Random Thoughts

Off to pick up a 5 fer on one of the worst grounds you will ever see. Crappy astro pitch, with 20/30 yard boundaries straight either end and massive boundaries square of the wicket. Also, the opposition changing room is the store cupboard.

Should be fun...

Surely you jest, I thought our boundaries were small at 55-70 yards

Off to pick up a 5 fer on one of the worst grounds you will ever see. Crappy astro pitch, with 20/30 yard boundaries straight either end and massive boundaries square of the wicket. Also, the opposition changing room is the store cupboard.

Should be fun...

Boy did I call it: 8 overs, 3 maidens, 5 for 18. We bowled them out for 67, and chased it down in 7 overs without losing a wicket. Easiest win ever, although last season we did bowl a team with 8 players out for 10 :p

treva added 1 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Surely you jest, I thought our boundaries were small at 55-70 yards

And no Mark, I don't. Seriously small. I reckon one side was 30 yards from the edge of the astro, the other only 20/25. Poor excuse for a cricket club.

This Degree stuff is laughable. So many people now do pointless degrees that employers couldn't give a crap about it's funny. There's nothing wrong with not going to Uni - even if you have the opportunity too do so. And personally, I'd rather do a job I enjoy doing rather than a job that's well paid but I hate. 5 days a week 9-5 maybe more until you're 65.

The proposals by the Lib Dems to scrap tuition fees is stupid and impossible. 1) We couldn't support all of those that go to Uni through tax. 2) If someones doing a pointless course than why should I and others that work pay for them to bum?

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind giving those who do an important degree some support. I.e. Doctors & Nurses.

It is a fact that people with college degrees earn more than people with just HS degrees.

I wouldn't sell myself short by not getting a Uni degree. Of course a degree matters, especially in an economy where every single job is hard to come by. Companies are more likely to hire someone with an official education than someone without it.

Maybe it's just cuz I'm Asian.

It is a fact that people with college degrees earn more than people with just HS degrees.

I wouldn't sell myself short by not getting a Uni degree. Of course a degree matters, especially in an economy where every single job is hard to come by. Companies are more likely to hire someone with an official education than someone without it.

No, i think it might be because we are American. Over here unless you have a college degree, you will not get a decent salaried position anywhere.

EDIT: Id rather work in a job I dislike and make lots of money and retire early then work a wage job I like and be poor the rest of my life.

Did you do a degree with any point? If so then your very right. In Britain though, more and more people are going to uni and doing pointless degrees such as football management, which employers are seeing as a waste of time.

@ hMArka - You'd have too have a very well paid job too do that. Seeing as most of my life is going to be work, I'd rather do a job I enjoy than one I hate. I have another 45 years ahead of me. Obviously, if you can find a job that combines both, your a lucky bastard :P

Last edited:
It's because the gov. got rid of polytechnics. Since then every man and his dog goes to uni as it keeps the unemployment figures down for the government. Half the uni's in Britain aren't "real" uni's but jumped up polytechnics

This Degree stuff is laughable. So many people now do pointless degrees that employers couldn't give a crap about it's funny. There's nothing wrong with not going to Uni - even if you have the opportunity too do so. And personally, I'd rather do a job I enjoy doing rather than a job that's well paid but I hate. 5 days a week 9-5 maybe more until you're 65.

The proposals by the Lib Dems to scrap tuition fees is stupid and impossible. 1) We couldn't support all of those that go to Uni through tax. 2) If someones doing a pointless course than why should I and others that work pay for them to bum?

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind giving those who do an important degree some support. I.e. Doctors & Nurses.

I agree with both you and the Lib Dems.

Firstly, and most importantly, I don't believe that anyone should pay for improving their skills and increasing the knowledge of the work force is a fundamental part of a good economy.

However, we need more scrutiny over degrees, which in some ways goes with what Tom says. Too many degrees leave me thinking, why?

In my world, I'd have certain universities, which have accredited courses, that are free, this will also improve competition amonsgt uni candidates.

It's because the gov. got rid of polytechnics. Since then every man and his dog goes to uni as it keeps the unemployment figures down for the government. Half the uni's in Britain aren't "real" uni's but jumped up polytechnics

There also introducing/introduced all kids have to stay in school until their 18. Stupid. Most kids that piss about in schools go on to do plumbing, mechanics etc and they much prefer it and do it well. Why stop apprenticeships at 16 for kids its suited at? If college was like school I'd have left. People go to college if they want to advance their learning, not because they are forced. It should be a choice.

Unemployment figures for 18-24 year olds are depressing reading. Read about a girl with 11 GCSE's A*-A and 5 A Levels at A grade that couldn't find a job for around two years and killed herself because of the shame she felt. She got no help from the job centres, which are set up to hand money out to those happy to sit on their arse and not give any help to those that want to work.

@Sureshot - I'd agree with that. Though only if the degrees have any relevance. If they don't you pay double. It's a way of recouping money and it would stop people going to uni just to get pissed.

Last edited:
There is a severe lack of engineers/physicians/any skilled professional in America today. There are many talented students who simply cannot afford to go to college because of the exorbitant fees (seriously, $25-$30,000/year instate, $55k+ out of state is just crazy). As a student, that too from an upper-middle class family, I don't know how I am going to pay for my education. I wonder how poor people must feel.

I think it's a great move, I sure as hell appreciate all the help I can get.

Cricketman added 4 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

No, i think it might be because we are American. Over here unless you have a college degree, you will not get a decent salaried position anywhere.

EDIT: Id rather work in a job I dislike and make lots of money and retire early then work a wage job I like and be poor the rest of my life.

This. We recently had Ben Carson, one of the greatest physicians the world has ever seen, come into our school and give us a bit of a motivational speech. He came from a deprived family - was in deep poverty, his father left when he was born, and his mother only had a 3rd grade education. He studied at Yale and is now a full professor of neurology, oncology, and plastic surgery at Johns Hopkins, served Bush on his council of bioethics, and was named by the Library of Congress as one of the 89 'Living Legends' in the world today (among many other prestigious awards, the guy has over 50 honorary doctorates!)

Anyways getting to the point, he said something that really stuck with me. The average lifespan of a person is about 80 years. You spend about 25 of those working hard, slugging it out, and then you have 60 years to reap the benefits. If you don't, you have 60 years to face the consequences.

Get an education.

I think it's a great move, I sure as hell appreciate all the help I can get.

If that's a reference to the what I said about scrapping tuition fees, than I think you'll find the US is completely different to the UK in that respect. You can be "poor" and go to Uni here. You get a student loan and if you are "poor" you get government grants - depending on the earnings of your parents.

As I said with Sureshot's point - if there's something your society and economy badly need, I don't mind Uni students in those particular areas being helped through the course.

\ You can be "poor" and go to Uni here. You get a student loan and if you are "poor" you get government grants - depending on the earnings of your parents.

That happens here as well, you just have to make decent enough grades in highschool to get those grants and loans.

You are either REALLY poor (<$25,000) or REALLY rich to get into college easier here. It is really hard on the middle guys, $40isk - ~ $250k, as financial aid is minimal for these brackets. Rich people either can easily pay themselves or have the right connections.

That happens here as well, you just have to make decent enough grades in highschool to get those grants and loans.

Here you can get pretty average marks and get into a course if there are spaces. My mates got an just one E in travel and tourism and got onto a uni course. I guess the difference is you guys are far more elitist in your society in terms of education, sport and healthcare (Still).

Edit: I take back the elitist comment regarding education back after what Cricketman just wrote. As is similar too here, the majority of average earners and people suffer here too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread