ODI should be scrapped

Been following this thread since its creation, thought of posting but didn't.

To be honest, on my own perspective I enjoy the ODI format the most. Players just don't go on slogging and a miss hit and you're gone. Nor like a test where both the batsmen and bowlers just keep on playing and batsmen struggle for boundaries and bowlers for wickets. Though that's the real tolerance and calmness of a player. But as a spectator you can't keep on watching a test match ball by ball.

Comparing T20s and ODIs; Suppose you're 30-4 in seven/eight overs, you can build a game if your temperament and tolerance level is high in an ODI. But for the same in a T20, you come hit and go, if you don't people start calling you Misbah for the innings you're trying to settle. And though you settle the innings you can't go and post a match-winning total

That's what I have to say.
Dd were 47-4 After 11 Overes but they lost the matcg just by 1 Run how, its because duminy and Morris batted with patience and shaped up the entire inning but couldnt win because bravo n pk's last spells

t20 Tournament we can use better for uplifting the interest about game in new associates

Club Cricket in most associates (at least the ones that have a significant Cricket infrastructure) is 50 over Cricket; always has been. There's a very good reason for that; its a format that has elements of both the longer and shorter game and means that players are more adaptable if they get to higher levels. That's where you have to focus on building a sport like Cricket; you can't do it by spamming them with foreign T20 Cricket because it doesn't work; they tried that in America six months ago and it didn't move the needle at all. You have to build from the ground up; and the best way of doing that IMO is with 40 or 50 over Cricket - one other advantage is that in that form of the game its more likely that everyone in the team gets a go at either batting or bowling; which is an important thing when you're playing a game because no one is going to stick with a sport when all they are doing is fielding, which is possibly one of the most boring things to do in any sport ever.

I just played in a T20 game tonight: it wasn't the thrill-a-minute spectacle that you seem to suggest that lower level T20 matches are. I was batting for about half an hour and scored 9 mostly because I'm not very good, and honestly most players in club Cricket in all countries aren't - Scotland is a country in which the sport has always been developed (because of our proximity with England mostly) and I play for a team that has both lots of high-skill players and facilities that would be considered excellent down south; for some of the smaller clubs that have less resources and shallower talent pools that applies more so. At a grassroots level; focusing on 50 over Cricket is probably a good thing to stick to; although maybe having a few more T20s around would be a nice thing. You're never going to get any multi-day stuff simply because you're talking about Amateurs; people who are playing for fun who have to work during the week.

That's Club Cricket though; above that things are more complicated. Again, I think that this apparent anti-ODI feeling is more people not liking lengthy ODI series with no point to them; and I think that something that makes sure that the vast majority of games have a context to them: an advantage for winning or a disadvantage to losing; would be favourable for world Cricket but that needs to happen in all formats. Its the one thing that I really like with the current structure of Associate Cricket; and why I think moving towards having regional competitions or quadrangular tournaments; or even a sixteen team World Cup with a format that makes every game count (four groups of four; top two qualify into either quarter finals or if you need more games for some reason two groups of four; top two to go semis) is something that needs to happen.

An 8 team Champion's trophy held annually in one country for a two month period. No groups, nothing, each team plays the other once and the one with most points wins the darn thing. No semis, no finals.

yes lets have the same eight countries play each other even more, that's what everyone really wants. especially doing it for two bloody months (longer than the World Cup which everyone already thinks is way too long); that means that you have to shove all the other games that you want in the other ten months, although considering the IPL and the BBL its probably more like eight.

no other sport does this; i think that it would hurt world Cricket more than it helps. One issue that you have with a sport like Cricket when you have such a small number of core teams is that people get bored of seeing the same people always play each other: that's why we need to grow the game.

trolling me ? :)

...do you even know what trolling is?

Lots of people seem to be coming at it from a tactical angle comparing T20s and 50 over cricket tactically and it's not really about that, it's about why ODIs were created, it's about why there's still no Test championship but 2 ICC sanctioned ODI tournaments and above all one of them called the "World Cup" of cricket. You wouldn't see this in any other sport, football's "World Cup" isn't a futsal world tournament, only cricket has the honor of kicking the original format to the curb for money so please do not make this about tactics. It's purely about money and in the long run, given proper respect and time while also getting off our elitist high horse and accepting T20Is for what they are, it will obliterate ODIs in the money game.
play a t20 Series with test matches much better idea.odi only for world cup or icc tournament
What would be the point of a world tournament for a internationally dead format? 2 ICC sanctioned tournaments, ICC Test World Cup and ICC Twenty20 World Cup, every 4 years with a 2 year gap between the 2 tournaments.

Club Cricket in most associates (at least the ones that have a significant Cricket infrastructure) is 50 over Cricket; always has been. There's a very good reason for that; its a format that has elements of both the longer and shorter game and means that players are more adaptable if they get to higher levels. That's where you have to focus on building a sport like Cricket; you can't do it by spamming them with foreign T20 Cricket because it doesn't work; they tried that in America six months ago and it didn't move the needle at all. You have to build from the ground up; and the best way of doing that IMO is with 40 or 50 over Cricket - one other advantage is that in that form of the game its more likely that everyone in the team gets a go at either batting or bowling; which is an important thing when you're playing a game because no one is going to stick with a sport when all they are doing is fielding, which is possibly one of the most boring things to do in any sport ever.

I just played in a T20 game tonight: it wasn't the thrill-a-minute spectacle that you seem to suggest that lower level T20 matches are. I was batting for about half an hour and scored 9 mostly because I'm not very good, and honestly most players in club Cricket in all countries aren't - Scotland is a country in which the sport has always been developed (because of our proximity with England mostly) and I play for a team that has both lots of high-skill players and facilities that would be considered excellent down south; for some of the smaller clubs that have less resources and shallower talent pools that applies more so. At a grassroots level; focusing on 50 over Cricket is probably a good thing to stick to; although maybe having a few more T20s around would be a nice thing. You're never going to get any multi-day stuff simply because you're talking about Amateurs; people who are playing for fun who have to work during the week.

That's Club Cricket though; above that things are more complicated. Again, I think that this apparent anti-ODI feeling is more people not liking lengthy ODI series with no point to them; and I think that something that makes sure that the vast majority of games have a context to them: an advantage for winning or a disadvantage to losing; would be favourable for world Cricket but that needs to happen in all formats. Its the one thing that I really like with the current structure of Associate Cricket; and why I think moving towards having regional competitions or quadrangular tournaments; or even a sixteen team World Cup with a format that makes every game count (four groups of four; top two qualify into either quarter finals or if you need more games for some reason two groups of four; top two to go semis) is something that needs to happen.
I will most definitely concede that the 50/40 overs format has the best mix of Tests and T20s and thus it would theoretically make you more adaptable to Tests and T20s compared to a long format lifer or a T20 lifer, but this is about the need for the format at the international level, there's some molding of players going on at the international level don't get me wrong, but most of everything has been done at the domestic level and players are generally 80% of the finished product they will be at the end of their international careers. The anti-ODI feeling for me comes from simply watching T20s and going back to ODIs, it's boring, literally nothing happens in the middle 30 overs and generally the most boring stuff cricket can offer is on display, this is coming from someone that's watched many Tests in the sub-continent without almost not missing a ball (and enjoys them). Anyway the rest of it is great, the powerplay at the beginning and the last 10 overs, aka a T20.

Last edited:
I think most of the 'boring' for odi's come from falling standards of pitches and bilateral series! WC15 was certainly fab to watch! It also comes from the fact that 3 of the better 8 odi teams are literally lurching!
than the format itself!

Ya ODI is used as WC mainly cause of money and TIME, a test format between eight nations cant be done in two months, the logistics of it would be unbelievable and the player fatigue, the fans them,selves wont be able to follow games as they do with odis's! ODI's gave the chance to have realistic World cup competition for cricket!

Now im not saying Test cant have its championship tournament but it will be nothing like a World cup format, it has to be done over a year or two with teams goign against each other home and away and finally having a show down between two or 4 best teams! This in itself would be a logistics and scheduling nightmare!

Its not eliteism but odi's certainly appeal to a lot, i mean rahane one of the gifted players has to be undervalued by even an ardent fan of him like me in t20s its not cricket at its core its soda with color and sugar if we are honest! It does have its own nuances but cant replace odi cricket!

I do believe odi's can get boring in the middle overs but its mostly these atrocious powerplay rules that were there a while back but i would still blame it on pitches that do nothing and the two new ball rule that literally took the reverse swing and spin out of odi's this is the reason middle overs of odi's are boring compare to the odi's before these pig headed rule changes, i would just have one ball and change it based on conditions if it gets too damp and out of shape, just get in a two bouncer rule, i would even make test match style wides into it, make the batsman play, flat pitches should be banned for the good of the game, schedule them as tournaments with gaps instead of meaningless bi-laterals!

Its the only format that can give you a world champion with a world tournament, without logistical problems or watering the game down too much!

Last edited:
T20 cricket is a joke. I know it's gotten big but in my eyes it's still like a joke format tbh. Batsmen coming in and smashing the ball around, woo. Gets pretty boring after a while. ODI's are great, watching the build up of an innings, watching batsmen pace themselves properly. So many little things which make ODI's great to watch.

@Epic I don't think it's anything to do with being elitist. Cricket is about for a lot of us who watch is about the game, sure T20 has it's place but for a lot of us cricket isn't a sport where you just come in and smash the ball around.

T20 cricket is a joke. I know it's gotten big but in my eyes it's still like a joke format tbh. Batsmen coming in and smashing the ball around, woo. Gets pretty boring after a while. ODI's are great, watching the build up of an innings, watching batsmen pace themselves properly. So many little things which make ODI's great to watch.

@Epic I don't think it's anything to do with being elitist. Cricket is about for a lot of us who watch is about the game, sure T20 has it's place but for a lot of us cricket isn't a sport where you just come in and smash the ball around.
T20 Is a joke? Lol . Then give me reply why australia couldnt able to win any wt20 Till yet,and why they are ranking at 6th position.

Dont agree with this anymore, think from crowd perspective , T20 is the real thing only , this format have a mass appeal

Dont agree with this anymore, think from crowd perspective , T20 is the real thing only , this format have a mass appeal[DOUBLEPOST=1461818239][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whats the point in this statement? Is there any rule saying Australia should win every big tournment they play?
his purpose of saying might be that if australia didnt able to win because they did not apply appropriate t20 strategies here

pick up the results of last 30 Odis and t20i, almost 80% Matches in t20 Got finish with tight results .where as only 20% For odi format

time has gone now when everybody just want to watch a full day match and that too with almost all one sided match

t20 Is a game of 3 Hrs, and too dynamicly all things go here thats tremendous

pick up the results of last 30 Odis and t20i, almost 80% Matches in t20 Got finish with tight results .where as only 20% For odi format
So you need tight matches rather than entertainment.

Dont agree with this anymore, think from crowd perspective , T20 is the real thing only , this format have a mass appeal[DOUBLEPOST=1461818239][/DOUBLEPOST]
his purpose of saying might be that if australia didnt able to win because they did not apply appropriate t20 strategies here

time has gone now when everybody just want to watch a full day match and that too with almost all one sided match

t20 Is a game of 3 Hrs, and too dynamicly all things go here thats tremendous
T20 Is a joke? Lol . Then give me reply why australia couldnt able to win any wt20 Till yet,and why they are ranking at 6th position.

Again, I'm not denying T20 in terms of excitement, mass appeal or what have you. I'm talking about the actual game of cricket, not the fans, not the "excitement" just the game of cricket itself which in my opinion T20 just isn't real cricket. Call me elitist or whatever but I just don't see it has a real format however it has it's place and maybe one day it will be the only ODI format.

Again, I'm not denying T20 in terms of excitement, mass appeal or what have you. I'm talking about the actual game of cricket, not the fans, not the "excitement" just the game of cricket itself which in my opinion T20 just isn't real cricket. Call me elitist or whatever but I just don't see it has a real format however it has it's place and maybe one day it will be the only ODI format.

so now i should consider there two categories actually

1. peoples those want to watch real cricket

2. ones are more hopeful about future of this sport

but if this concept of real cricket(test or odis) would able to generate enough finances?

but again too much t20s wont be a nice idea. specially international ones

Do you guys actually think that if ODI is scrapped, cricket will grow ? NO. I dunno how that logic works ? It's not like, ODI is sidelining T20s. T20 games can be played even if ODI is there.

Look. The new teams are anyway being introduced to T20s. They are being drawn to T20 in the beginning itself. Once they improve, then only ODI format is being introduced to them. We need more and more test playing countries. And if ODI is scrapped, those newer and improved teams will not be able to play tests. ODI is an intermediate for them. T20 will teach them to play shots and ODI will help them to build an innings, toil hard for runs which will be the base for Test matches. If you think that if a team is good in T20 and if you want them to play Tests, it will be an impossible task for them. They will be used to playing only 40 overs a day whereas in Tests they should play for whole freaking 5 days!

Now, don't tell that newer teams should be limited to only T20s. That would be boring. No real change in format and no new challenges to face. We need more and more competitive teams to play Tests even if it takes so many years to train them. In T20s, the main thing is only hitting. Hit out or get out is the motto. There is no place for playing stable innings or building an innings with patience. If you think that cricket is only about hitting sixes and fours and not about testing patience, then you are a fool. And yes, T20 will not teach you patience.

Main reason for the availability of these three formats is that each format has it's own style. You need to adapt to different formats.

Also in bowling perspective, bowling only 4 overs per match for your whole life ? Seriously ? Bowlers and also batsmen would love to play more and more and not just bowl 4 overs or bat 30 odd balls per match. ODI might be boring for you, but for hardcore cricket fans, it will bring more delight than T20.

Yes, newer teams must be introduced to only T20. But once they grow, they should be introduced to ODI and if there is any real maturity shown by them, introduce them to Test. It will take a long time, but it would be good to play more Test.

Ask any cricketer. His main aim is to represent his country in the Tests. Not T20. This is where ODI comes in. It is a bridge that connects T20 and Tests.

Would you rather watch a 5 match series of T20 or ODI ? I would rather watch ODI. It would seriously be boring to watch those many T20 matches. I am already waiting for T20 season to finish. Since January, I am seeing only T20s. Not only me, almost all of the cricket fans around me. So, if only T20 and Tests are there, I would honestly be disappointed with it. As no newer teams will be playing tests as they will be playing only T20s and obviously that transition to test will not happen and we will be stuck with only 10 test playing nations of which only 7 teams are currently competitive.

Do you guys actually think that if ODI is scrapped, cricket will grow ? NO. I dunno how that logic works ? It's not like, ODI is sidelining T20s. T20 games can be played even if ODI is there.

Look. The new teams are anyway being introduced to T20s. They are being drawn to T20 in the beginning itself. Once they improve, then only ODI format is being introduced to them. We need more and more test playing countries. And if ODI is scrapped, those newer and improved teams will not be able to play tests. ODI is an intermediate for them. T20 will teach them to play shots and ODI will help them to build an innings, toil hard for runs which will be the base for Test matches. If you think that if a team is good in T20 and if you want them to play Tests, it will be an impossible task for them. They will be used to playing only 40 overs a day whereas in Tests they should play for whole freaking 5 days!

Now, don't tell that newer teams should be limited to only T20s. That would be boring. No real change in format and no new challenges to face. We need more and more competitive teams to play Tests even if it takes so many years to train them. In T20s, the main thing is only hitting. Hit out or get out is the motto. There is no place for playing stable innings or building an innings with patience. If you think that cricket is only about hitting sixes and fours and not about testing patience, then you are a fool. And yes, T20 will not teach you patience.

Main reason for the availability of these three formats is that each format has it's own style. You need to adapt to different formats.

Also in bowling perspective, bowling only 4 overs per match for your whole life ? Seriously ? Bowlers and also batsmen would love to play more and more and not just bowl 4 overs or bat 30 odd balls per match. ODI might be boring for you, but for hardcore cricket fans, it will bring more delight than T20.

Yes, newer teams must be introduced to only T20. But once they grow, they should be introduced to ODI and if there is any real maturity shown by them, introduce them to Test. It will take a long time, but it would be good to play more Test.

Ask any cricketer. His main aim is to represent his country in the Tests. Not T20. This is where ODI comes in. It is a bridge that connects T20 and Tests.

Would you rather watch a 5 match series of T20 or ODI ? I would rather watch ODI. It would seriously be boring to watch those many T20 matches. I am already waiting for T20 season to finish. Since January, I am seeing only T20s. Not only me, almost all of the cricket fans around me. So, if only T20 and Tests are there, I would honestly be disappointed with it. As no newer teams will be playing tests as they will be playing only T20s and obviously that transition to test will not happen and we will be stuck with only 10 test playing nations of which only 7 teams are currently competitive.

i think whatever format it is , each one have its own space but too many cricket is the real concern IMO,, specially bilateral series

ICC need to seriously look out on this issue

Last edited:

yup agreed[DOUBLEPOST=1461915851][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you think that cricket is only about hitting sixes and fours and not about testing patience, then you are a fool
no way , dont think such, look at my signature :)

Users who are viewing this thread