Playing behind square?How do you do it?

kills999

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well i have been playing the demo with extender for a long time now and i still haven't figured out how do i play shots behind square on both off and leg side.(the batsman aiming reticule moves only 180 degree not the whole 360)

Balls going down leg side for example can only be flicked towards mid wicket or square leg(Ugly looking flicks aren't they?), impossible to play those really fine wristy flicks towards fine leg.

Also the square cut, when I aim as square on the off side as i can and press either front foot or backfoot it plays a sort of drive which runs off the face towards slip and doesnt even carry.

Also its impossible to play the hook shot, short balls can only be pulled to mid wicket or square leg.

No hard slash over the slips either.

Have the codies just forgotten about all these shots?

To be honest, if you're a regular PC gamer it's worth considering the ?20 (Should be able to get it for a few quid less) investment and getting a 360 controller. All the multiformat titles now coming out on the PC seem to be tailored for the 360 controller layout,support it without any hassle which wasn't the case on my old controller on which I often had to do some remapping.

I bought one a month back to use on RaceDriver:GRID as my old Logitech Dual Action controller doesn't have any analogue trigger button which you need to act as the acceleration pedal. I've since use it on PES2009, GTAIV & now AC2009 without the slightest problem.

It is actually better pad than I expected and I think it's worth the outlay for the hassle it'll save you.

How odd, are you sure you're simply not pressing W and therefore are restricted to 180 degrees? I constantly sweep spinners behind square, and am often to tempted to hook. All the shots are there.

Well i have been playing the demo with extender for a long time now and i still haven't figured out how do i play shots behind square on both off and leg side.(the batsman aiming reticule moves only 180 degree not the whole 360)

Balls going down leg side for example can only be flicked towards mid wicket or square leg(Ugly looking flicks aren't they?), impossible to play those really fine wristy flicks towards fine leg.

Also the square cut, when I aim as square on the off side as i can and press either front foot or backfoot it plays a sort of drive which runs off the face towards slip and doesnt even carry.

Also its impossible to play the hook shot, short balls can only be pulled to mid wicket or square leg.

No hard slash over the slips either.

Have the codies just forgotten about all these shots?
For keyboard Use W+D for leg and W+A for off.
BTW, I use xbox360 pad too.

What gamepad are you using? i cant get mine to work!! :crying

I'm using joy2key once again, as have been forced too by BLIC2007 as well, where it maps your gamepad to keyboard controls.
Your gamepad will then work fine and you can choose to map it how you like.

Download xpadder and use the profile to assign your keys to the controller pad and buttons. My Saitek Cyborg pad works with Ashes 09 using this app.

Thats interesting to read that the Xbox 360 controller is the only one which is fully supported. I have been using a PS2 to USB controller since PES3 came out on the PC and I must say it has served me well. However it is not recognised on AC09 and I've been using xpadder or something which maps the keyboard keys.

The drawback about this is that it only allows 8 way set movements not great control especially when you are batting and trying to pick a precise gap in the field.

** Have I got this right - Can someone confirm if the xbox pad allows more than than the set 8 movements ie. 360 degree movement??

I have also noticed like EarlCG said that a lot of new games like PES2009 now seem to support the 360 pad so now may be the time to invest in one from Play.

** Have I got this right - Can someone confirm if the xbox pad allows more than than the set 8 movements ie. 360 degree movement??

I have also noticed like EarlCG said that a lot of new games like PES2009 now seem to support the 360 pad so now may be the time to invest in one from Play.

Yes. Full 360 degree control is present.

Any game which wants to pass the Games for Windows QA and is joypad compatible (Total War need not apply etc) MUST support the XBox 360 controller. Well coded games (Ashes 09 need not apply:p) even change the control display to mirror the XBox pad buttons!

I'm getting full 360 degree reticule with xbox controller but cant get any force feedback vibration. Is force feedback actually supported by the game?

Users who are viewing this thread