New Zealand in South Africa

Who will win the 5 match ODI series?

• South Africa

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
Oh [Removed by Mod], moan moan. Bad sportsman ship bah.

What was this McCullum incident, I went to bed. Smith is easily wound up. Its not against the rules for Mills to have a chat. NZ will be annoyed about this series, slowing down the game etc. is legal at the moment. Every team in the world has done it before. Australia, England, etc. Its not bad sportsmanship its just doing all you can to try to win. Mills has bowled properly, hes been one of our only performers. "Fleming can't get his team to win" well its not Flemings fault is it. It isn't Flemings fault he can't win a toss, not his fault that the batsmen are playing stupid shots.

We are NZ and we won't just lay down and die. We might be a tiny little country which seems to be just floating in the ocean somewhere but we won't give up. I don't know how the rugby team are bad sportsmanships, I hate the game but I don't think we actually lose very often.

irottev said:
We are NZ and we won't just lay down and die. We might be a tiny little country which seems to be just floating in the ocean somewhere but we won't give up. I don't know how the rugby team are bad sportsmanships, I hate the game but I don't think we actually lose very often.

were the best in the world for rugby at the moment, we are top of the rankings

hope we challenge the aussies next month in cricket

lukedapuke said:
Appalling cricket by New Zealand, especially by McCullum. Stumping Prince like that, is this the kind of attitude New Zealanders apply when they know they can't win? Pretty poor sportsmanship, much like their Rugby team.

I take Prince went out of his crease, something happened i.e injury and McCullum stumped him?

stevie said:
Apparently Prince was rehearsing a shot and McCullum stumped him.

Did some research and here it is.

Ashwell Prince was bizarrely stumped for nine after allowing a delivery from Vettori to pass through to wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum. Prince did not leave his crease, but McCullum whipped off the bails when the batsman shifted his feet, and he was adjudged out by the television umpire.

I will have to see the news on this one.

I was at the ground; and I would like to point out a few things ...

1. SA came back very well; after that great start by NZ, and contained the run rate before taking a few quick wickets. All credit must go to Hall; and Boucher for that brilliant run out.

2. It took a very very long time for Styris (I'm pretty sure it was Styris) to bowl over 19. The Black Caps were throwing the ball between themselves - even point got a feel before it finally found it's way to Styris; and then the over was unbelievably long. With almost everyone - even McMillian on the boundary - giving it a rub between balls - that was clearly to delay and hopefully get an abandoned game with the weather threatening. Slowing the game is a tactic - but this is against the spirit of cricket. Does anyone still respect that?

3. The stumping of Prince was weak - the appeal was halfhearted, and the decision bad. But can we complain - at least Hurter was consitant - he gave a dodgy decision against NZ earlier ...

4. I was heartedly embarrased by the abuse thrown at McMillian on the boundary near to where we were. Not so much for the fact that some drunk fans were yelling abuse - but at the pathetic taunts yelled. Sheep-shagger? Please be original. If you must abuse players from any nation - be funny at least. But I do apologise on behalf of all decent South Africans - that was ****-poor, and also not in the spirit of the game.

All in all - I thought it was a pretty well fought contest. Some poor performances on both sides, and a few excellent performances. Why is Irontev upset about that? I love cricket - not my team only. Isn't that what we mean by the spirit of the game? Or is that a lost concept?

Thanks for that, I am still yet to see the stumping or Styris slowing the game down. It isn't really in the spirit but its something any side would probably do to try to win/draw. In this case, South Africa had won the series and I think they didn't really need to do it.

Paelleon said:
4. I was heartedly embarrased by the abuse thrown at McMillian on the boundary near to where we were. Not so much for the fact that some drunk fans were yelling abuse - but at the pathetic taunts yelled. Sheep-shagger? Please be original. If you must abuse players from any nation - be funny at least. But I do apologise on behalf of all decent South Africans - that was ****-poor, and also not in the spirit of the game.

Wait until you hear about this. Abuse to players on the field is nothing. This really made me angry. What happened to this guy is absolutly disgraceful. You may of seen him waving his NZ flag and Kiwi at all the games. He goes to every single Black Caps cricket game all around the world.

Attachments

• Article.jpg
    Article.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Can't believe South Africans could be so cruel. A fan doesn't deserve this treatment just cause they support NZ. They clearly are targeting him for him to be attacked so many times.

Well a few of them anyway. I am sure not all of South Africa are like that. Its just a few people with no respect for other people.

no offence to south africans, but south africa is one of the worst countries in the world for violence and crime

but its not every one in south africa its only a very few people who spoil an excellent countries name

I didn't know this guy could attend all these matches for free.

But this guy is really treated bad out there. I don't know if the attackers actually know if he is from New Zealanders (especially if he was walking in normal street clothes, he could look like a normal South African), otherwhile it could just the place, where he used to walk around.

Pretty bad news, but I've heard a lot of worse stories from there.

I'm sorry - I have to step in here.

From that report - it sounded to me more like he was a victim of crime. Every country in the world has spots to avoid, or be more careful of. SA, with more than half of it's population living below the breadline, does have a very high crime rate. That is a result of circumstance and poor government (although the ANC is working on the problem). Thankfully we are not Kenya, where bribes are a prerequisite - just to get into the country.

I didn't pick up any reference to the crimes being committed by SA fans ...

Certainly non of the hooligan violence that English soccer fans are renowned for.

It seems that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time (a bar frequented by prostitutes ... is he blind - those Durban ladies of the night are a bit naf), and not simply targeting him because he was wearing black. Besides, I have seen the violence that you are referring to in rugby supporters - but never in cricket. SA cricket fans are not dangerous or violent. Some do get a bit tipsy, and then get boastful or arrogant - but that has never escalated into a violent confrontation.

And Jazz - offence can hardly not be taken. The violent crime rate is on the decline, but yes, still very very high. That is in general. Certainly not in sport or among sport fans. If you were implying that it is a dangerous place to go to in support of your team - that is not only wrong, and misinformed, but damn inflamatory. I would argue that SA is one of the best places to watch your teams performing. Certainly had very few complaints during the World Cups we hosted ...

The thing is,us locals know what situations to avoid and where not to go,but foreigners are usually unaware of the potential dangers,etc.Its sad that this happens,and we as South Africans are truly ashamed of it,but every country has its problems,and so do we.

Paelleon said:
I'm sorry - I have to step in here.

From that report - it sounded to me more like he was a victim of crime. Every country in the world has spots to avoid, or be more careful of. SA, with more than half of it's population living below the breadline, does have a very high crime rate. That is a result of circumstance and poor government (although the ANC is working on the problem). Thankfully we are not Kenya, where bribes are a prerequisite - just to get into the country.

THats right, it wasn't necessarily SA fans. Chances are he was wearing an NZ shirt. Lots of people are the victims of crime. It just happens I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread