PC vs Mac

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
BUMP here, I laughed my ass off reading this. :laugh

DailyTech - Apple's Jobs Says Flash Crashes Macs; No Flash for iPad, iPhone Planned

Granted Flash is not the best at managing resources, but still its one of the most widely used format in the web today.

Don't Macs just work? :p
That article simply reiterates what we already know about Jobs and Apple--they are averse to real competition for their products. This is why OS-X runs only on Mac hardware, why the iPhone system is a closed software platform, etc. With real competition competitors could undercut them and produce superior, possibly not as good looking and well-integrated, devices for cheaper prices.

However, some of the claims he makes here are ludicrous. The iMac forced the death of the floppy? That has to be one of the strangest claims I've heard in my life. How does the floppy disk being not included in a niche computer market dictate the rest of the industry's trends. The reality is that floppies were usurped by higher capacity storage--starting with the ZipDrive and JazDrive back in the day--moving on to CDs. Similarly, CDs were knocked out by DVDs as a form of distributing digital video. Remember VCDs? They held their own for a while.

Apple has also made a decision to ignore the Blu-Ray media format. Perhaps when the next generation media format comes out, Jobs will claim this as something achieved by Apple. :doh

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
That article simply reiterates what we already know about Jobs and Apple--they are averse to real competition for their products. This is why OS-X runs only on Mac hardware, why the iPhone system is a closed software platform, etc. With real competition competitors could undercut them and produce superior, possibly not as good looking and well-integrated, devices for cheaper prices.

However, some of the claims he makes here are ludicrous. The iMac forced the death of the floppy? That has to be one of the strangest claims I've heard in my life. How does the floppy disk being not included in a niche computer market dictate the rest of the industry's trends. The reality is that floppies were usurped by higher capacity storage--starting with the ZipDrive and JazDrive back in the day--moving on to CDs. Similarly, CDs were knocked out by DVDs as a form of distributing digital video. Remember VCDs? They held their own for a while.

Apple has also made a decision to ignore the Blu-Ray media format. Perhaps when the next generation media format comes out, Jobs will claim this as something achieved by Apple. :doh
The article also says that 80% of music last year was distributed on CD's. Who does Jobs think he is fooling?

Still there will be people who believe him. :doh Reading it gave me a good laugh! :laugh

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
From what the article says, they've only acknowledged the problem now and have called back those units (They disguised the shortage of units on market as "huge demand" when in fact they had stopped production for something like a month). What I'm saying is, that when some issues are found in other PC's, of course they are also fixed / replaced, but that is publicly known as "sub-standard" OEM parts, and classified as inferior. I'm just trying to point out that all OEM's are same, and yes, Mac's are nowadays nothing much more than PC's built by Apple and with OSX installed.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Ordered a Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 320GB of HDD and 2GB of Ram - $499 refurbished. I'm excited :D. Our 11 year old desktop finally bit the dust and this is a pretty good computer for the price. Wanted something reliable to last me through college applications and such that are coming up. Our Vaio, which I love, is being sent in for repair tonight unfortunately. It's just falling apart, I have no idea why as it has been on a desk/couch/coffee table for the 12 months i've owned it.

They always seem to break down JUST after the warranty ends!

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Got this baby today and man, it is freaking amazing! So damn smooth.

And Mac users are right, everything 'just works'. Picked up my entire photo library from the external HD, picked up faces quickly, everything is done quietly and quickly on its own. Amazing little machine!

For 2gigs of ram I can run lots of applications too, currently have 12 safari tabs, Word, youtube paused and itunes playing and it's sooo smooth. Only had one beachball so far and that was for installing the printer software.

I'm a happy camper! :D

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
And the cycle begins again........

Slightly OT, but I ordered a VAIO Y Series earlier this week. I almost dropped $2800 on a VAIO Z Series, but decided I didn't make enough to justify that purchase. Maybe in a year or so, though, when SSD's become cheap and the norm. But fitting a Core i5/i7 into a < 4lbs with an optical drive while taking care of heat dissipation = brilliant. Just wish they had a normal HDD option, as that would have cut the price significantly.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
The Z is brilliant. Multiple SSDs in a laptop? Crazy. iX processors as well.

Apple needs to step it up in the notebook market. Computers are great, don't get me wrong, but they are delaying waaay too long on the Arrendale chips. Would really like to see the MBPs bumped up to i5s at the very least. Probably won't update anything until the iPad release on the 3rd, though.

The Y looks like a good model. Specs?

Users who are viewing this thread