PC vs Mac

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Meh. I'm a Mac, we don't care for deep understanding of Operating Systems, we believe in style over substance and I'm proud of that fact.
I don't care about whether you care about a deeper understanding of operating systems or not. I was just pointing out that you were wrong when you made the silly claim that OSX only runs 2 programs when it is idle--that's just incorrect.

Couldn't care if I could buy a Windows Laptop with twice as much power, ram, graphics etc for the price I paid for my Macbook Pro, as it don't need that much. The system suits me perfectly, everything I need to do is catered for, and it looks sexy. What more could you want?
Seems the question is directed towards me/others, not you. Personally I'd want as much value as I could get for my money, the ability to use a real IDE such as Visual Studio and the choice to upgrade my machine as much as I desire. Obviously you don't want to do any of these, so you should really have ended your statement with "What more could I want?" As I have said earlier, I don't care what you want in your computer and if you prefer Macs or Windows. But don't try to enforce your opinion as fact and claim that everyone would be better off with a Mac...

As for the Blackberry comment, eugh. My Dad's got one of the newer Blackberries and I hate it. The GUI is horribly laid out, frustratingly complicated to use and generally pretty damn ugly; and he's changed his theme and layout. The iPhone's GUI is brilliant. It's the best experience I've ever had with a touch screen phone, and it does everything i need a phone to do, and it does it brilliantly, quickly and stylishly. Again, what more could you want?
Same thing here. Obviously you don't look for an advanced feature-set when it comes to your technological devices--which is totally your decision. I have an iPhone and although I love it, that does not mean I will refrain from pointing out features I would like to have. Here are a few:

1. The battery life sucks balls. My BlackBerry 8310 could go 3-4 days on a single charge. The iPhone barely survives one day.
2. With a BB, I could purchase an extra battery and keep it charged as insurance; with an iPhone I can't access the battery compartment.
3. I'm not a baby. I want to be able to install any program I want on my iPhone without it having to go through Apple's certification process. I paid for my phone and reserve the right to screw it up as much as I want to.
4. I want to be able to run more than one app at a time without relying on the application to save its state.
5. I want the ability to have multiple profiles with customizable ringtones, ring volumes, etc. This was a feature in my BlackBerry and nearly every other mobile phone I've owned. In fact, I searched for the feature for about 15 minutes on my iPhone before I googled it and realized there was only a silent/non-silent toggle switch.

These are just a few I thought of off the top of my head. There are plenty of other examples that I run into on a day-to-day basis. This is not to say I do not like using my iPhone. However, I'd be lying if I said it was perfect for me.

sohum added 1 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

...and it makes me look a heck of a lot cooler using it than using an Alienware or a Dell......
Hehe.... "cool" is what you guys call it these days. :p

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
The stuff about running 2 programmes at once was something I read on the net a little while back and saw a screenshot showing it. Proven wrong. Happy to admit it.

But don't try to enforce your opinion as fact and claim that everyone would be better off with a Mac...

Where have I done this? I've not once stated everyone would be better off with a Mac. I couldn't care less what everyone else has. I like the Mac, as I've stated, and if you don't then that's fine, I'm not going to try and force anything on anyone.

The 'what more could you want?' comments were mainly sarcastic, rhetorical questions that were more relating to my personal needs. It was not intended to come across as asking what more anyone else could want, just a rhetorical question aimed at me; it's just a colloquial phrase/quirk I like to use. Think you've just misunderstood me there.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hmm, I just think if you have a mac, you want something that just works and that you don't have to deal with a hundred times. So that was why I bought one, and so far. It is perfect, it barely ever crashes, and you only get the loading icon thingy on the mouse if your running a heckload of apps at once or using heavy software. For basic web use its perfectly fine. I don't need anymore power, it is all here. And the multi - touch is pretty sexy tbh.

Mac's aren't all really THAT expensive, they are going down. Since the friggin price of the two and a half grand macbooks late '08. Apple have halfed that price. Which I reckon is pretty damn impressive. You just get what you pay for with a mac, power, easyniss, sexyiness. :D

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Hmm, I just think if you have a mac, you want something that just works and that you don't have to deal with a hundred times. So that was why I bought one, and so far. It is perfect, it barely ever crashes, and you only get the loading icon thingy on the mouse if your running a heckload of apps at once or using heavy software. For basic web use its perfectly fine. I don't need anymore power, it is all here. And the multi - touch is pretty sexy tbh.
It seems like a horrible waste of money to buy such a powerful machine for basic web use. It's kinda similar to buying an expensive sports car and trying to drive it in Mumbai.

Mac's aren't all really THAT expensive, they are going down. Since the friggin price of the two and a half grand macbooks late '08. Apple have halfed that price. Which I reckon is pretty damn impressive. You just get what you pay for with a mac, power, easyniss, sexyiness. :D
The thing is, everyone else has more than halfed their price. I bought an HP laptop for around $1500 in 2005. The laptop in the same relative spec range (as in medium-spec'd) now costs about $500. The "halving price" statement would only be valid if all other technology prices stayed constant!

--

Oh, and for those who think Apple hardware is vastly superior, read up on Foxconn. These guys manufacture hardware for all the big players, including Apple (since 1986), Intel, Dell, HP, Motorola, Nokia, Palm, etc.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
It seems like a horrible waste of money to buy such a powerful machine for basic web use. It's kinda similar to buying an expensive sports car and trying to drive it in Mumbai.

I never said I only use it for basic web use. I said when using it for basic web use and chatting with friends it is a breeze. I actually do a bit of video and image editing. (Write ups ect.) The mac still handles them wonderfully. Plus you say that the point about the hardware quality of a mac is bs. Well to be quite frank, I have one in my hands and it seems pretty damn well manufactured to me. So for myself, I am the best judge. Maybe not so for others.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I never said I only use it for basic web use. I said when using it for basic web use and chatting with friends it is a breeze. I actually do a bit of video and image editing. (Write ups ect.) The mac still handles them wonderfully.
Saying that it is a breeze for basic web use and chatting with friends is not a major reason to buy a Mac. Even a netbook can handle that much without issues. If people have trouble doing basic web use and chatting with friends on a Window machine, it isn't the computer that is at fault, it's the person sitting in front of it!

Plus you say that the point about the hardware quality of a mac is bs. Well to be quite frank, I have one in my hands and it seems pretty damn well manufactured to me. So for myself, I am the best judge. Maybe not so for others.
I'm talking about the hardware, not the finishing. It's no myth that Apple's product finishing is very slick. Many Apple users think that the guts of their computer are somehow better than the guts of a PC, because they paid more for it. The fact is that down the line it is all manufactured by the same company--Foxconn. The reason that Apple charges more for it is because they probably have exclusivity contracts with Foxconn so that they don't go and manufacture that hardware for other people. For example, the 27-inch I-PS panel that is on the new iMac. In industry right now, there are no other 27-inch panels available. There are 24, 26, 28, 30, etc. available. Whoever Apple paid to manufacture that display, they probably signed an exclusivity agreement so that the manufacturer wouldn't turn around and begin creating 27-inch displays for other vendors.

But the bottom line is that the manufacturer of the components is the same company that makes components for all the major PC vendors--so the idea that you're getting better components is a little far-fetched.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I never said I only use it for basic web use. I said when using it for basic web use and chatting with friends it is a breeze. I actually do a bit of video and image editing. (Write ups ect.) The mac still handles them wonderfully. Plus you say that the point about the hardware quality of a mac is bs. Well to be quite frank, I have one in my hands and it seems pretty damn well manufactured to me. So for myself, I am the best judge. Maybe not so for others.

Even a celeron based 8 years old computer can handle these tasks smoothly. :p

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Saying that it is a breeze for basic web use and chatting with friends is not a major reason to buy a Mac. Even a netbook can handle that much without issues. If people have trouble doing basic web use and chatting with friends on a Window machine, it isn't the computer that is at fault, it's the person sitting in front of it!

I never said friggin using the computer for basic web use and chatting with friends as a major selling point. Just something that it does well along with more powerful and heavy apps. As I said before, I didn't just buy this computer for basic web use and chatting with friends... Honestly. picky much?:sarcasm

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I hate Mac. My computer is a beast (literally called that btw) and it does everything fine. I can do a million things at once (Eg. iTunes, MSN, Firefox, Football Manager, Photoshop, Windows Movie maker) and it runs smooth.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I never said friggin using the computer for basic web use and chatting with friends as a major selling point. Just something that it does well along with more powerful and heavy apps. As I said before, I didn't just buy this computer for basic web use and chatting with friends... Honestly. picky much?:sarcasm
Yep, I'm picky. Your original post used the web use comment to paint the Mac system positively as being so versatile that they could handle everything from basic web use to powerful applications. But any run-of-the-mill computer can handle basic web use so if one's using a computer for basic web-use they are better off getting a cheap Linux netbook! But it's your money so I don't give a hoot about what you do with--that doesn't mean I will point out where I think you spent too much. :)

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
I've never used a Mac but it sounds like a scam to me.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
bout to get a new lap top...so which 1 should i get..

i like mac, cuz it looks kool other then that...

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Yep, I'm picky. Your original post used the web use comment to paint the Mac system positively as being so versatile that they could handle everything from basic web use to powerful applications. But any run-of-the-mill computer can handle basic web use so if one's using a computer for basic web-use they are better off getting a cheap Linux netbook! But it's your money so I don't give a hoot about what you do with--that doesn't mean I will point out where I think you spent too much. :)

Sure if your main want with a computer is to just surf the web and chat with friends. A cheap netbook would be fine, but if you want to be more versatile, a mac would be great. That is just my opinion.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Sure if your main want with a computer is to just surf the web and chat with friends. A cheap netbook would be fine, but if you want to be more versatile, a mac would be great. That is just my opinion.
This applies to any powerful computer, regardless of Macs or PC's. Powerful computers bring incremental executional capabilities--meaning that on a more powerful machine you don't lose the abilities of a less powerful machine.

So basically, getting a powerful PC would be just as versatile. It's not like the Mac is doing something spectacularly versatile by allowing mundane web-browsing tasks. That's like saying, "The Mac is cool because it has a USB port." All computers have USB ports but that does not improve the versatility of the system one bit.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
This applies to any powerful computer, regardless of Macs or PC's. Powerful computers bring incremental executional capabilities--meaning that on a more powerful machine you don't lose the abilities of a less powerful machine.

So basically, getting a powerful PC would be just as versatile. It's not like the Mac is doing something spectacularly versatile by allowing mundane web-browsing tasks. That's like saying, "The Mac is cool because it has a USB port." All computers have USB ports but that does not improve the versatility of the system one bit.

Jesus, can't you get one man's opinion. I said if you want to do more stuff and have a more versatile machine, I would go for mac. It is just my opinion....

Users who are viewing this thread