Rain- your view

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Im sitting here with the rain splashing against my window, which it has done for the past few days, unable to get outside or watch any cricket on TV because thats been rained off as well. Take a glance at the UK weather forecasts for the next few days and you will see why I am a bit 'under the weather':

UK_map0_weather.gif

UK_map1_weather.gif

UK_map2_weather.gif

I remember a couple of weeks ago when it was 24 degrees and I was loving it. It was the second day of the Lords test and it was in lovely sunshine. Ever since then its gone downhill and rained, including on 2 C&G trophy matches. My question is- should we play cricket in something like the Milennium Stadium? I think we shouldnt because although its annoying the game depends on the weather so much. I think it would be immoral but I would like to here your ideas.

Maybe England could have one indoor stadium kind of like the Telstra dome in Australia. Then at least 1 game will be played.

Its the most annoying thing ever during the cricket season. I have had both my games (Sat and Sun) called off due to the rain. However, we do usually play in rain, its just the torrential stuff we have had over the past two days which have led to my games being off.

I think we should play cricket indoors, wouldnt have a big effect on the game itself. It would just ensure the game would go ahead, which is what everyone wants to see.

Yup me too. I think that some play is better than no play. An indoor stadium may remove some aspects of the game that depend upon the weather but shouldn't affect it too much.

At club level, maybe even ODI, I'm ok with playing under a roof. In First-Class and Test matches, however, I'm dead against it - rain has always been part of the game and it should remain so.

Because it's expensive. I suppose you'll donate a bit of your pocket money towards building a roof in every stadium?

SkateBoarder said:
My question is- should we play cricket in something like the Milennium Stadium? I think we shouldnt because although its annoying the game depends on the weather so much. I think it would be immoral but I would like to here your ideas.

Definitely not something like the Millenium Stadium, it would have to be a purpose built facility or something like an athetics stadium. I went to the 'Power Cricket' event at the Millenium stadium a few years ago and as enjoyable as it was, it just wouldn't work for 'normal' cricket.

This of course is IF it were to happen at some stage. As annoying the weather can be, it would be taking something away from the game for me. Bad light and rain has been a reason for some classic games of late. South Africa v England at Johannesburg in 2004 - England trying to bowl out South Africa before the light became too dark and just when all seem lost, Hoggard strikes. 3rd Ashes test at Old Trafford - had it not rained, would we have been on the edge of our seats on day 5? There are plenty more games too, like England beating Pakistan in the dark!

Just shouldn't happen in tests or anything longer than a one day game.

JamesyJames3 said:
Its the most annoying thing ever during the cricket season. I have had both my games (Sat and Sun) called off due to the rain. However, we do usually play in rain, its just the torrential stuff we have had over the past two days which have led to my games being off.

I think we should play cricket indoors, wouldnt have a big effect on the game itself. It would just ensure the game would go ahead, which is what everyone wants to see.

Except of course Hoggard never playing for England.

Rain is a part of cricket, cricket is an outside sport don't make it inner.

Personally I'd make for more rain days (Extra days to resume play) for the counties and National teams.

Cricket in England will never be able to afford a stadium roof like the millenium stadium, not only would it need to be bigger but they aren't anywhere like enough funds for ?500 (ish) million developments.

Maybe they could have sand bases in the grounds so that when the rain eventually stops the ground doesnt take too much time to get dried up(The recent India-West Indies series providing an ideal example).Building indoor stadia for every ground isnt really possible due to obvious reasons.I cant think of anything else atm.

Playing ODI cricket under a roof isn't such a bad idea. Australia has the luxury of doing it at the Telstra Dome. Plus would a circular/oval ground with a roof really get used to its full potential in England and in fact anywhere else in the world? The Telstra Dome is mainly used for AFL matches and I can't think of many sports other than Cricket and AFL that need grounds that big and AFL is only a major sport in Australia.

I really don't like the atmosphere of the Telstra Dome, it seems to add some sort of a novelty sense. Growing up in Australia I haven't really experienced alot of constant rain, so I couldn't fairly judge in comparison to the British as they'd have gone through the frustration first-hand, but it takes the natural element out of the game in my opinion. The unknown presence of rain affects how you formulate your tactics and respond to different situations, as it may strike at any time, and if that went, it would be tarnished to some extent. On the other hand, it's not a bad idea for ODI cricket as the whole idea of that form of cricket is to create a 'sporting spectacle', but funding is required. Better drainage is a good idea, but if torrential rain is the cause, there's not much you can do about it.

Iron-Haggis said:
The Telstra Dome is mainly used for AFL matches and I can't think of many sports other than Cricket and AFL that need grounds that big and AFL is only a major sport in Australia.

Gaelic Football?

Rain, however annoying it is plays a important role in the history of cricket in my opinion. It adds a twist to test matches and has always been there. To add roofs to many stadiums at this late stage would be ruining the tradition.

And almost impossible with many current grounds in England.

Not to mention to the money that clubs and ECB even, don't have.

There's more chance of

'Giles is better than Warne' :andrewnixon:

than roofs on English cricket grounds.

Actually Warwickshire are talking about moving to a new stadium with a roof, and Lancashire are considering putting a roof on Old Trafford as part of the redevelopment of the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread