IPL Pepsi IPL UAE/INDIA 2014 Discussion {Play-Offs}

What had been the best of IPL 2014?

• Total voters
The moment his team RR loses it is fixed. KIU Great stuff:thumbs

----------

----------

RR should have atleast another superstar. I don't mind playing with good, talented young players, but you do need atleast a couple of superstars

It doesn't seemed to click for RR,they played well throughout the tournament but a bad performance in the end put them out.Well played MI,:clap:clap:clap,reminds me of their performance in the CL last year.

This season was the most exciting of all. Even till the penultimate match there were 2 teams gunning for the 4th spot. Not to mention a period where 4 teams were playing for the 3rd and 4th position very late in the tournament.

Terrific catches, terrific chases. This one had it all.

One thing that looked close to ugly was Tare running into Watson and shouting into his face after hitting that one six to win the match.... I mean come on!! This kiddo after just one six (yes it was a match winning six and emotions are running high since MI came out of nowhere to get into playoffs) has the guts to shout at Watson who is now a veteran. Watson didnt provoke him at all. Tare had just come in, and the six he hit was his first ball of the match.

He is completely fine to do his football stunts (taking his shift over his head and showing off his bare body), but that thing he did with Watson looked bad. The worrying thing is, if this is how the upcoming generation will react after such victories. Will most of the upcoming generation show such empty and useless bravado and that too against people who are much senior to them and who dont do anything to them?

----------

Its really very sad to see people undermine the achievement of cricketers they supposedly "love and follow" by calling foul-play and fixing. I know some idiots have fixed matches and events, and there have been dark moments but this is exactly where fans need to support the clean cricketers instead of questioning anything extraordinary.

Infact, the more extreme the result the harder it is to fix the game and come out unnoticed. To "script" today's insane run chase, you would have required almost a dozen cricketers to be involved in it. Death bowling and fielding have been terrible throughout the IPL. Nothing out of the ordinary that we saw in this game, except that MI batted like a team with nothing to lose and their shots came off today

I think as cricket lovers, at least we should exercise caution in calling someone a cheat. Because for every Salman Butt there are hundred other clean cricketers who would be heartbroken at being accused of selling out their team/country for money. Its unfair to the good guys

Can't agree more!:cheers

Hmmm .. I guess respect for "seniors" is a lost trait in cricket now. And it is both a good thing and a bad thing IMO

Bad thing because cricket has become less "gentlemanly" and cricketers have become more aggressive. But its also good because this attitude has resulted in some really fearless cricket being played. Sanju Samson taking on the world's best bowlers without any concern for reputation can be attributed to this trait. Ofcourse some guys go too far, and a lot of them play or have played for Mumbai Indians :P No offense MI fans

But it is all over and look forward for today's encounter at rainy Kolkata.

One thing that looked close to ugly was Tare running into Watson and shouting into his face after hitting that one six to win the match.... I mean come on!! This kiddo after just one six (yes it was a match winning six and emotions are running high since MI came out of nowhere to get into playoffs) has the guts to shout at Watson who is now a veteran. Watson didnt provoke him at all. Tare had just come in, and the six he hit was his first ball of the match.

He is completely fine to do his football stunts (taking his shift over his head and showing off his bare body), but that thing he did with Watson looked bad. The worrying thing is, if this is how the upcoming generation will react after such victories. Will most of the upcoming generation show such empty and useless bravado and that too against people who are much senior to them and who dont do anything to them?

For far too long cricket has been played by robotic "gentlemen" who were unrelatable and merely created by the media as role models for kids for the sole purpose of tearing them down when they do go wrong, glad we've got away from that, now we have real people, people who we can relate to, characters who are neither black or white, but grey.

For far too long cricket has been played by robotic "gentlemen" who were unrelatable and merely created by the media as good characters so when the chance came they could tear them down, glad we've got away from that, now we have real people, people who we can relate to, characters who are neither black or white, but grey.

That's a bit much lol

I believe that the niceness of guys like Sachin, Dravid, Kumble etc was extremely genuine and intrinsic, and not just an image projected by the media.

Also, cricket has had plenty of high profile bad boys in the past times. Infact some of the best sledging incidents are from the bygone eras

That's a bit much lol

I believe that the niceness of guys like Sachin, Dravid, Kumble etc was extremely genuine and intrinsic, and not just an image projected by the media.

Also, cricket has had plenty of high profile bad boys in the past times. Infact some of the best sledging incidents are from the bygone eras

Like how I exaggerated that very line to make a point, the goodness and gentlemen nature of the likes of Sachin, Dravid, Kumble etc. however genuine were exaggerated by the media for the sole purpose of tearing them down when the time did come, the inevitable time where the man who could do no wrong almighty tweaks up.

And while cricket has had it's high profile bad boys, most of them have been perceived by fans as villains, kinda like Sai has perceived Tare in that very incident.

Last edited:
Like how I exaggerated that very line to make a point, the goodness and gentlemen nature of the likes of Sachin, Dravid, Kumble etc. however genuine were exaggerated by the media for the sole purpose of tearing them down when the time did come, the inevitable time where the man who could do no wrong almighty tweaks up.

And while cricket has had it's high profile bad boys, most of them have been perceived by fans as villains, kinda like Sai has perceived Tare in that very incident.

It doesn't matter what the media does/did. Point remains that Sachin and Dravid were genuinely non-aggressive-non-confrontational guys as this was very obviously by their behaviour both on and off the field. There are multiple anecdotes of fans meeting them and saying the nicest things about how humble, down-to-earth these guys are. It has nothing to do with the media and it doesn't make them robotic individuals in any manner. Their characters were as real as that of someone like Tare or Watson or Kohli.

My point is simply this:

Maybe there is a slight shift towards more aggressive, emotional behaviour on the cricket field but its nothing alarming. Cricket has always had a good mix of calm/gentlemanly players as well as aggressive/emoting players. Even today, for every Kohli/Gambhir we have a Dhoni/Rahane.

It doesn't matter what the media does/did. Point remains that Sachin and Dravid were genuinely non-aggressive-non-confrontational guys as this was very obviously by their behaviour both on and off the field. There are multiple anecdotes of fans meeting them and saying the nicest things about how humble, down-to-earth these guys are. It has nothing to do with the media and it doesn't make them robotic individuals in any manner. Their characters were as real as that of someone like Tare or Watson or Kohli.

My point is simply this:

Maybe there is a slight shift towards more aggressive, emotional behaviour on the cricket field but its nothing alarming. Cricket has always had a good mix of calm/gentlemanly players as well as aggressive/emoting players. Even today, for every Kohli/Gambhir we have a Dhoni/Rahane.

I think you've completely misunderstood my point about the likes of Dravid and Sachin, I never questioned their genuineness however robotic it might've been. :spy

My point is simply this:

While cricket has always had a good mix of calm/gentlemanly players as well as aggressive/emoting players, the aggressive/emoting players have always been unfairly vilified, and continue to be in the form of Kohli and Gambhir.

Users who are viewing this thread