NatWest Series 2005

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People keep bagging Watson, give him time, he's had a lot of injuries. He is a clean batsman and an improving bowler, with the potential to be really important for Australia. He averages 45 with the bat and 28 with the ball in first class cricket, which are pretty good allrounder stats if you ask me. I believe the selectors want him to fill a specific role in the team which is why they keep using him.

angryangy said:
People keep bagging Watson, give him time, he's had a lot of injuries. He is a clean batsman and an improving bowler, with the potential to be really important for Australia. He averages 45 with the bat and 28 with the ball in first class cricket, which are pretty good allrounder stats if you ask me. I believe the selectors want him to fill a specific role in the team which is why they keep using him.

First Class cricket is different from Inernational cricket.
It doesnt matter what he averages with the bat in first class I guess it does,but once you enter international cricket it is a different bat and ball,
I dont think he will last any longer then a year,

Last time I saw him playing was againts pakistan in 2002,he was ordinary with batting and bowling.

I saw Strauss loved the shot McCullum invented against Australia to win the Chappel Hadlee match. The trend even caught onto Astraful. His innings was as good as anyones in that match. Bangladesh are really impressing me, it was great to see them take on a world class bowling attack like that and leave players with 7.5, 6.8, 5.2 etc. economy rates.

Wow England are on fire 391 is huge. They could have reached 400 if pietersen came in or flintoff actually got going. Always knew collingwood could bat but bowl that well, i guess maybe conditions like when clarke got his 6/9

fardin said:
First Class cricket is different from Inernational cricket.
It doesnt matter what he averages with the bat in first class I guess it does,but once you enter international cricket it is a different bat and ball,
I dont think he will last any longer then a year,

Last time I saw him playing was againts pakistan in 2002,he was ordinary with batting and bowling.
He's not too great in the one day game, but in First Class he's pretty impressive, when he gets another chance in the test team hopefully he can put some big scores on the board and take a few wickets

i think symmonds returning to the team will make a huge impact in this tournament.

angryangy said:

Graeme Hick averaged 50+ in First Class cricket and he only averaged just over 30 in tests.

First Class and International cricket are so different.

Anyone who wanted to see spectatulor catch by collingwood againts Australia in 3rd ODI. Here is the link below to see the video of Collingwood by catching one hand in the air. Yo don't need to download you can just watch it online instead of downloading. But be sure to have latest Windows Media Player to view the video.

Sureshot said:
Graeme Hick averaged 50+ in First Class cricket and he only averaged just over 30 in tests.

First Class and International cricket are so different.
First Class - Test
Ponting: 58.68 56.50
Hayden:53.88 53.46
Martyn: 50.96 51.25
Gilchrist: 47.43 55.64

Strauss: 42.68 55.12
Trescothick: 35.95 45.47
Vaughan: 38.63 45.02
Thorpe: 44.89 44.66

Sehwag 54.18 55.98
Dravid 57.31 57.86
Tendulkar 60.97 57.86
Laxman 54.51 43.05

Sarwan 38.12 40.87
Gayle 45.62 39.38
Lara 52.18 54.09
Chanderpaul 52.63 47.32

The point is, the first class average is a good indicator of a batsman's calibre. That Hick was a poor performer in Tests does not mean that he could not have played any better. The most likely event for a high quality player trying to establish himself in a well established team is that he will eventually flourish.

In the end, if you do deny that 45 and 28 are decent averages, how do you propose we go about comparing player performance?

vibs89 said:
Anyone who wanted to see spectatulor catch by collingwood againts Australia in 3rd ODI. Here is the link below to see the video of Collingwood by catching one hand in the air. Yo don't need to download you can just watch it online instead of downloading. But be sure to have latest Windows Media Player to view the video.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't posting that link violate rule # 2 of the forums which says no illegal stuff. Since this match was shown on Skysports, everything was copyrighted. Now there is no way you got permission from Skysports to put the file on Putfile and post it here. But then again I might be wrong and this may not violate rule #2...so can a mod tell me if thats legal or not?

cheaterr said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't posting that link violate rule # 2 of the forums which says no illegal stuff. Since this match was shown on Skysports, everything was copyrighted. Now there is no way you got permission from Skysports to put the file on Putfile and post it here. But then again I might be wrong and this may not violate rule #2...so can a mod tell me if thats legal or not?

Why do you care. If moderater thinks it's illegal then will removed it. Cause many people were asking fro the video of the collingwood. So i thought how about I post a video of it.

vibs89 said:
Why do you care. If moderater thinks it's illegal then will removed it. Cause many people were asking fro the video of the collingwood. So i thought how about I post a video of it.
Even if it is illegal?

angryangy said:
First Class - Test
Ponting: 58.68 56.50
Hayden:53.88 53.46
Martyn: 50.96 51.25
Gilchrist: 47.43 55.64

Strauss: 42.68 55.12
Trescothick: 35.95 45.47
Vaughan: 38.63 45.02
Thorpe: 44.89 44.66

Sehwag 54.18 55.98
Dravid 57.31 57.86
Tendulkar 60.97 57.86
Laxman 54.51 43.05

Sarwan 38.12 40.87
Gayle 45.62 39.38
Lara 52.18 54.09
Chanderpaul 52.63 47.32

The point is, the first class average is a good indicator of a batsman's calibre. That Hick was a poor performer in Tests does not mean that he could not have played any better. The most likely event for a high quality player trying to establish himself in a well established team is that he will eventually flourish.

In the end, if you do deny that 45 and 28 are decent averages, how do you propose we go about comparing player performance?

From those stats it's obvious that Sachin is useless ;)

Obviously these stats are taken from a very narrow range. If you take all the guys with 40-50+ First Class batting averages that make the test team and fail, then those will outweigh the amount of guys who have performed quite well at test level, almost achieving their first class average

Users who are viewing this thread