Problem: Need help while batting (playing through off without edging)

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Folks,
Would love to get some tips regarding playing through the off side without edging every few deliveries. I mostly play career mode and have been playing the game on PS3 since it came out on console. The latest patch (2.5) did help make the game, especially batting, better as it became easier to keep the ball on the ground. But after spending lot of time playing the game post patch 2.5, it seems playing through the off side in the career mode has become a near impossible task.

I tend to edge to wkt keeper/slips/gully/point etc. while playing shots to the off side. It doesn't really matter whether I'm new to the crease or have my confidence full; playing through the off side remains fraught with too much risk. If not edge, I tend to play on - have stopped counting the number of times I have seen the 'Bad luck mate' message. I have tried to vary my timing by playing early as well as late but no matter the timing I can't seem to stop edging. I tried practice mode (practice match) and I was consistently able to get good to perfect timing & footwork feedback but in the game I keep on edging consistently. Things have become so bad that my wagon wheel contains shots exclusively through the fine leg to mid wkt region.

IMO batting was best in DBC 14 after the 1st patch which came out a few short weeks after the game's release. Patch 2 added the airy shots and the current patch (2.5) seems to make edging while playing through the off side way too random. If anyone has any tips on how to play through the off side without edging every few deliveries, pls do share the same coz as of now batting in career mode has become more of a chore since it's not much fun playing exclusively to the leg.

P.S. - Wouldn't mind if Big Ant folks such as @fiction or @HBK619 provide some tips and insight into edging mechanism and how we can improve over time.

Ren

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I found the same until I stopped trying to cover drive as much. Prior to the patch I was hitting through cover regularly, now I wait for balls that are outside off. Not just on off stump, but fully outside off. Much more successful with the shot since changing that mindset.

But yes I'd also be interested in tips from others.

fiction

County Cricketer
Folks,
Would love to get some tips regarding playing through the off side without edging every few deliveries. I mostly play career mode and have been playing the game on PS3 since it came out on console. The latest patch (2.5) did help make the game, especially batting, better as it became easier to keep the ball on the ground. But after spending lot of time playing the game post patch 2.5, it seems playing through the off side in the career mode has become a near impossible task.

I tend to edge to wkt keeper/slips/gully/point etc. while playing shots to the off side. It doesn't really matter whether I'm new to the crease or have my confidence full; playing through the off side remains fraught with too much risk. If not edge, I tend to play on - have stopped counting the number of times I have seen the 'Bad luck mate' message. I have tried to vary my timing by playing early as well as late but no matter the timing I can't seem to stop edging. I tried practice mode (practice match) and I was consistently able to get good to perfect timing & footwork feedback but in the game I keep on edging consistently. Things have become so bad that my wagon wheel contains shots exclusively through the fine leg to mid wkt region.

IMO batting was best in DBC 14 after the 1st patch which came out a few short weeks after the game's release. Patch 2 added the airy shots and the current patch (2.5) seems to make edging while playing through the off side way too random. If anyone has any tips on how to play through the off side without edging every few deliveries, pls do share the same coz as of now batting in career mode has become more of a chore since it's not much fun playing exclusively to the leg.

P.S. - Wouldn't mind if Big Ant folks such as @fiction or @HBK619 provide some tips and insight into edging mechanism and how we can improve over time.
Is it only limited to career mode or are you unable to safely play shots in off-side in casual matches?

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Is it only limited to career mode or are you unable to safely play shots in off-side in casual matches?
Both.....Its there everywhere....As mentioned before the foot placement has been tweaked a little for creating more edges which has made playing on the off side just impossible....

Quoting this earlier post
@fiction
Playing after few days again getting good starts but getting out later....Feels like the foot movement has been tweaked as getting shots off middle of the bat is difficult to shots played on off side as the batsman doesn't get enough foot forward...Reason for too many edges in the game...Telling this as played in practice and says perfect on foot and shot but its not off the middle...Even for a shot played to mid off is not off middle...Yeah it might reach the boundaries but its about the shot's foot work which was correct before but not now....Whatever the tweak was don to that needs to reverted back....The edges are fine as they are according to shot selection and timing but the issue is that in real life sometimes the footwork saves from getting the edge even when the shot is not timed right....This needs to be looked upon....

Will try to show the difference in foot movement before the patch and after with the same shot if required...

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
personally i feel its realistic it has changed for sure but for good, you edge more on on drive and cover drive but it is only when i play for short of good-length deliveries which is how it is in real life compared to how it was before were you can drive even short pitch deliveries for 4 with a front foot cover drive, now if you concentrate and pick full length deliveries for cover drives you will rarely edge especially against pace.

The only thing is we have difficulty picking the length of ball early especially in legend were you have to time it very earlier than other difficulties, so if the timing window can be shifted somewhere in the middle of the delivery like it is for backfoot shots or for spin and medium pacers we should be able to play the ball after picking it and most issues there would go.

May be tone edges it down a bit but not by much, certainly not like before were you can hit anything with a cover drive.

adit, next time you edge see if you can get a snap of pitch map to see if you are misjudging length for cover drive.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

It's much worse in career mode but edges in general seem to be toned up. IMO we needed more variety in edges but now the variety along with number/frequency of edges have been increased. I have spent lot of time in practice mode (practice match) as a 'very poor' batsman going against a 'very good' bowler but I mostly get a feedback of good/perfect timing & footwork but still end up edging quite often. I understand that you may edge with good timing in real life but in a video game it's expected that edges should be minimal when you nail the timing & footwork.

Maybe I'm not able to figure out what good batting is within the game and that's why I reached out to you and HBK that maybe you can give us some pointers on how the batting is designed to work so we can improve and not edge every other shot while playing through the off side.

Edit: @fiction, would love to know whether frequency of edges increases when you play too early or there are more chances of edging if you are late. With spinners I have seen that you tend to edge less if you play late but haven't seen this ploy work with fast or fast medium bowlers.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
personally i feel its realistic it has changed for sure but for good, you edge more on on drive and cover drive but it is only when i play for short of good-length deliveries which is how it is in real life compared to how it was before were you can drive even short pitch deliveries for 4 with a front foot cover drive, now if you concentrate and pick full length deliveries for cover drives you will rarely edge especially against pace.

The only thing is we have difficulty picking the length of ball early especially in legend were you have to time it very earlier than other difficulties, so if the timing window can be shifted somewhere in the middle of the delivery like it is for backfoot shots or for spin and medium pacers we should be able to play the ball after picking it and most issues there would go.

May be tone edges it down a bit but not by much, certainly not like before were you can hit anything with a cover drive.

adit, next time you edge see if you can get a snap of pitch map to see if you are misjudging length for cover drive.

I'm sorry but I edge the good length deliveries as frequently as I do the short of good length ones. And plenty of fuller length deliveries end up being played on resulting in 'Bad luck mate' message. Till now I haven't been able to figure out edges as they seem random irrespective of length and timing. One way I can avoid edging is when I play exclusively to the leg side but it takes fun out of batting. Hopefully a tutorial on what is deemed as good batting in the game can help us improve.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India

I'm sorry but I edge the good length deliveries as frequently as I do the short of good length ones. And plenty of fuller length deliveries end up being played on resulting in 'Bad luck mate' message. Till now I haven't been able to figure out edges as they seem random irrespective of length and timing. One way I can avoid edging is when I play exclusively to the leg side but it takes fun out of batting. Hopefully a tutorial on what is deemed as good batting in the game can help us improve.

Ram I know that hitting cover drivers off even short of a good length happens in real life as well and I am used to playing at legend without any HUD for a very long time now and have got used to reading the length of the bowler...Its not the wrong shot as I mentioned in the previous post that the foot movement has been tweaked a bit for front foot and have got out edging since then so have started playing on the back foot and till now haven't edged even one....So the tweak of the front foot leg movement is what is causing the issue of too many edges when played offside...Played today with the approach of backfoot for all deliveries except full which seems to be working...

I have had edges off bad shot selection which I totally agree and should be in the game but as @cricket_online said its irrespective of timing and length and even foot work....Now if you see closer the gap between bat and pad has increased after the patch which needs to revert back....

My analysis of change in footwork in the pic below:

Because of the extra movement in the leg after the patch the batsman sometimes just moves away from the stumps

Note: Drew for Left handed as I play so in career..

Attachments

• Footwork.png
    Footwork.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 36

grkrama

National Board President
the above pic is for LHB right, personally haven't noticed change to foot work, will checkout in game, i guess @fiction would be in a better position to comment on this if change has been made to footwork.A vid from you wouldnt go amiss either, i do agree its edgy than before and can be reduced, but not unplayable. To me what i feel works is a guard in this position is the best for playing cover drives this is like a step more close to mid stump than default position. anything more you get too close to the ball and edge balls in corridor is you take away from it you have chance of edging chasing deliveries.

2014-10-12_00077.jpg

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
the above pic is for LHB right, personally haven't noticed change to foot work, will checkout in game, i guess @fiction would be in a better position to comment on this if change has been made to footwork.A vid from you wouldnt go amiss either, i do agree its edgy than before and can be reduced, but not unplayable. To me what i feel works is a guard in this position is the best for playing cover drives this is like a step more close to mid stump than default position. anything more you get too close to the ball and edge balls in corridor is you take away from it you have chance of edging chasing deliveries.

View attachment 131754
Yeah and I have changed my stance to mid stump after the patch....I will try to get a video....Now I have started playing like Joe Root left handed version...Backfoot to all and front foot only to full, so far so good...

fiction

County Cricketer
We haven't changed anything in patch 2.5 related to footwork or frequency of edges. As far as edging is concerned, we've only changed the deviation and decreased the frequency of edging on defensive shots. Edges still depend on your timing and footwork - both of them haven't been changed.

jaraarrow

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Folks,

Only drive through the covers or down the ground when your batsmans confidence meter is high(d pad right to view).You can build your batsmans confidence with forward defensive shots and occasionally playing the ball to the legside.If you drive the ball when confidence is low it will probably result in an edge to the wicketkeeper or slips.

Arun A B

Club Cricketer
Mind teaching me how to record a video playing from PS3?

Then I will show you how to play through off side.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Mind teaching me how to record a video playing from PS3?

Then I will show you how to play through off side.

Have never done it myself and would rely on google to figure out how to record gameplay on PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread