Do you like the idea?

• Yes

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
We have been considering ideas brought to our attention from Sid and Spin to make downloading AI patches a bit more easier for new members.

The idea I have come up with is that we form a panel of judges that will judge any new AI patch and if they want any of the current AI patches.
Nothing will change, any new AI patches will be put in the Download Center, the only thing different is there would be reviews placed in the Download thread e.g like this http://www.planetcricket.org/modules.php?name=Links&file=viewlinkinfo&id=691 where rajspice has posted a reply. This would be where our panel of judges would put their review.

For me I wouldn't mind a review of the AI patches as the features look all the same to me. This is exactly how I download my spyware programs, browsers, buying a phone etc. I read the reviews.

Anyway if you like the idea vote for it, if not thats fine.
If the idea is good, those who would want to be in this panel of judges, just put your names in this thread. I'll see if I can get the panel of judges a customized name.

Last edited:
yeh sure why not. i'll go for it :)

Right now, I don't see any harm with the way things are going at the moment. I mean peoples download every patch, but they use the one they like most. So, it should be upto every individual to decide which patch they want to use.

Not all the patches are appreciated anyways. That gives the indication that people know what they want.

Last edited:
Well the reviews are just there to help people. Take a look at this page http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3640-8022_4-10399602.html
Now I would like to see reviews like that from people here but most people are too lazy to write them, so having a panel of judges will mean each AI patch will definitely have reviews.
Also it won't just be one review, it could be 10 reviews thus we cover the problem of people with different taste.

These reviews shouldn't stop people from downloading every patch if they want to, its up to them. It just gives them a better guide as to how the AI patch performs.

cricket doctor said:
Everyone has its own view on different patches, and its not necessary that the review, panel of judges will put in, will be the right kind of review. So I don't think this idea would work actually.

Right now, I don't see any harm with the way things are going at the moment. I mean peoples download every patch, but they use the one they like most. So, it should be upto every individual to decide which patch they want to use.

Not all the patches are appreciated anyways. That gives the indication that people know what they want.
It will still be their own wish!!!They read the review...And if they want to download it they can or leave it!!!

Every single user would have his/her own preferences, don't know whether it would do alot, don't know whether it would harm it either.

Has the CD patch with virus been removed yet from the downloads?

The panel of judges will give the AI patch maker a review so they know what to fix in their next version which they may not get right now. Anyway as you said no harm in it, if it doesn't work out we can scrape the plan and go back to normal cause this isn't a huge change to downloads.

Yep that CD virus download was removed.

aussie1st said:
The panel of judges will give the AI patch maker a review so they know what to fix in their next version which they may not get right now. Anyway as you said no harm in it, if it doesn't work out we can scrape the plan and go back to normal cause this isn't a huge change to downloads.

Every one knows his cricket here, and 100s of peoples would lile to be in panel of judges. Now, how would you be able to tell that person x knows his cricket better than person y, and he will give correct and honest review??

If some one says, I've worked for CPU's batting strategy throughout his inning in a test match, and if you are in a panel of judges, would you like to spend your time to play whole test match to see how CPU approaches his inning?????

..and even if you give your review, what is the gurantee that you've played whole test match??????

..If you want reviews to be guidelines for peoples to tell them about the quality of a patch,
then everyone should be given the rights to give his review.

I don't see any reason why if a patch is good, then people will not leave their reviews.

Now, for e.g. I?d like to have these peoples in ?Panel of Judges?:-
Sunil Gavaskar
Michael Holding
Dean Jones
David Gower
Martin Crow
Waqar Younis
Andy Flower
Arjun Ranatunga
Alan Donald
Akram Khan

[One from each test playing nation]

So, that I can be assured that the reviews I?ll get for my patch are given by experienced people and the people who know the game better then anyone else here at PC.

Thanks,
C.D. :onpc

Last edited:
Good point CD, all I want is for people to put their reviews in the Download Center instead of the Download thread. Go to all the big name download places, soccergaming, gtagaming, download.com, all their downloads have reviews. Compare this to here and you hardly ever see reviews just downloads. You would have to go to your thread in the forums to find a review which just isn't particular for non members.

i like the idea. you just need a reliable and consistent set of people doing the reviews to ensure that people are getting a full insight into the ai patches. i dont really understand why youve picked former cricket players in a panel of judges (have i missed something???)

MWaugh said:
i like the idea. you just need a reliable and consistent set of people doing the reviews to ensure that people are getting a full insight into the ai patches. i dont really understand why youve picked former cricket players in a panel of judges (have i missed something???)

I know I didn't catch that one either. Anyway I also think the idea is good but there would have to be some sort of constant system.

MWaugh said:

James219 said:
I know I didn't catch that one either. Anyway I also think the idea is good but there would have to be some sort of constant system.

That was just an e.g. lol. How would you find reliable and consistance peoples here???

aussie1st said:
Good point CD, all I want is for people to put their reviews in the Download Center instead of the Download thread. Go to all the big name download places, soccergaming, gtagaming, download.com, all their downloads have reviews. Compare this to here and you hardly ever see reviews just downloads. You would have to go to your thread in the forums to find a review which just isn't particular for non members.

Yup, I agree with you here mate. I'd also like to see people giving reviews in the Download center,but that doesn't mean we should have a panel of judges.We have to find some other solution for that,and we will come up with something pretty soon,I'm sure.

cricket doctor said:
That was just an e.g. lol. How would you find reliable and consistance peoples here???

im sure that the mods of the downloads centre would have an idea as to who would be reliable. people that have helped on issues like this in the past possibly and have been proven to be trustworthy members

Users who are viewing this thread