Question: is the outfield too slow?

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I watch a lot of cricket and I compare it to DB14, and one thing I've noticed is that the ball visibly slows near the boundary. I've gotten quite a few 2's and 3's when the ball just slowed near the boundary - however watching RL cricket shows the grounds being quite flat resulting in balls flying to the boundary, even off knicks:

eg. Rogers scores timely ton for Victoria | cricket.com.au

Watch the above (highlights of Rogers scoring a FC century for Vic and notice how the ball runs to the rope. I'm not saying EVERY ball should hit the rope but I drive a heck of a lot and know I should get more balls to the rope (same for AI).

lastig

Club Captain
I watch a lot of cricket and I compare it to DB14, and one thing I've noticed is that the ball visibly slows near the boundary. I've gotten quite a few 2's and 3's when the ball just slowed near the boundary - however watching RL cricket shows the grounds being quite flat resulting in balls flying to the boundary, even off knicks:

eg. Rogers scores timely ton for Victoria | cricket.com.au

Watch the above (highlights of Rogers scoring a FC century for Vic and notice how the ball runs to the rope. I'm not saying EVERY ball should hit the rope but I drive a heck of a lot and know I should get more balls to the rope (same for AI).
I personally think they have it spot on as run rate seem pretty much 100% in this game, where it could never be like that in previous games.

fiction

County Cricketer
Friction was adjusted in the recent patch to further balance the game and stop it from being a run feast.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not in general but I would like to see outfield pace as an option in the pre-game setting just to vary it up and have the occasional super fast outfield or slow.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm with @Bluebagger and there should be an option to set the outfield speed. Plus it would be good to play on grounds where the ball rushes to the boundary in the career mode. Currently every stadium has the same outfield speed.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I think its definately something to add to the game(option for outfield speed) sometime its like the grass is too long if you play along the ground, whereas if you hit an aerial shot it seems to kick on as it bounces. I must agree with fiction though, the added friction has made it more balanced although I think I get to run a lot of 3s, certainly more than you'd expect. I probably run more 3s in an innings on DB than I have in the last 2 seasons irl!

The_Pharoah

International Coach
I probably run more 3s in an innings on DB than I have in the last 2 seasons irl!

this is what I mean. I haven't played RL cricket for years but, as long as the grass was cut (or is low/dry as in a lot of fields here in Qld), the ball would race to the boundary esp on fast bowling so you wouldn't even bother chasing esp through the slip cordon...the ball itself has momentum and you sometimes just need to guide it to the boundary esp when its new.

Friction was adjusted in the recent patch to further balance the game and stop it from being a run feast

I don't really understand this concept ie. as a batsman...I've timed a ball well off good fast bowling...but the game 'penalises' me by 1 run (or two depending on running speed of batsmen) to avoid a run fest? Kinda defeats the concept of cricket doesn't it? I mean, the aim is to score runs...as many runs as you can. I think instead of penalising batsmen for hits to the boundary by artificially slowing the ball, maybe focus on the bowling AI instead? I mean...if the bowling was as good as it is IRL ie. line/length/swing/good field placement...you wouldn't have a run fest in the first place.

fiction

County Cricketer
this is what I mean. I haven't played RL cricket for years but, as long as the grass was cut (or is low/dry as in a lot of fields here in Qld), the ball would race to the boundary esp on fast bowling so you wouldn't even bother chasing esp through the slip cordon...the ball itself has momentum and you sometimes just need to guide it to the boundary esp when its new.

I don't really understand this concept ie. as a batsman...I've timed a ball well off good fast bowling...but the game 'penalises' me by 1 run (or two depending on running speed of batsmen) to avoid a run fest? Kinda defeats the concept of cricket doesn't it? I mean, the aim is to score runs...as many runs as you can. I think instead of penalising batsmen for hits to the boundary by artificially slowing the ball, maybe focus on the bowling AI instead? I mean...if the bowling was as good as it is IRL ie. line/length/swing/good field placement...you wouldn't have a run fest in the first place.
We aren't penalising anyone, we've just adjusted the friction to a certain level where you have to time the ball really well to get a boundary. Some well-timed shots will make the ball race away to the boundary. As for the AI, it's one of our main focus for patch 3.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
I also think most of the time the ball slows down when it goes over the darker strip and rolls along fine in lighter strip of grass, would like if fiction can confirm this or is it just me thinking.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
We aren't penalising anyone, we've just adjusted the friction to a certain level where you have to time the ball really well to get a boundary. Some well-timed shots race will make the ball race away to the boundary. As for the AI, it's one of our main focus for patch 3.

Hopefully the AI it THE main focus. AI batting being the major one, then the clown-like fielding( diving on the ball to slide it over the boundary when the ball wouldn't have even reached the rope, standing motionless when the ball goes shoulder height past the fielder, the riverdance before a catch), field settings and opening bowlers. These are all pressing issues which need to be addressed.

This is why it is imperative that there are some PC updates before patch 3 so that it can be tested and feedback given as before.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
It might be just that I'm better playing the ball leg side, but I sometimes think the ball slows down more on the offside.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This was a huge problem post patch 2, where beautifully timed shots would go like a bullet 3/4 of the way to boundary then die quicker than one of Harold Shipman's patients. But it's definitely improved in the later updates pushed out on PC (and I assume console patch 2.5).

However, as others noted above, one of the major issues is every outfield seems the same.

As for the AI, it's one of our main focus for patch 3.

AI really should be number 1 focus, in order of importance: the way the AI bats, particularly the "middle or miss" frustration; field sets and bowling changes.
Number 2 focus: fix the pitch/ball conditions effects.
Number 3 focus: AI batting aggression.

Shouldn't really be wasting your time on anything else.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Harold shipman! Nice one @blockerdave! Lol He should of been a boxer, he had a lethal jab!

Users who are viewing this thread