New Zealand

Agreed with Franklin, he's the new Oram to be honest. McGlashan has been going well, but I guess the disadvantage with that is that McCullum will end up not keeping, which I think is a bad thing. Also Oram bowls a little, even if he gets smacked around half the time, the other half the time he can be economical and handy.

Wish we coulda had Bond. If we had Bond we'd be SERIOUS contenders. I'd honestly think we'd have the best side if we could keep the XI on the park. Good to hear he's being welcomed back though. Now it's up to him to say he's up for it.

Having McCullum in the field isn't that bad because he is such a good fielder, but McGlashan kind of deserves to be in the team. He made quite a nice 50 against India when they were over here, and he looked pretty good. I didn't see his innings the other day but I heard it was pretty good.

And on Bond I think he will play in Sri Lanka, can't see him playing the test matches but he should be fine for the ODI's hopefully. I heard Tuffey is pretty much in the squad for that tour too.

The only problem with McCullum in the field is his catching. He dropped some sitters in the IPL. Also his keeping is better than McGlashans, not to say McGlashan's is terrible. Plus I hate seeing that stupid looking faceguard McGlashan wears.

McCullum did take one screamer which I saw on replay. But obviously didn't see his dropped catches. So may as well put McGlashan in the field, not like he can go worse.

That catch was a ripper. He takes the hard ones and drops the sitters. lol. Then again, the sitters were very early in the competition, he probably hadn't adjusted his hands to catching the ball without gloves yet or something. Maybe the pressure got to him on the high ball. Understandable.

Yes, i think they have a good chance to win the cup since they have very powerful hitters.

The only problem with them is consistency which they lack , if they improve on this aspect then they achieve the task.

Ya that is really our big problem, our "consistency". That is what is stopping us from climbing the test ranking as we can not put in a good enough performance for 5 days.
One 20/20 all our top 4 will get going and will put like 180 on the board, while the next one we will find ourselves 20/5 against a reasonably similar opposition.
I think we defenatly got the side to win it, i just hope it all goes according to plan.

It will be more important for New Zealand that Ross Taylor and Jacob Oram fire with the bat, as well as James Franklin.

Dont forget about Guppy, hes a star.

But for me Taylor is the key with the bat.

Our all rounders are crucial with the ball; Styris, Oram and Ryder all need to keep it tight.

Should be interesting to see what team they go with when Vettori comes back. Oram is surely on thin ice but he is a big game player and I can't help but think something special from him is just around the corner. Likewise McGlashan hasn't done anything wrong but may have to move over. Who would you guys go with for the SA game?

Probably just 1 change, maybe 2 if Mills is fit. You have to bring Vettori back in and really the obvious choice would be to drop N McCullum who didnt bat or bowl in the Scotland game.
My XI would be:

1. B. McCullum
2. J. Ryder
3. M. Guptill
4. R. Taylor
5. S. Styris
6. J. Oram
7. P. McGlashan - Wicketkeeper
8. J. Franklin
9. D. Vettori - Captain
10. I. Butler
11. I. O'Brien - K Mills if fit

Batting line up would be reasonably flexible. Maybe push Guptill down and bring Taylor, Oram and Franklin up depending on the situation. That also would have four 4 over bowlers in Franklin, Vettori, Butler and O'Brien and rely on Oram, Styris and Ryder to get through 4-8 overs.

Iain O'Brien has always been a very expensive bowler.i think he is more suited to the longer format of the game as he always bowls in the length region hoping for the pitch to assist him.
i would rather like to see tim southee or kyle mills play instead of him.
i am seriously beginning to doubt jacob oram's ability as a batsman.i think he is just a good bowler who can hit a few balls out of the park (like harbhajan or steyn or tanvir)
he plays such ridiculous cricket and says that being an all-rounder is physically tough!
but,he's a very good bowler.
i wonder if grant elliott is a part of the squad.he did well with the ball for surrey in the T20 cup.i would like to see him in action too.
please don't discuss about shane bond.it's just a waste of time and hope.
he'll get injured after playing a couple of matches anyway even if he returns.
i want dan to show some more faith in southee as he's young and give him a few more chances.
southee can swing the ball(away from the right handers) in the english conditions.:cheers

Iain O'Brien has always been a very expensive bowler.i think he is more suited to the longer format of the game as he always bowls in the length region hoping for the pitch to assist him.
i would rather like to see tim southee or kyle mills play instead of him.
i am seriously beginning to doubt jacob oram's ability as a batsman.i think he is just a good bowler who can hit a few balls out of the park (like harbhajan or steyn or tanvir)
he plays such ridiculous cricket and says that being an all-rounder is physically tough!
but,he's a very good bowler.
i wonder if grant elliott is a part of the squad.he did well with the ball for surrey in the T20 cup.i would like to see him in action too.
i want dan to show some more faith in southee as he's young and give him a few more chances.
southee can swing the ball(away from the right handers) in the english conditions.:cheers

Mills is injured otherwise he would be in the team without a doubt.

Oram's batting form is a huge mystery but he has been out of sorts ever since he got injured after the Bangladesh tour last year which is an awful long time just to be having a bad run of form.

As for Tim Southee his bowling has been quite hitable recently but he is certainly a player for the future. If he can just add a few more KPH to his bowling and maintain the swing he gets he will be deadly.

I don't think Elliot is suited for T20 as much as some of our other guys he takes his time getting in and his bowling doesn't add anything to the side just another right arm medium.

You're one of the first people to mention him in this thread, so I dont know what you're smoking.

Southee's not in the squad so there goes that thought.

Users who are viewing this thread