Windows 'X'

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Did anyone own a computer which ran operating systems such as Windows 1.x, 2.x and 3.x?
If you did, tell us about your experiences with these OSs and dabble upon what have been the most effective changes and improvments that have been made to them in relation to Windows 95 and later. Also expand upon some features that you most loathed with these OSs and what you most loved.

My top changes/features/improvements!
From Windows 1.0 to Windows 2.0: (even though I wasn't alive)
-Now had a graphical user interface
-Allowed for windows to overlap each other
-Allowed for minimizing and maximizing windows

From Windows 2.0 to Windows 3.0/3.1:
-Text-mode programs written for MS-DOS could now be run within a window
-Filemanager was now list based and not DOS based
-Games and commercial applications could be run

From Windows 3.0/3.1 to Windows 95:
-Significant GUI improvements including the desktop and start menu
-MS-DOS was no longer required to manage files while Windows was running
-Support for long filenames and 32 bit file access

From Windows 95 to Windows 98:
-Better AGP, USB and multiple monitor support
-Multiple computers on a network could now share an internet connection through a NAT
-Could run DVDs!

From Windows 98 to Windows ME/2000:
-No longer included real-mode MS-DOS
-Introduced System Restore and management utilities
-Older games ran well under Windows ME
-Support for people with disabilities
-Increased support for different languages

From Windows ME/2000 to Windows XP:
-Greater stability and efficiency (cough cough)
-Overhaul of the GUI, increased ease of use
-Addresses problems such as adware and spyware with the release of 2 service packs
-Offline files and folders
-Remote desktop
-Encrypting file system
-Standby and sleep modes
-Ability to group icons in taskbar

From Windows XP to Windows Longhorn
-What features, improvements and changes can be made for future versions of Windows?

Cheers,
Duffarama

Last edited:

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
My first PC's ran on DOS, I tried several different versions including DR DOS (anyone remember that). I first saw windows in its version 2 format and started using it with v3.0. I do remember saying to a friend that I didn't think it would ever take off!!!!! shows what I know:p

I think the most important was 3.11 for workgroups which saw the beginings of networking as we know it today. I have run PC's on most windows versions since but at the moment I am sticking with Windows 2000 Professional, I don't see the need to go to XP

Last edited:

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
kevmead said:
My first PC's ran on DOS, I tried several different versions including DR DOS (anyone remember that). I first saw windows in its version 2 format and started using it with v3.0. I do remember saying to a friend that I didn't think it would ever take off!!!!! shows what I know:p

I think the most important was 3.11 for workgroups which saw the beginings of networking as we know it today. I have run PC's on most windows versions since but at the moment I am sticking with Windows 2000 Professional, I don't see the need to go to XP
Nope, I never never heard of DR.DOS. You could maybe expand upon that if you wish.
My first PC ran just DOS and had to be booted up with a 5 incher floppy disk. I had a few DOS based games for it such as Picadilly Pairs, Olympic Games and Cards.
Then we decided to upgrade the OS with Windows 2.0. It was a significant improvement, but it wasn't until 3.1 when I noticed that Microsoft was building up to be a great force - and it showed. Micosoft Word was spiced up and I could start playing those good old games such as Need For Speed 1! :)

I guess alot of people are sticking with Windows 2000 because it basically runs things faster and it has less security flaws. Just running the task menu in Windows XP drains alot of memory from the system, which does tell you something.

Last edited:

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
DR DOS came from Digital Research, it never really caught on as most people used MS DOS, however DR Dos was first to allow you to utilise more than 640kb of RAM. (I think, it was a long time ago now)

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Cheers.
Here's how MS DOS was caught on by more people. I have digged up some information. Enjoy.

Suddenly faced with real competition in the DOS arena for the first time, Microsoft started an aggressive campaign to downplay the product DR-DOS. They immediately announced the development of MS-DOS 5.0 in May 1990, to be released a few months later and include all the advanced features of DR-DOS. MS-DOS 5.0 was actually not released until June 1991. Although it included copies of almost all of DR's enhancements in memory management, it did not offer all of the improvements to the syntax of DOS commands that DR did.

It looked like that MS-DOS became a copy of DR-DOS! :) (notice the alls)
Except Microsoft were more 'marketing savvy.'

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
duffarama said:
It looked like that MS-DOS became a copy of DR-DOS! :)
Except Microsoft were more 'marketing savvy.'
Absolutley!!!

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Now we need more people's thoughts on their old Windows operating systems.
C'mon everyone, tell us about your memories with DOS, Windows: 1, 2, 3 and even 95! :D

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Slightly off topic but my first 2 computers were the Commodore C16, which I then replaced with an Amstrad CPC464, after that it was PC's all the way.

Attachments

• c16.jpg
    c16.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 67
  • amstrad-cpc464.jpg
    amstrad-cpc464.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 62

Ste

Executive member
When does this homework have to be done by then Duff? :p

I had Windows 3.1 and also had used 3.0 in school. The biggest change I can remember is that it looked better with more colours or something!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Shailesh said:
didn't expect from Duff, but I think :sucks
I'll take you on that and raise you twenty:
:sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks :sucks

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Ste said:
When does this homework have to be done by then Duff? :p

I had Windows 3.1 and also had used 3.0 in school. The biggest change I can remember is that it looked better with more colours or something!
Yep, maybe planetcricket would look better with a new skin. ;)

Back on topic, no significant changes happened from Windows 3.0 to 3.1 except for maybe the facelift. I am not sure about that.

Any of you people heard about Windows Longhorn and Blackberry?

vibs89

School Cricketer
duffarama said:
Yep, maybe planetcricket would look better with a new skin. ;)

Back on topic, no significant changes happened from Windows 3.0 to 3.1 except for maybe the facelift. I am not sure about that.

Any of you people heard about Windows Longhorn and Blackberry?

I head Windows Longhorn is coming out next year. Also Windows Longhorn Beta Versions is coming out later this month or next month. That's what I read in Microsoft Website.

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
vibs89 said:
I head Windows Longhorn is coming out next year. Also Windows Longhorn Beta Versions is coming out later this month or next month. That's what I read in Microsoft Website.
Indeed. I think blackberry or whatever it is called is meant to be the equivalent of Windows Server 2003. Sorta like a Windows Longhorn Server Edition.

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
This must be some sort of joke:
blackberry.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread