PS3 players; Anyone else new to The Ashes Online?

Isnt the doosra just an off-spinners version of the leg-spinners googly.? wrong-un

I was a bit annoyed this morning!
Can ranked people take on unranked?

I set up an unranked game and a person came on with the Row XI team (always a pointer). And preceded to pulverise me! No way was he unranked!
I was very tempted to reboot mid game but I didn't!

Can you add your own players to the net games? I'm thinking of building a few quickies to add.

Tc

I was a bit annoyed this morning!
Can ranked people take on unranked?

I set up an unranked game and a person came on with the Row XI team (always a pointer). And preceded to pulverise me! No way was he unranked!
I was very tempted to reboot mid game but I didn't!

Can you add your own players to the net games? I'm thinking of building a few quickies to add.

Tc

Unranked game doesn't mean that ranked players can't join the game. It simply means that the game result won't impact online ranking since the game itself is "unranked" and not the player(s) who play the game.

Id avoid using the special teams or accessive fast bowlers as if it lags many consider it a cheap tactic. Some general good tips here though. Feel free to add me on PSN also LeftArmFast

I agree, but i would still reccomend that for beginners, thats how I started, but then once i improved i began playing with Pakistan unless opposition plays with a special team.

I do not see the point playing with special teams anymore as often it just ends up a boring low scroing encounter, especially if your bowling first against weaker opposition.

Some possible tips when bowling:

1) Avoid Spinners as suggested above
2) Use teams with genuine quick bowlers, Australia and Asia XI have 3 in their squad, South Africa, TG XI, Rest of World, CM XI have 4 etc...
3) Use custom field settings and bowl to your field. (You will see such field settings when playing against tougher opponents, observe them and set similar fields)
4) Use a few attacking fielders to block the angles, i.e Silly mid off, Silly Mid on etc... (They can often get catches for you)
6) I always avoid using the X key when bowling, and use swing bowling instead (See below)
5) Use variations when bowling - Swing the bowl using the Circle or Square buttons, Slower bowls, Bouncers.
6) Move the cursor for the bowl late to confuse the batsman into playing a false shot. e.g Start cursor outside off stump and move it in late onto the stumps or vice versa.

6 ways of playing online a LOSER's style. Best advice would be to keep it as real as possible at your end and make some good friends here who like to play 'real'. I'm sure you will find plenty around here.

6 ways of playing online a LOSER's style. Best advice would be to keep it as real as possible at your end and make some good friends here who like to play 'real'. I'm sure you will find plenty around here.

There is nothing unrealistic or unfair with having a few close in feilders, using variations with the bowl, moving the bowl around etc...

That is not losing style, it is called using tactics, Just as in real life cricket good bowlers use away swing, in swing, slower balls, bouncers etc... In fact bowling without such tactics with online play is not realistic it is far from it.

Also some of those tips where for beginners! I myself bowl with a spinner in my team (Shahid Afridi for Pakistan)

There is nothing unrealistic or unfair with having a few close in feilders, using variations with the bowl, moving the bowl around

1) Close-in fielder catching a full blooded shot smacked by Gayle/Ponting/Hayden coming down the track IS unreal, my friend.

2) Moving the 'ball' around is fair and real BUT moving the 'bowling cursor' around at the LAST second hoping lag will make it re-appear IS unfair and unreal, again my friend.

Even as a newbie, playing fair and tough is what counts. Lack of experience is no cover for choosing cheap tactics. If he has a big enough heart to complete matches, he sure can play the game the real way without exploiting any bug(close-in fielders catching full blooded shots) or lag(making cursor re-appear at last second).

Everyone Ive played moves the curser at the last second. I don't mind. I do it too. But not to exploite a 'lag'. I didn't even know there was a lag.
I think it's simply changing your pitching point at the last moment. It's actually quite hard to do whilst looking at the power meter at the smae time.
I think it's just another skill to master.

1) Close-in fielder catching a full blooded shot smacked by Gayle/Ponting/Hayden coming down the track IS unreal, my friend.

2) Moving the 'ball' around is fair and real BUT moving the 'bowling cursor' around at the LAST second hoping lag will make it re-appear IS unfair and unreal, again my friend.

You may have a point with 1) but with 2) who on earth mentioned exploiting a lag? I was talking about genuine bowling by moving the cursor!

Even with the close in feilders, as long as the batsman gets the placement right he should avoid those close in fielders, and of course both players have the option to do the same, I do not agree with over doing the close in fielders, but as long as its not over doing it, its fine.

You may have a point with 1) but with 2) who on earth mentioned exploiting a lag? I was talking about genuine bowling by moving the cursor!

Then it's fine. Actually some people around here make the cursor 're-appearing' on the opposite side of pitch and call it a tactic and a skill to master, which is quite stupid given it happens only when there is a lag.

Even with the close in feilders, as long as the batsman gets the placement right he should avoid those close in fielders, and of course both players have the option to do the same, I do not agree with over doing the close in fielders, but as long as its not over doing it, its fine.

Wrong is wrong, both the players doing the same thing doesn't make it right. Ofcourse, it might neutralize the effect but then again, it is NOT realistic cricket, my friend.

Then it's fine. Actually some people around here make the cursor 're-appearing' on the opposite side of pitch and call it a tactic and a skill to master, which is quite stupid given it happens only when there is a lag.

Wrong is wrong, both the players doing the same thing doesn't make it right. Ofcourse, it might neutralize the effect but then again, it is NOT realistic cricket, my friend.

do bowlers not change their placement at the last second depending on the batters position? Sometimes it goes for a wide, sometimes it gets a wicket.
It is another skill.
Sounds like cricket to me.

TangoCharlie added 4 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

Can someone tell me what this 'lag' is and how do I know if my opponent suffers from it.
I don t think I do.

As I said, as long as the cursor is not re-appearing, its fine. And if it is, it is nothing but exploiting lag. Period.

MuchMore added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Can someone tell me what this 'lag' is and how do I know if my opponent suffers from it.
I don t think I do.

In online gaming, lag is a term used to describe delays between the action of players and the reaction of the server (and vice versa)

I had three quitters last night. I was bowling first on all occasions and kept it very tight with a few wickets. I never got to bat on any occasion!

I've also decided never to face a Row XI team again. I don't think it's fair picking a team of superstars!

Users who are viewing this thread