Never have I felt so disengaged from the England Cricket Team

The director should have been Alec Stewart. He retired 11 years ago so won't have had any 'big mates' in the squad. He's also a thoroughly decent man who cares deeply about English cricket. He would have resisted the politics that exist in the ECB.

Good grief what is wrong with you people? Why is this lie about KP sending derogatory texts still being peddled, when KP CLEARLY explained that he did no such thing in October? Are you people so entrenched in your dislike for KP, that you will forever keep regurgitating these falsehoods!?:facepalm

Not only that, even Strauss said it was a lie in his book. Complete fabrication he said, and that KP was well within his rights to have friends he spoke too in opposition teams.

Not only that, even Strauss said it was a lie in his book. Complete fabrication he said, and that KP was well within his rights to have friends he spoke too in opposition teams.

He claimed he doubted the texts were in regard of how to get him out, but don't remember him saying anything of which you've paraphrased there?

I have to say, I'm a little bit disappointed by the lack of respect shown towards Andrew Strauss. He's a great man, who gave everything he had on the field, and I believe he'll work his socks off to get England back to number one.

...we have to move on and get behind both Strauss, and more importantly, the team. There's been so much negativity in recent months. Let's give the new management a chance, and judge them in 18-24 months time. Strauss was a very successful captain (no matter what his methods were) and I'm sure he'll be an equally good manager.

...we now have a new director, and soon a new coach. Let's just get behind the team. Strauss has made 4 decisions that he feels are right for the team. I know I'm in a minority, but I'm pleased with all 4 decisions. Only time will tell if he's got it right, but let's not bitch about him and just give him this time.

You have a point - Strauss was captain at a time England were very successful. I personally however don't think it does to dismiss his methods so glibly; these methods go to the heart of why his appointment was so disappointing. There is no doubt that the success under Strauss came at the expense of any form of exciting or engaging cricket; appeared to over-coach the players; and blind them with stats. I'd equally argue that the success is over-overstated: Australia were extremely weak at that time, and we failed to beat arguably the strongest side in the world in that era (South Africa) in either of the two series we played against them.

I equally think the idea that we should get behind the team and/or Strauss regardless of performance, attitude or communication with supporters is ridiculous. They do not have a divine right to the public's loyalty, affection or even attention; that needs to be earned. Strauss could have earned that on Tuesday had he indeed had the "open and honest" conversation he promised, but instead his press conferences were arrogant and palpably dishonest. To allude to "trust issues" in respect of Pietersen without giving any indication of what they were, where they emanate from and what if anything is being done to attempt to move past them was pretty bad, but for it then to emerge that he offered Pietersen a Limited Overs advisory role simply made him appear mendacious.

To have hidden behind "trust issues" also required some industrial-sized balls: he is the captain who refused to even investigate whether there was a dressing room dimension to the KP Genius Twitter account. Additionally, cast your mind back to the Sri Lanka One Day series last year, and Jos Buttler's wonderful hundred - at the press conference Cook said Buttler wasn't ready for test cricket: why should Buttler trust Cook, or feel that he has Cook's? Yet Cook remains captain.

Equally, on the one hand he has said he won't be a "supremo" or involved in a tracksuit / dressing room role; on the other he has set the parameters of what that dressing room will be. We know the captain is set in stone this summer regardless of performance; we know Pietersen won't be in the team this summer regardless of performance; we know the one day and limited overs sides will have "separation"; we even know the identity of the next captain. Strauss wants the power but shoves responsibility on to a coach he hasn't yet appointed. A coach would perhaps expect input into all these areas, but the decisions are made for him. The coach will have to win or lose not on his own terms, but on Strauss', yet Strauss doesn't even acknowledge that may limit the field.

Finally, his repeated insistence on "separation" between Limited Overs and Test sides is just facile, and ignores every trend in the game. The best players are the best players: we're likely to face 6 or 7 of the NZ World Cup final line-up in the first test, and come the Ashes the Aussies will probably have up to 8 of their World Cup winning side on the field in Cardiff. Warner, Smith, McCullum, de Villiers etc. stand out in every format. Whereas we should be bringing the aggression from ODI/T20 into the Test arena and pushing pressure on bowling sides with fast scoring, we're likely to be sticking with the attrition - hardly an inspiring prospect. Everyone is so busy focussing on Strauss ending Pietersen's England career they missed that he appeared to strangle Alex Hales' Test career at birth. The idea that we're going to be splitting our elevens into "proper players" and "sloggers" is so depressing and retrograde it hardly inspires confidence in the quality of his decision making.

The team and set up this summer will be Strauss'. He can't have it both ways - either he can concern himself with systems and player's produced at Loughborough etc. and be judged on the long term, or he can control the current team set up and be judged on the short term. If we have as bad a summer as some of us fear, if that carries on over what's scheduled to be a tough winter, he will have to go.

Reactions: War
Interesting in all of this is also to gague the mindset of KP: he is off to the IPL on Friday. Does also show where HIS priorities lie in all of this. He also has a lot to answer for.....

To be fair, he did leave the riches of the IPL to instead play in the county championship to try and reclaim a place for his national side, and did get a 326 n.o., if what I read is correct. How many would do that for their country do u think. Leave IPL to play County cricket? I think he proved where is priorities lie based on this alone. Perhaps it was not against the strongest bowling unit, but you can only beat whats in front of you.

That after all this and scoring a triple ton you are still told you are not going to get in, then why should he stick around to do a thankless and unrewarding job of playing in the county?

He claimed he doubted the texts were in regard of how to get him out, but don't remember him saying anything of which you've paraphrased there?

He did yes. He also did say that talking to said friends around match times was slightly unrespectful if I remember rightly?

Apologies if wrong, it has been a while.

I have to say, I'm a little bit disappointed by the lack of respect shown towards Andrew Strauss. He's a great man, who gave everything he had on the field, and I believe he'll work his socks off to get England back to number one.

None of us know what happened in the dressing room over the 4 years that Strauss was in charge. We're all guessing. But the players who were there would have ran through a brick wall for Strauss. The same couldn't be said for Pietersen.

I think Kevin is a great player, and I'm slightly saddened by the fact I'll never see him play again, but we have to move on and get behind both Strauss, and more importantly, the team. There's been so much negativity in recent months. Let's give the new management a chance, and judge them in 18-24 months time. Strauss was a very successful captain (no matter what his methods were) and I'm sure he'll be an equally good manager.

Great men don't call a former team mate a C***.

Great men don't call a former team mate a C***.

Look, let's not kid ourselves, Strauss and Pietersen are great cricketers. Let's also not kid ourselves on the part that Kevin was an absolute bast@rd in the first episode of this saga. However, I always felt that Andrew really cared for English cricket, more than his own ego. I've just been left disappointed with his treatment and handling of KP. I don't blame Strauss for calling KP whatever he did. It just came out on air by mistake. You have to be pretty delusional to believe KP has nice things to say about Strauss. The place where Strauss has let himself down is on this elimination of KP from the frame for the Ashes after the chairman promised something else. It may not totally be his call, but because of his personal differences, he's destroyed a lot of his reputation.

Look, let's not kid ourselves, Strauss and Pietersen are great cricketers. Let's also not kid ourselves on the part that Kevin was an absolute bast@rd in the first episode of this saga. However, I always felt that Andrew really cared for English cricket, more than his own ego. I've just been left disappointed with his treatment and handling of KP. I don't blame Strauss for calling KP whatever he did. It just came out on air by mistake. You have to be pretty delusional to believe KP has nice things to say about Strauss. The place where Strauss has let himself down is on this elimination of KP from the frame for the Ashes after the chairman promised something else. It may not totally be his call, but because of his personal differences, he's destroyed a lot of his reputation.
Yeah I'm sure KP is a knob as well. But Great men sort out there problems and don't resort to name calling, publicly or privately. We all will have our own opinions on this matter (and every other matter!), but one thing that is fact is that Andrew Strauss is not a great man!

I think you're getting worked up about ethinicity actually. I have never heard or read anything about poor treatment of non white players by the ECB or County circuit. Bopara hasnt been selected because he never shows up when needed, Patel because of weight and fitness issues, Monty because he pissed on a bouncer or something like that and Carberry because he didn't make any big scores. Chris Jordan is selected despite being the most inconsistent player in the England squad and Moeen Ali has been promoted to 1st choice spinner and opener in ODI's. Thats just the recent non white players so I think the issue you raise is a non issue.

As someone who sufers from Anxiety and Depression, it is very hard to admit too and talk about openly and frankly the fact you are calling Trott weak is insulting. He should never have been picked again and has lost the skill he once had, but at least he faced up to his anxieties.

I'm gonna try and answer some of the responses. In terms of the ethnicity thing, you can't say it hasn't been brought up when both Atherton and Hussain have brought it up. You really think the players are going to bring it up and affect future chances of employment?

Look at the levels of racism witnessed in football today, all around europe and in the EPL too, a lot of which, aimed at fans or players, which I have witnessed personally. How many players in the EPL have actually come forward to speak out against it? Have the pointed the finger at clubs, poor organisation or FIFA itself? No and they sadly never will. Sport doesn't exactly house the men of highest moral character or strength. It's not really the days of Muhammad ALi when someone would speak out and fearsome tweak the sponsors and money men.

Now, in terms of the depression and anxiety side of things, I'm a medical student so I've met many people who suffer from it (students and patients). In some cases it is truly a debilitating condition where the person can not do much about it but from personal experience, I've come across a few who just can't handle the pressure. They let it get to them and instead of fighting it, they fall back on this nanny state we're so busy creating. They like to be molly coddled. I say this about Troutt, because as I previously mentioned, he came out and said HIMSELF he was not depressed, it was reported on cricinfo, leading to criticism from many people, including Vaughn. This then led to Trott once again changing his opinion on whether or not he suffered from depression lol So I'm not buying it one bit. Good riddance to trash.

I'm gonna try and answer some of the responses. In terms of the ethnicity thing, you can't say it hasn't been brought up when both Atherton and Hussain have brought it up. You really think the players are going to bring it up and affect future chances of employment?

Look at the levels of racism witnessed in football today, all around europe and in the EPL too, a lot of which, aimed at fans or players, which I have witnessed personally. How many players in the EPL have actually come forward to speak out against it? Have the pointed the finger at clubs, poor organisation or FIFA itself? No and they sadly never will. Sport doesn't exactly house the men of highest moral character or strength. It's not really the days of Muhammad ALi when someone would speak out and fearsome tweak the sponsors and money men.

Now, in terms of the depression and anxiety side of things, I'm a medical student so I've met many people who suffer from it (students and patients). In some cases it is truly a debilitating condition where the person can not do much about it but from personal experience, I've come across a few who just can't handle the pressure. They let it get to them and instead of fighting it, they fall back on this nanny state we're so busy creating. They like to be molly coddled. I say this about Troutt, because as I previously mentioned, he came out and said HIMSELF he was not depressed, it was reported on cricinfo, leading to criticism from many people, including Vaughn. This then led to Trott once again changing his opinion on whether or not he suffered from depression lol So I'm not buying it one bit. Good riddance to trash.

You say people aren't going to speak out about racism because it will affect their selection, and then call Trott a piece of Trash for doing the same thing in regards to the seriousness of his depression?

Last edited:
You say people aren't going to speak out about racism because it will affect their selection, and then call Trott a piece of Trash for doing the same thing in regards to the seriousness of his depression?

Maybe you should read the whole of my post, then you'll know why my opinion of Trott is what it is.

Maybe you should read the whole of my post, then you'll know why my opinion of Trott is what it is.

Quite sure I did? You think trott is a piece of trash because of his varying statements on his depression/burnout by my understanding?

Same thing happened with Trescothick. He was meant to come out and say that he was suffering from Depression etc, but came out and blamed 'burn out', first of all.

It's just a stigma that very few people want to admit too, because they get so much stick from people, who call them weak, rather than ill.

In terms of the ethnicity thing, you can't say it hasn't been brought up when both Atherton and Hussain have brought it up.
Can you provide some sort of link because I can't seem to find anything?

Users who are viewing this thread