Ponting steps down as Australian captain

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Cant think of any great victorious teams or captains who didnt have great players at their disposal. Does this mean that no captain has ever been great? Seems to be the logic in this thread. Ponting has done some stellar work as captain, people just remember the losses though. :facepalm

You know how it goes with people..

BlueString

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
And you shouldn't forget that he was the best among that bunch of 'top quality players' to be appointed as captain at the first place .

I disagree. Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist were superior batsmen I think. Not degrading what Ponting's done with the bat, it's been outstanding, but the arguement that he had a lot of great players is fair.

I mean, he had the greatest medium-pacer AND the greatest legspinner in HISTORY at his disposal. He had two dominating left handers opening the batting in ODIs, and Justin Langer in Tests. And if, by the slightest chance, Gilly, Hayden, and himself all failed with the bat, he had guys like Andrew Symonds and Micheal Clarke to pick up the slack. He had the greatest team since the Windies of the 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread