Panel of judges for AI Patches

Do you like the idea?

• Yes

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Request permission to approach the bench,

I think the Idea's a good one. I just spent god knows how long reading through very long threads (which by the way do not need to have every release and version of each patch in them) to try and get an idea as to which patch would suit me best.

In the end I found very little that was helpful and still had to download them all.

If there were a nice simple review letting me, the downloader, know that this particular patch was great for beginners.. or offered a far easier batting experience... or really does a good job at increasing the swing... etc. than I feel this can do nothing but help.

At the same time, by having a "panel of judges", a better name would be needed that doesn't sound quite so formal ("reviewers" for example) , that consistently post a few comments in the download section it could well encourage more and more members to post their own opinions and reviews following from the "Judges"...

Your honour, the defence rests :)

One idea could be-->>

We can have a poll for the "AI patch of the month" or something like that on the main page of pc (For e.g. the one which is "Are you going to pre-order c2005") in which anyone can vote the patch of his liking, and on the basis of it we can decide a rating for a patch.I reckon this would give the peoples fair idea of which patch he can choose.

i personally would prefer to see written reviews rather than just a poll. that way you can actually see what happens in the patch by outsiders. while alot of patches write long stories informing members about what is in the patch, quite often the patch looks to be the complete unit only to find that many of the added bonuses in the patch dont actually exist

aussie1st said:
Well the reviews are just there to help people. Take a look at this page http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3640-8022_4-10399602.html
Now I would like to see reviews like that from people here

Well,you can see the reviews like that,because they don't have any forums or threads to discuss. What would be the relevance of threads then??

Also, people don't have to pay anything to get a patch here.Reviews are generally to help people investing their money on a better and right kind of product.

cricket doctor said:
Well,you can see the reviews like that,because they don't have any forums or threads to discuss. What would be the relevance of threads then??

Also, people don't have to pay anything to get a patch here.Reviews are generally to help people investing their money on a better and right kind of product.

http://downloads.soccergaming.com/viewcomments.php?id=00009404 Something like that is a better example. Reviews over here would have to be longer.

Anyway for your thread it should be used for bugs and beta testing. You then can go to the download thread to read reviews (not from the panel of judges). This would be the ideal situation but for some reason people just don't do this.

As for the "reviewers", we hopefully will get the right people who actually test the patches and not just say rubbish. Of course if anyone else wants to review the patch, it would be good if they posted it in the download center.

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
Request permission to approach the bench,

I think the Idea's a good one. I just spent god knows how long reading through very long threads (which by the way do not need to have every release and version of each patch in them) to try and get an idea as to which patch would suit me best.

In the end I found very little that was helpful and still had to download them all.

If there were a nice simple review letting me, the downloader, know that this particular patch was great for beginners.. or offered a far easier batting experience... or really does a good job at increasing the swing... etc. than I feel this can do nothing but help.

You are the perfect example of what this thread is about. I would much rather have people posting reviews freely but it just hasn't been happening.
Maybe by having reviewers people will follow their lead. If not, we have reviews of each patch.

cricket doctor said:
This is indeed an ideal solution.
Also providing enough space to let peoples give their reviews in the Download Center itself would be cool.

Its a bit hard to do this with the descriptions of the AI patches and I wouldn't want us to be changing our download format as that would be far too time consuming.
But I'm sure people won't mind scrolling down to read reviews.

Last edited:
There is also an issue regarding the criterion by which a reviewer is appointed and how long each patch should be tested. It was brought up by a member in the PlanetCricket chatroom that: What if for example a patch maker has purposely made it hard for lofted shots to be played in the first few overs of a test match and the reviewer only tests the patch for 4-5 overs - and gives it a negative review because lofted shots cannot be played easily.
This will probably leave an impression that lofted shots are difficult to play, so maybe it is a good idea that the patch shouldn't be downloaded based on this... (which wouldn't be a good thing!)

It would probably be a better idea that there is a specific amount of time that each patch would be tested - based on the length of each type of match. Obviously, testing a patch for 20 over matches would be a shorter testing period than for say a test match. If all patch reviewers keep to the same standards, then the world will go around nicer.

What do we all think everyone?

Last edited:
Basically I had thought of such an idea for a few reasons.

-->Firstly guests visiting dload center and/or new members visiting the place,wouldnt have any idea on which AI patch to choose among a whole load,so this might help them.

-->Secondly those members who are quite new to AI patching struggle to get good reviews on what they are doing wrong.So a review panel help's these AI makers get a better idea on which areas they could improve.

-->Thirdly if the review panel feel that two patches(made by different people) are behaving similarly,they could deal with the matter in a transparent manner rather than it being a public matter.So the downloader also gets the satisfaction that the patch offer's something unique and different.

So,to sum it up,I had advised this idea(or something similar),in one of the threads.

As for the comment made by Cricket doctor and duffarama about the length of testing done by a review member,it is expected clearly that the review member posts what he played,the kind of conditions he played it on etc,so it differs from a member reviewing the patch,it has to be done in a proffesional manner,so that a downloader has a clear idea on what the patch has to offer.(Eg-Every patchmaker seems to post the same features,so it gets confusing).

It is a good idea because when people download the patches they just say thanx,Good work and all those type of thingz atleast they should give a small review of about 5-6 linez...

Admins and some senior members to decide the panel of judges for each stream of Patch. Also why judges for only AI, why not all streams??

das_vicky said:
Admins and some senior members to decide the panel of judges for each stream of Patch. Also why judges for only AI, why not all streams??

im guessing because members can see from screenshots re bats and kits where as AI cant be seen before downloading and testing

Spot on Waugh plus what would the reviewer say on the graphic downloads? Great bat, it looks great in the game, love the colours...... That is just pointless as the member knows what he is getting and of course people will have different opinions on graphics.
If a member wants the Channel 9 tv graphic he just goes to the download center looks at the screenshot, if he likes it he will download it if not off to another patch.
For AI patches you can't just do that, you would have to download the patch to actually know if you like it or not.

As for who picks the judges, cricket doctor will be one cause he makes AI patchers. Fellow AI patch makers are welcome to join the review team and also pick who they think would be right. And of course admin and senior members will judge.

Users who are viewing this thread