will be able to handle Lee.

what's this I hear about Pieterson being from South Africa and went to Sydney Uni and also played cricket for Sydney Uni. What makes him more English? has he been living in England most of his life? :help

symonds_sixes said:
what's this I hear about Pieterson being from South Africa and went to Sydney Uni and also played cricket for Sydney Uni. What makes him more English? has he been living in England most of his life? :help
He was born in South Africa.

His mother is English.

He was struggling to get into his provinvial side in South Africa due to the quota system.

He has a British passport, enabling him to play in county cricket as a non-overseas player.

He started playing in England in 2001, and fulfilled his resiendtial qualification in 2004.

So, has the fairy tale ended for England? Have the mighty Australians woken up and scrapped the rust off their bodies? Sure seems that way looking at the way they played in the last match. An inspired McGrath, and Lee ended the English reply before it could start. The trio of Strauss, Trescothick, and Collingwood that tormented the Bangladeshi bowlers two days ago were back in the pavilion in 5th over with 6 runs on the board. All hopes rested on Kevin Pietersen after Solanki's wicket. Solanki coming in for injured Vaughan was a pain to watch. His inability to rotate the strike is a big problem. Solanki's wicket actually raised the hopes of English fans. Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen are two the most hard hitting batsmen in the world today. But when Flintoff went and Pietersen soon followed him playing some delightful strokes, it was game-set-match for Australia. And then it was just a matter of waiting for the inevitable to happen. Gough played a blinder and inched England closer but the result was never in doubt. Hogg picked up two crucial wickets in between along with Symonds who scalped Pietersen. Hogg is a very underatted bowler and has been a great asset to this Australian team following Warne's ODI retirement.

Australia won yesterday but many of their characteristics were missing. They were on a damage control mission yesterday. Normally we see Gilchrist and Hayden bludgeoning the bowlers in the first 15 overs, but, they were visibly worried about the middle order collapse and tried to get a good opening partnership. Gilchrist opened up a bit and played some characteristic strokes off Tremlett. But Tremlett got his revenge and scalped the Aussie wicketkeeper who has had starts but not able to score big. Tremlett looks a better prospect than J. Lewis, but that's just my opinion. Ponting followed shortly and in very next over Flintoff snared Hayden. Hayden looked determined to play a patient innings but his mind caught in aggression and defense led to his dismissal when he played a nothing push at the Flintoff delivery. Australia were three down and looking vulnerable. And this is where Trescothick made the mistake. Flintoff was taken off immediately after he took a wicket and we had Giles and Collingwood operating to two new batsmen. Trescothick sure missed a trick here. He should have brought in Gough or kept Flintoff on for couple of overs. Giles may be the Wisden England cricketer of the year but common sense tells you that when two new batsmen are at the crease with the opponent's innings starting to dwindle, you always bring back your best bowler which was either Gough or Flintoff. Symonds and Martyn consolidated and picked up the run rate from 4.5 rpo and took it up to 5.25 rpo till Symonds got dismissed. Symonds proved his worth in the team and raised quite a few "what if" questions relating to his two match suspension. England let the Aussies off the hook. But it was interesting to see that even in 45th over with 5 wickets remaining and sloggers like Hogg and Lee still to come, the Aussies did not go for broke. 260+ always looked on the cards even if they had lost couple of wickets but some successful slogging would have got Australia close to 275-280 mark. But the Aussies were very cautious in their approach today. With Australia dominating today and getting their confidence back, it will be interesting to see if they throw caution to the wind from the next game and emerge from their last week's shadows. England meanwhile should not panic and as Trescothick said "should bounce back".

Last edited:
symonds_sixes said:

Which country invented cricket and taught it to her offshore territories? ;) :happy

Users who are viewing this thread