Quarter-final 3: Argentina v Germany, Saturday 3 July 2010 at 14:00 GM

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Argentina is going to get the toughest competition if they want to become the World Cup champions.

First they have got to beat Germany, then possibly Spain and then probably the Netherlands or Brazil.

If Germany goes through till the end, it will be even a bigger accomplishment. They already knocked out England and will have to beat the teams, that I earlier mentioned, including Argentina.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Beating that England defence wasn't much of an accomplishment. Hopefully, they'll be knocked out by Argentina, who then get knocked out themselves. As long as either Argentina or Germany don't win the Cup, I'm not that fussed who does win it to be honest.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
The road for Germany towards the quarters have been a lot trickier than that of Argentina, Germany had Ghana, who in my books are becoming a force to be reckoned with in a few years time don't forget the Ghanaians are the U/20 WC champions, Serbia, who's not a bad team considering where they are ranked along side Australia who in my opinion had the Germans on the wrong game.

Argentina had little to do, a feisty yet unconvincing South Korea, Greece who only but look a shadow of their previous selfs and a Nigerian team that lacks the ability to play besides their goalkeeper who kept them in the games.

Both of the teams defense have been questioned, the goal that came from Mexico was a lapse in concentration by Argentina, Germany however are again finding that strict discipline typical German style we all know.

The hype is the Argentine wonderboys vs the german unit, some journalist wrote and I quite agree that a world cup student will never write of a German side in tournament soccer...

It will be tight and both teams will be under pressure, Maradona could have put a little too much pressure on Messi and yes even the worlds best can crack, not that it will happen this Saturday, but I think Loew's tactical brilliance over Maradona's "superstars" will prevail - Germany 2 - 1 Argentina

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
D E S T R U C T I O N

...and Ozil was relatively ineffective today.

You just can't win with 3 forwards against a team with a good midfield. There were just too many gaps for Germany to work with in the midfield and they dominated that entire area.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Klose has been brilliant this tournament. His movement is phenomenal. He draws defenders out when he wants (i.e. vs England) and can occupy both centre backs. He knows exactly when to move out.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It wasn't tight in the end at all, was it? Germany were in complete control for the entire match. Well played, but I don't want them winning it. Bye bye, Argies - so much for the great and powerful Messi - out at the Quarter final stage, without scoring one goal. If it applies to Rooney, then it applies to Messi as well - to be called World Class, you have to do it at the World Cup.

At least England scored one vs the Germans. ;) :D :p

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
For what it's worth, Messi has been much better than Rooney.

Also, lol at the guy who said this was the weakest German team since 2000. I think it was War. I disagreed vehemently with that statement, and Germany are showing exactly why this might actually potentially be one of the better German squads in the years to come. Imagine this team in 4 years, 8 years and perhaps even 12 years.

Great performance from the Germans. Poor Muller, but I think he's the front runner for the Young Player of the WC award anyways. Schweini has been awesome so far. And, even thought Ozil was off today, Germany looked great. Even if they don't win the Cup, this has been a great tournament for such a young squad.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Schweinsteiger has been the best central midfielder in this world cup. He has benefited allot from the Ballack injury and has been able to play in his natural position. He showed all of his ability and talent in today's game. MVP of the world cup so far.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
It wasn't tight in the end at all, was it? Germany were in complete control for the entire match. Well played, but I don't want them winning it. Bye bye, Argies - so much for the great and powerful Messi - out at the Quarter final stage, without scoring one goal. If it applies to Rooney, then it applies to Messi as well - to be called World Class, you have to do it at the World Cup.

At least England scored one vs the Germans. ;) :D :p

Messi has certainly been a lot more involved than Rooney and has provided assists as well. But yes overall you can say his World Cup performance did not live up to expectation.

m_vaughan added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Schweinsteiger has been the best central midfielder in this world cup. He has benefited allot from the Ballack injury and has been able to play in his natural position. He showed all of his ability and talent in today's game. MVP of the world cup so far.

A certain Wesley Sneijder will want to disagree with that.

m_vaughan added 4 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Also, lol at the guy who said this was the weakest German team since 2000. I think it was War. I disagreed vehemently with that statement, and Germany are showing exactly why this might actually potentially be one of the better German squads in the years to come. Imagine this team in 4 years, 8 years and perhaps even 12 years.

Great performance from the Germans. Poor Muller, but I think he's the front runner for the Young Player of the WC award anyways. Schweini has been awesome so far. And, even thought Ozil was off today, Germany looked great. Even if they don't win the Cup, this has been a great tournament for such a young squad.

People have underestimated Germany. Hopefully Spain won't do that mistake. They have an exciting blend of youth and experience in there with the younger players rising to the occasion big time.

I still don't rate their CB partnership that much but trouble is Torres is looking completely incapable at the moment to take advantage of that.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
A certain Wesley Sneijder will want to disagree with that.

Roben has done more then Sneijder so far. Sneijder hasn't dominated a game like Schweinsteiger did today. Controlled everything in the midfield, from box to box.

If Muller deserved a yellow card for his handball then Di Maria deserved a straight red for his. For that stupid call Muller has to miss the next match.

War

Chairman of Selectors
WELL DAMNN!!...I certainly didn't expect todays result. I think we possibily could be seeing the emergence of one of the great German teams. DEAR GOD

War added 8 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Yea ha & i dont back down from my intially analysis. Nobody in their right midn canttell me they predicted what this inexperienced german team would have to England & now Argentina.

They should nothing in WCQ that would suggest such performances.

- Losing Ballack, Frings, Metzelder was supposed to be massive blows.

- Plus Klose & Podolski from doemstically was horrific

- Ozil, Mueller where unproven on the world stage

But one must give Klose especially who was never been much of a great striker, who wouldn't even make a German All-time football XI. The just keeps showing up in world cups. While the young guns have shown great balls on the world stage - something i wish the England players would do.

War

Chairman of Selectors
One must wonder though. If Maradona have picked Zanetti, Cambiasso & G Milito how things may have been different.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Roben has done more then Sneijder so far. Sneijder hasn't dominated a game like Schweinsteiger did today. Controlled everything in the midfield, from box to box.

I personally do not agree with that. Sneijder has been great.

m_vaughan added 8 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

WELL DAMNN!!...I certainly didn't expect todays result. I think we possibily could be seeing the emergence of one of the great German teams. DEAR GOD

War added 8 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Yea ha & i dont back down from my intially analysis. Nobody in their right midn canttell me they predicted what this inexperienced german team would have to England & now Argentina.

They should nothing in WCQ that would suggest such performances.

- Losing Ballack, Frings, Metzelder was supposed to be massive blows.

- Plus Klose & Podolski from doemstically was horrific

- Ozil, Mueller where unproven on the world stage

But one must give Klose especially who was never been much of a great striker, who wouldn't even make a German All-time football XI. The just keeps showing up in world cups. While the young guns have shown great balls on the world stage - something i wish the England players would do.

Metzelder was never a massive blow. Klose's and Podolski's domestic form have always been pretty poor or average at best. Ozil and Muller (even Khedira) had certainly impressed me enough and I was looking forward to seeing them in the World Cup.

Its a very different Germany, a new Germany, and a very exciting one. Well done Louw. Spain have a real tough one next up.

m_vaughan added 3 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

One must wonder though. If Maradona have picked Zanetti, Cambiasso & G Milito how things may have been different.

Milito wouldn't have made any difference. Cambiasso and Zanetti would have maybe if Maradona dint stick to this outrageous all or bust attitude of playing three forwards.

I was surprised how their back two of Dimichelis and Heinze had managed not to stuff it up in the earlier games because in fact both are horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread