New text-based cricket simulation software help & advice.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Ideal T20 simulator for me...
  • It should be easy and simple like Cricsim...
  • Easy to create and edit teams...
  • Players ratings need to be simple and accurate (Bat Avg + Strike Rate & Bowling Avg + Strike Rate)... 80% of time best rated players need to play good cricket in simulation...
  • it will be good if we gets a option like how many bowlers need bowl how many overs and which part of the innings...
  • and in t20 simulator, super over feature & no ball free hit is must...
  • i like output commentary & scorecard simple like cricsim...
  • if simulator support tournaments and able to record stats than it will be good...
note: if any of our good friend in PC want to create a simple T20 simulator, than please look at CS15 thread... It is open source and need some tweaks and bug fixes...

Last edited:

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
  • it will be good if we gets a option like how many bowlers need bowl how many overs and which part of the innings...
That's what I was going to suggest.
Like in over 1-10 this bowlers should but if they are conceding more than 8 or 10( which you can set) bring another pair of bowlers.

SixerBoy11

Chairman of Selectors
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Few months back, I was working on a cricket simulator in C++. Unfortunately, I was not able to continue due to my busy schedule. Now I don't have that file too. :p
Now I guess its the right time for me to start working on a simulator from scratch, again . It will be really great if 2 or 3 members contribute in developing phase?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Great to see some interest in this, and people willing to learn!

Okay, here are some random thoughts.

1. There are two parts to writing a cricket simulator.
a. The programming
b. The algorithm of simulation
Both require different skill sets to perfect. I can share my algorithm for simulation if you like, which I got from sohum anyway...

2. While willingness to learn is great (I started out by learning from PlanetCricket elites too), you have to understand its gonna be a long haul and commitment for newbies if you wanna build something better than CS09 (which is pretty much newbie level). Be prepared for that level of commitment.

3. I don't believe C++ is the right language AT all for anyone starting out, or writing a text based simulator. You people should look at Python - it'll be 10x easier to write it in Python. Don't worry about creating an .exe; that can be handled when things are running. Just play around with the language first.

4. If you wanna add value, start by listing down what do you want in the end product that is NOT there in the current simulators available. Work towards that goal.

5. I see something new called Digisims around. If its so new, maybe contribute to it/ask for features?

It is great to hack and learn (and I encourage everyone to do it), but as I learned when trying to help Sohum initially with PCCS (when I was a noob), it is not exactly a cakewalk to write software with multiple people involved. Big corporations struggle with this.

That's it for now. Let me know if you want to know anything specific from me. Just tag me.[DOUBLEPOST=1493565309][/DOUBLEPOST]And about mentorship/guidance - I can certainly help a bit with that, but make no mistake - I won't be able to teach you programming. You're on your own for that. Unfortunately there's just not enough time and resources available to teach programming full time. I can help at a higher level, trying to put pieces together, provide direction but you'll have to learn programming on your own. Languages like Python have EXCELLENT resources and libraries available.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
You people should look at Python - it'll be 10x easier to write it in Python
A web based simulator is what I would be comfortable with especially with my field of expertise being MVC (.Net and PHP)

SixerBoy11

Chairman of Selectors
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread