PC MutliPlayer Match Up Thread

that's probably the case, but i think i'll just avoid people using custom fields from now on where possible.

That sounds like you (one of the best players currently playing the game, if not the best) are blacklisting me for setting my field in a cricket game?

earlsstandardfield.jpg
earlsstandardfieldradar.jpg

That's the field I bowl to by default (I may modify it depending on where my opponent is scoring, particularly once the fielding restriction are over). I don't understand how it's any different (or seemingly in your opinion, "worse" or "unfair") than the ring field which you bowl to? The sole justification seems to be that the ring field is fine because it is included in the defaults?

Erratic bowling, random wide line, 3 fast bowlers, and custom fields.

You use the word "erratic" which makes it sound haphazard (like I'm not intending to put the ball there). I'd use "varied". If you watching Twenty20 cricket then the bowler is very unlikely to keep bowling in a consistent manner - they have to keep varying their line, length and speed as otherwise they'll get hit (as I would if I bowled consistently).

What is "random wideline"? Either you're consistently bowling wide outside off stump or you aren't? Personally my definition of wideline is bowling wide of off stump with a packed offside field. However, I don't do either. I do bowl the occasional ball wide, but I bowl a lot hitting the stumps.

I'm not going query the three fast bowlers and custom field, but I don't see how that's a problem.

Last edited:
Its a combination of all the things earl. But your custom field is the route of all problems. It makes scoring ground shots almost impossible combined with your fast bowlers and erratic bowling style.

3 fast bowlers of aus, that field and the randomness of where you put the bowling cursor, (very wide as soon as i scored a boundary) combined with your excellent ability to hit the execution meter 100% made the game no fun at all.

Whilst you should be applauded for the latter, the other three make it impossible to score runs when in effect the random length and width should be easy to score off. When its coming down at 95-100mph, and you know where ever you hit it unless its perfect meter there is a strong chance of a catch.

This is often not the case with the default field, and here in lies the problem.

I've already explained it, no point keep going over it. You, and I'm sure others will think there's nothing wrong with that so its fine. Maybe its my problem, but i don't get any enjoyment playing like that.

Its fine though man you carry on. :)

If you still want that win i feel like i owe you just say. ;)

3 fast bowlers of aus
I could go and have a very similar attack with SA and if/when Harmison is corrected then England will have two available. Are you going to start saying you won't play people who pick three fast bowlers next?

that field
You still haven't told me what's so different about my field. Most of the position in that field are echoed in your ring field except mid on & off are up and the two boundary riders are behind square on the leg side. I've stopped using the short cover in all my games as agreed.

The randomness of where you put the bowling cursor (very wide as soon as i scored a boundary)
It's not random - it's varied. I know exactly where I want to put the cursor - I just don't put it in the same place every ball and I try not to give you any clues with the cursor prior to delivery.

The "very wide as soon as I hit a boundary" bit is BS - a lot of your boundaries were on the legside, so of course I'm going consider bowling it wider to try and catch the edge if you play the same shot. However, I did not do it all the time - I'd equally vary the length or the delivery or bowl it into your legs. (I think the only time I got wided that match was down the legside)

combined with your excellent ability to hit the execution meter 100%
How do you know where I'm hitting the execution meter? I can promise you, a lot of my balls were in the light green and even the top of the dark green.

made the game no fun at all.

Personally I find being challenged enjoyable as long as they don't contravene the spirit of the game. In my opinion "wideline", the 9 close fielders, 9 fielders on the ropes (not played a no field restrictions game so not faced that one) and (in it's current over powered state) short cover, all do this. I can't see how I bowl now does.

Please explain it to me as I just don't get it. If it's not me coming down the wicket too much while I'm batting then it's my field which is a problem. If it's not my field, it's my fast bowlers. If it's not my fast bowlers, then it's me varying my deliveries too much and so on...

The only thing I've ever complained about with your tactics are the wideline overs and we've drawn a line under that.

Whilst you should be applauded for the latter, the other three make it impossible to score runs when in effect the random length and width should be easy to score off.

How should they be? IRL, if you're a batsmen with split-seconds to react and are aware that there are half a dozen different places and deliveries the bowler could be about to send down, how easy is that to score off when the onus is on you to score due to the over quota?

When its coming down at 95-100mph, and you know where ever you hit it unless its perfect meter there is a strong chance of a catch.

Without the banned short cover you could hit it through the large gap in the covers or similarly through midwicket - if you time it well enough it'll go for four, otherwise it's at least a single.
Then there is behind square, where I have no fielders protecting. (Indeed, you scored quite a few runs to those parts of the ground.)
There is also the gap between cover and point (I threaded it through the even smaller gap of cover point and point in your field.)

This is often not the case with the default field, and here in lies the problem.

I disagree - with the ring field with you bowling consistently outside off stump it was very difficult to score off. It was only when you pitched it fractionally closer to my legs that I was able to play the cover and on drives. Otherwise I was left picking up ones and twos through the point/cover point gap when I timed it.

If you still want that win i feel like i owe you just say.
I feel you owe me treating me as a decent player, not seemingly as some kind of glitcher to be avoided.

Last edited:
I am amazed that you lot are actually trying to play by made up rules. On ps3 its a no holds barred, barbaric affair.
People use all types of tactics and try to exploit the game but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I have yet to be completely helpless to any one specific strategy as there is always a counter attack. I say just play the game as it is presented. no rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am amazed that you lot are actually trying to play by made up rules. On ps3 its a no holds barred, barbaric affair.
People use all types of tactics and try to exploit the game but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I have yet to be completely helpless to any one specific strategy as there is always a counter attack. I say just play the game as it is presented. no rules.

Is there a big difference between playing the pc and playing online?
I mean in how you play.

hi, would be up for an online match. wanna test the online play, havent tried it yet, ive added a few of u guys on my thingy. my nick is m4stermind, any1 feel free to add me!

I agree. Unless there's a serious glitch or advantage I'm the live and let live type.

I just read Alliozs post regarding online Xbox360 games. That coupled with what I've read in other posts re online matches it seems more like war than a fun game out there.:D

Just played somebody called MCC online, had a really good game 20/20 - I batted first and made 72 all out after 14 overs, he started off at a good pace and knocked me about first over or so, then I picked up a few too wickets, prob due to him trying to hit the total off quick! I had him at 50 for 8 at one stage after some good bowling from fred and anderson, trouble was I used all my overs up with them and thought i'd try something different with spin and put peteirsen in and he got knocked about :laugh, anyway he ended up winning after knockin up 74/8 after 10 overs or so. Well played mate if you come on here ;)

Just played somebody called MCC online, had a really good game 20/20 - I batted first and made 72 all out after 14 overs, he started off at a good pace and knocked me about first over or so, then I picked up a few too wickets, prob due to him trying to hit the total off quick! I had him at 50 for 8 at one stage after some good bowling from fred and anderson, trouble was I used all my overs up with them and thought i'd try something different with spin and put peteirsen in and he got knocked about :laugh, anyway he ended up winning after knockin up 74/8 after 10 overs or so. Well played mate if you come on here ;)

That's strange I went online but couldn't see any games, does it show you any games on the server or only games that you can play?

Bit of a techie question here and maybe an obvious answer but I have the technical insights of your average watermelon so be kind! Does it make a difference who is hosting the game in terms of lag? Is it advantageous for the person with the faster connection to be hosting or does that not come into it as its all down to the Codemaster server? Anyway had an enjoyable game with our friend BFL. I don't think he is a member here but he plays fair and well. I was happy with my bowling having restricted him to 57 all out after 11.5 overs. he 's a good batter too so I was well chuffed. Mixed it up and took some good wickets. However my batting lets me down. I need to build an innings rather than going smash from ball one...its instinct man! Anyway I won't embarrass myself telling you my score but if you had had three hands it would have been just enough to keep count on!:D

Users who are viewing this thread