Random Thoughts

Thats laughable, if you honestly believe that will make up the wage difference between a college degree and not having one, then good luck to you my friend.

fearsome tweak me, you don't get it. I said I'll save money, never said it'll make up the difference.

Stop trying to tell me what to do, when you know nothing about it.

If you want to be a mechanic, get a simple Mechanical Engineering bachelors degree and then pursue it. Many places offer it as a 3 years course, and if being a mechanic doesn't pay the bills, you could find several other jobs.

And one of my friends loves cars and messing with them too. But he's going to Uni to get a degree in Automotive Engineering, and hopes to work in F1 racing. That's certainly going to pay more than working in the local garage, and it's essentially the same thing but cooler.

Big difference between mechanics and engineering. Engineers make a lot more.

Are you serious?

Nah, I'm just joking.

Of course I'm serious.

Anyway, selling the old 88 Magna, hoping to get 300 or so for it. She's not worth much, but I'm saving for another car, so every bit helps.

Jakester1288 added 0 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I guess the world needs mechanics and janitors :p

What do you do?

Nothing exciting but at least I am well paid.

Anyways, if you honestly feel you will be happy the rest of your life working on cars and that will outweigh the burden of living off a low wage then thats cool too.

Its just that once you have a family, it all becomes about money. Not about about what makes you happy at work, but what puts food on the table and pays to keep the lights on.

Jake, you don't wan't your wife earning more than you, do you?

Cricketdude added 10 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

My friend is wants to become a mechanic. I don't want to wake up with a sore back everyday. Once you fix a car you fix another,then another and another. Wheres the joy in that?

It's not like I can't update my skills later on if I need to.

What is your job though?

desk jockey for a non-profit

Jake, you don't wan't your wife earning more than you, do you?

Cricketdude added 10 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

My friend is wants to become a mechanic. I don't want to wake up with a sore back everyday. Once you fix a car you fix another,then another and another. Wheres the joy in that?

Exactly, its a romanticism more than anything else. Next week he will want to be a fireman :p

It tacky to talk about money so candidly.

EDIT: Thats probably one of the most personal questions you can ask someone today. My brother does not even know what I make.

Last edited by a moderator:
It tacky to talk about money so candidly.

EDIT: Thats probably one of the most personal questions you can ask someone today. My brother does not even know what I make.

Next he'll be asking you what colour underwear you prefer to wear. :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread