Nov 25-29: 1st Test: Australia v England at Brisbane

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
We are less than 2 weeks away from the 1st Ashes test of the summer. Australia name their squad for the Ashes on Monday 11.30am (AEST) live streaming from Ashes squad named live on Fox Sports | Fox Sports
Has been all sorts of leading up to the squad being picked including an expanded squad to cover for the injuries and to allow selectors more time to look at players but they latest reports indicate a 12 man squad being picked.

It looks to be Siddle vs Harris for the 4th bowling spot and 12th spot in the squad.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have no idea why they're picking the team so early. There's still matches in between then and the first test.

To say I'm looking forward to this would be an understatement.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Only thing I can think of his media commitments else its another one of the crazy things that is happening in Australian cricket atm.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
It could be partly for psychological reasons too: Giving Hussey and North some peace of mind before the last Shield game so it's not a 'must score big' game for them. But think of what might happen if they both fail twice for WA, there will still be huge amounts of pressure on them come the Gabba.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My AUS team/squad once all are fit (Katman & Doug) although i know it wont happen:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Ferguson/Hussey/Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Siddle
Hussey/Ferguson/Khawaja

Predicted XI/squad from the dull selectors:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris/Siddle/Hauritz
Hilfy
Bolly

Harris/Siddle/Hauritz
Ferguson/Khawaja/Hughes

War added 4 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

It could be partly for psychological reasons too: Giving Hussey and North some peace of mind before the last Shield game so it's not a 'must score big' game for them. But think of what might happen if they both fail twice for WA, there will still be huge amounts of pressure on them come the Gabba.

Exactly. Its about given those two peace of mind AND trying to maintain this aura of the AUS team of the glory years in which usually a team was picked long in advance before the home summer tests.

Both are equally wrong since North & Hussey need runs before the 1st test in red ball cricket (mainly Huss since North shouldn't be retained even if he scored a double hundred for WA). While this is no longer the glory days.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Clarke heroics may prove costly | Fox Sports

So if Clarke is out forget about Hussey and North being dropped. Probably have Hussey move to 4, North to 5 although I hope they don't use the excuse that moving him to 5 was the reason for his failure. Replacements are still the same in Khawaja, Ferguson and Smith although McDonald has made a late charge. It's a shame the squad is announced so early as another look at those players would be good.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well I don't think Hussey and North were gonna be dropped anyway. Part of the reason being that Hughes, Ferguson, Smith and Khawaja did nothing at all in their matches this week. If someone had put their hand up and shown they really were in great touch, then the pressure would be greater. Yeah McDonald scored well, but he wasn't really in the frame for a batting spot to begin with.

But anyway, North and Hussey will almost certainly both be named in the extended squad. I'd be shocked if not. Plus you can always name them, with a couple of reserves in the squad and then drop them next week when the 'real' squad comes out after the final round of matches.

I'd move North to 4 if Clarke can't play, and move Hussey down to at LEAST 5. Batting him lower would hopefully free up his strokeplay a bit, so he plays a bit more like he does in the ODIs. Well truth be told I'd rather not have Huss at all - hopefully Clarke's OK.

I think I'd name the expected 12:
Watson, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, North, Haddin, Johnson, Harris/Hauritz, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger.
Then a couple of cover players: Hughes (probably) for Clarke, Siddle for Bollinger/Harris. Then it's just a matter of whether you want to name guys like Ferguson/Khawaja, Smith or McDonald to put pressure on the out of form guys. That way there is a get out clause if North or particularly Hussey fails again in the last Shield game.

That's 18 possible guys I've named. Big squad potentially:D I'd name all 18, but I think the selectors would go with the first 12, 2 covers players and maybe McDonald for a 15 man squad at most.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yeah McDonald scored well, but he wasn't really in the frame for a batting spot to begin with.

Certainly wasn't in the frame but now he is. If he gets another 100 next week then it'll be hard not to seriously consider him. Especially if the other contenders fail to stand up.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I can't believe Hussey's place in the starting xi is a matter of debate - I know the guy's had a tough time recently but he has a habit of putting in the performances when they count - the ton at the oval last year was under pressure and his knock in the sydney test brought aus back into that game.

I would bet good money that he will produce atleast one match-winning performance in this series.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Foxsports are predicting a 15 man squad with the star young trio from NSW batting all making the side. No Ferguson and the biggest news no Harris who has pulled up sore.

JD10

International Cricketer
I'm quite surprised at this ashes. They're is so much speculation about the Aussie selection and England are keeping it on the quiet side

What selectors will pick:
Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Collingwood
Bell
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Ashes XI i would pick:
Strauss (plainly because he's class)
Trott (Solid end of)
KP (Needs some responsibillity to make him preform)
Collingwood (Solid middle order bat)
Morgan (give him a chance what he deserves put Aussies on the back foot)
Prior (High quality keeper in my eyes)
Broad (Good batter to have at number 8)
Swann (Simply best spinner in the world)
Anderson (Give him the new ball end of)
Finn (Be good on the quick pitches in Perth and bouncy)

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Ashes XI i would pick:
Strauss (plainly because he's class)
Trott (Solid end of)
KP (Needs some responsibillity to make him preform)
Collingwood (Solid middle order bat)
Morgan (give him a chance what he deserves put Aussies on the back foot)
Prior (High quality keeper in my eyes)
Broad (Good batter to have at number 8)
Swann (Simply best spinner in the world)
Anderson (Give him the new ball end of)
Finn (Be good on the quick pitches in Perth and bouncy)

Lol, you think England are so good, that they can beat Australia with only 10 players :p

I'm thinking you either missed out Cook as an opener or Bell in the middle order. Hmm, I think Trott would do a decent job opening considering he sort of did it anyway against Pak this summer after Cook fell early.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
If I'm England I'd have Morgan at the ready for Bell/Collingwood, maybe even KP if those guys fail hard in the first 2 Tests. Same for Finn, keep Tremlett loose and ready...

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Even if Bell was to fail in the first two tests he's very likely to retain his place unlike Collingwood. Bell's been in very good nick for over a year with England Collingwood however...

Users who are viewing this thread