Playing games in windowed mode

P

pcfan123

Is there a way to force a game to run in a windowed mode?

When I saw you had replied I knew it would be useless and I was right.

Right click on the shortcut. Go to Properties, and in the "Target" tab add "-window" after the double-quotes. Works for most of the games.

Tried that, it said Target not valid.

Game is SId Meiers Pirates btw

Or use a software called 3dAnalyser. Apparently it seems that Audacity only works till DX 9.0c and fails with games having stuff like securom etc. But most modern games have an option for windowed mode anyways.

EDIT - Crap, looks like I messed up with the names. Its 3dAnalyser sorry.

Last edited:
"The game doesn't have a default windowed mode so you have to edit the config file to make this possible. You can find this config file by going to your home directory and navigating to Library/Preferences/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Pirates/My Games/Game. Open the "Config.ini" file with TextEdit and add the line "fullscreen = 0" to the bottom of the list. Then save the change you just made to this file, quit text edit, and you're ready to go. Obviously you'll want to make sure the game's resolution is set lower than that of your monitor's resolution or else the window won't fit."

Or You could try a software called DxWnd

ok Add like this
properties->Target

"K:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -Window
or
"K:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -w
(just for example)

Or use full screen =0 in games's config file

Last edited:
Can i ask why will anyone need to run a game in windowed mode??

To be able to close it easily maybe? or just to minimize it while at work and boss is around. :D
Multitasking is easier with windowed mode than with a full-screen app.

To be able to close it easily maybe? or just to minimize it while at work and boss is around. :D
Multitasking is easier with windowed mode than with a full-screen app.

Correctomundo, if I try to alt tab out of the game in full screen my monitor has seizures for a few seconds before it goes to windows.

Users who are viewing this thread