Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

I know. If @blockerdave's question was for me it cost ?350 (built by me with "help").

well it was for madman because he was saying how good an experience he was getting, but good to know yours too.

it's largely moot because i don't really have the moolah for doing this right now, and with a baby on the way that's not likely to change any time soon... but just interested because it's something i might consider in the future.

@Madman - out of interest, how much did it cost to build your PC?
Just under ?1000 excluding the peripherals like speakers/mouse/keyboard etc.

I'd saved up for a while and had plenty to play with, ended up convincing myself to go for a ?390 GPU (GTX 780 SC ACX) which was a bit naughty as well as a 120GB SSD... You don't have to spend anywhere near that to get quality gaming performance though, you can play a lot of games at 1080p on at or near their highest settings on a ?400-500 rig.

Just under ?1000 excluding the peripherals like speakers/mouse/keyboard etc.

I'd saved up for a while and had plenty to play with, ended up convincing myself to go for a ?390 GPU (GTX 780 SC ACX) which was a bit naughty as well as a 120GB SSD... You don't have to spend anywhere near that to get quality gaming performance though, you can play a lot of games at 1080p on at or near their highest settings on a ?400-500 rig.

You guys speaking about spending in ? is kinda scary to me as the exchange rate from South African Rands to Pounds is currently 17.85. Which means, when I got my PC (which wasn't top of the range) it cost me, at the current exchange rate, about ?290... and I'm running the game on full gfx settings.

Also note I bought this PC a few years back.

From the Steam store page;

Minimum:
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00Ghz/AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor 3.01Ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon HD 6670 or NVIDIA Geforce GT520 with Min 1GB Memory
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Additional Notes: Controller Required

I might be in luck! Only potential problem is probs the biggest (graphics card). I will have gone full circle if I get game for pc. The only reason I bought a 360 all those years ago was because my (then) pc wasn't up to the job specwise and you knew that the 360 console would be up for playing any 360 game that was released. Knowing that the lads playing cricket games on pc could mod them up to their hearts content.

I might be in luck! Only potential problem is probs the biggest (graphics card). I will have gone full circle if I get game for pc. The only reason I bought a 360 all those years ago was because my (then) pc wasn't up to the job specwise and you knew that the 360 console would be up for playing any 360 game that was released. Knowing that the lads playing cricket games on pc could mod them up to their hearts content.
Well you can try the CA nets beta - I'm not sure how much of an indication that would give for full game performance but you would know that if it stutters in the nets then it probably wouldn't be smooth in matches.

The PC version is where it's at though definitely - take a look through the mod screenshots thread, some really nice stuff has been made already. Win's bat pack replaces every default bat with an accurate real life model, there are Matt and Alberts' high quality emblem packs, kits, stumps, kits/sponsors... The game looks fantastic with these installed and hopefully soon we'll have more extensive modding capabilities :).

Unless there are console exclusive titles you're very much interested in, I seriously recommend jacking in console gaming and investing in a nice GPU. Not missed my 360 at all since January, not even powered it up since I built this PC.

Well you can try the CA nets beta - I'm not sure how much of an indication that would give for full game performance but you would know that if it stutters in the nets then it probably wouldn't be smooth in matches.

The PC version is where it's at though definitely - take a look through the mod screenshots thread, some really nice stuff has been made already. Win's bat pack replaces every default bat with an accurate real life model, there are Matt and Alberts' high quality emblem packs, kits, stumps, kits/sponsors... The game looks fantastic with these installed and hopefully soon we'll have more extensive modding capabilities :).

Unless there are console exclusive titles you're very much interested in, I seriously recommend jacking in console gaming and investing in a nice GPU. Not missed my 360 at all since January, not even powered it up since I built this PC.

Downloading the nets beta sounds a canny way of determining if my lappie is beefy enough to play the game.....but that old chestnut crops up about needing a flight stick or compatible hand pad is required to play the game.
:noway

Downloading the nets beta sounds a canny way of determining if my lappie is beefy enough to play the game.....but that old chestnut crops up about needing a flight stick or compatible hand pad is required to play the game.
:noway
If you have a wired 360 controller then you can use that with your PC, that's what I do. There are receivers for using wireless ones too but I don't know how much they cost.

If you have a wired 360 controller then you can use that with your PC, that's what I do. There are receivers for using wireless ones too but I don't know how much they cost.

????? does the wired 360 controller fit modern pc's? I presume they do as you use yours.

So glad I ditched the console in time for playing this game - smooth 60fps, much better graphics, mods... No performance/saving issues, more frequent version updates...

You have to expect any game at this stage of the generation to not perform too well, it's running on 2006/7 hardware... I'd say the 'next generation' will end up going the same way, but it already seems to be there! Games running at 720p or 30fps at the console's launch is pathetic, and even the ones which do achieve 1080p/60fps have much worse graphics than the PC, as well as not having mod support.

The hardware in the PS4/Xbox One is garbage by today's standards, the XB1 in particular.

Consoles... Never again!

#pcmasterrace

While much of what you say is true in a perfect world there are 3 major issues:

1) Cost - Building a high spec top of the line PC is not cheap. Then you would have to upgraed it almost continuosly (at least every couple of years) to keep it top of the line - after all the whole point is that you can play the best and newest games at their optimum - is not cheap either. A console will stay "top of the line" for the entirety of that generation be able to run every game at full setting; because the software is made for the hardware and not vice-versa

2) Yarrr me hearties - what was the figure Ross mentioned for pirate DBC14 PC versions vs genuine? From memory it was something in the order of 100 to 1. While piracy does exist on consoles it is less prevalent by several orders of magnitude to the issues faced by PC and the gap is likely to increase with the Ps4/Xbone generation. On a commercail basis developers may find the case for programming solely for consoles compelling. or alternatively PC could find itself with inferior versions (FIFA) or delayed releases (DBC14 et al)

And you've obviously touched on the exclusives aspect with more and more AAA being released as console exclusives. Naughty Dog games alone are enough to make me buy playstations.

Pull and Cut Shots

Patch 2 has really made batting easy and bowling more competitive... The one thing i dont understand is before Patch 2, pull shots and cut shots used to go on ground, but now after the Patch 2, I havent had a single moment where I could play a ground pull shot... no matter how the timing is. And tbh most of dismissals are by playing pull shots... can someone please help me on that... I'll appreciate. Thanks! :)

1) Cost - Building a high spec top of the line PC is not cheap. Then you would have to upgraed it almost continuosly (at least every couple of years) to keep it top of the line - after all the whole point is that you can play the best and newest games at their optimum - is not cheap either. A console will stay "top of the line" for the entirety of that generation be able to run every game at full setting; because the software is made for the hardware and not vice-versa
In the long term, PC gaming is likely to actually work out cheaper than console gaming over the same period of time due to the significant price difference in the games. Also, it's actually possible to build a PC with better specs than both consoles for around the same price as them anyway.

There is no need to continuously upgrade everything... People seem to have this idea that every 2 or 3 years your PC becomes obsolete unless you upgrade everything - not true, as I said before the only reasons for me to upgrade are for if I wanted to go 1440p/4K/multi-monitor or 120Hz... If I stay at 1080p then my current rig will be more than capable of offering superior graphics and performance to the PS4/XB1 for it's entire generation with no upgrades.

A console will stay "top of the line" for the entirety of that generation be able to run every game at full setting;
Consoles really don't run 'every game at full setting'... They tone everything down until the framerate is acceptable - BF4 on PS4 looks about the same as the PC version does on low to medium settings and a few years ago BF3 on 360/PS3 looked so bad that you couldn't even make the PC version look like that on minimum settings. Not exactly what I'd call 'top of the line'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say I could see any tearing that effected gameplay outcomes in those videos. I understand it is unsightly but I have to prioritise gameplay issues first/graphical second.

Ross

I understand that you have priorities but i would definitely challenge your response and feel that this should at least be considered to be looked at down the line.

There is without a doubt frame rate issues that has come into play after patch 2. I immediatley noticed it and kept playing the game. Actually got use to it and tried to ignore it. Didn't play the game for about a week and was then again immediatley frustrated with it when i turned it back on.

Personally it has had an outcome on how i percieve and enjoy the gameplay.

Again, before i get slaughtered, i understand that there are bigger issues to sort, but the video posted shows lag issues, i have running on broadcast and then it even gets worse.

Bottom line is that there is an issue, the reasons must have something to do with the release of P2 and i do believe it needs at least a little bit of attention.

I for one really appreciate the changes in the second patch, i prefer them but it has come at a cost.

NOT the end of the world, but a cost.

Regards

B

Users who are viewing this thread