10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Ricky Ponting steps down as Captain!

Yeah, hard to digest, but its true! :(.

Ponting said:
I have resigned as captain of both the Test and one-day Australian teams. I will continue to play and am available for selection in both the one day and Test teams. I have thought long and hard about what Australian cricket needs. Now is the right time for the next captain to assume the responsibility for both the Test and one-day teams. We have to be doing everything we can to win back the Ashes in 2013-14 and the World Cup in 2015. It is highly unlikely that I will be still playing so it is the right decision for Australian cricket that the next captain now be appointed. This will give him the opportunity to create his own direction and legacy.

Today is a new start for me and I am very excited about the future. I will give my complete support to our new captain and continue to do my best to set the best possible example for my teammates and emerging cricketers alike.

Source: Australia news: Ricky Ponting steps down as captain | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Excuse me?

I am a true fan of test cricket , an arena where Ponting holds the record number of wins as captain . And in his 31 matches as captain of Australia in the WC , he has 29 wins , again the most successful for any player/captain .

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You shouldn't forget that he had a bunch of top quality players.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
You shouldn't forget that he had a bunch of top quality players.

And you shouldn't forget that he was the best among that bunch of 'top quality players' to be appointed as captain at the first place .

Sedition

Panel of Selectors

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
And you shouldn't forget that he was the best among that bunch of 'top quality players' to be appointed as captain at the first place .
:facepalm

The best player need not be the captain, it has to be the player with good leadership qualities. By what you said, Dhoni is the best player India has!

----------

And as far as the leadership skills are concerned, Ponting is good but certainly not the greatest.

----------

Even Dravid had top quality players (like Sehwag:p)! What could he do?
It was just a bad patch for the team, when we were playing the best oppositions away from home. And yes, Dravid wasn't a very good leader, Ponting is, but you need to accept the fact that half of his success or even more than that was achieved due to the players he had.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
:facepalm
The best player need not be the captain, it has to be the player with good leadership qualities. By what you said, Dhoni is the best player India has!

I don't remember him saying that the best player is captain for all teams. Jump to conclusions much? :rolleyes

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
It was just a bad patch for the team, when we were playing the best oppositions away from home. And yes, Dravid wasn't a very good leader, Ponting is, but you need to accept the fact that half of his success or even more than that was achieved due to the players he had.

Agreed! If Ponting would have been leading Netherlands/Namibia, he wouldn't have got all these tags and all!

But one thing which remains fact is "there is no captain, who can win matches alone! Its a team effort, and ultimately, the one leading it would get the credit, whatever he has done!":yes. Fortunately or unfortunately, the best of these blokes is Ponting!

AfridiRulez

Club Cricketer
Just saw this on Cricinfo. Really sad way to retire way to retire for a great player.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I don't remember him saying that the best player is captain for all teams. Jump to conclusions much?
I misinterpreted it. I felt he meant that Ponting was the best player Australia had, so was appointed the captain. My bad! :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread