Retirements Thread - Virat, Rohit and Jadeja T20Is

At his best he was far better than Steyn, just to inconsistent, still feel there is so much more....sad to see him go.

I know he has retired, so we are supposed to say nice things about him. But far better than Steyn ? LOL !!

I know he has retired, so we are supposed to say nice things about him. But far better than Steyn ? LOL !!
Steyn is world's best at a consistent rate but Mitch was best in the universe at the time og 2013-14 Ashes. His bowling is my inspiration to become a LF bowler.

The thing here is that when Mitchell Johnson was on song, he was better than any other bowler in the world. Even better than Steyn. However, that happened very rarely. As people have mentioned, that 2013/14 season was probably his best season when he brought the Ashes back to Australia almost single-handedly and then went on to terrorize South Africa in South Africa. However, because MJ's lack of consistency, Steyn will always be a better bowler overall.

So the slingy swinger of Australia said Bye Bye to Cricket. Really feeling very sad for aussie but it will be a relief for some of the batsmen of other countries

I cannot agree. Steyn at his best vs Johnson at his best - Steyn will win. Johnson might provide 4 overs of intimidating bowling in seaming conditions that might scare the batsmen into making mistakes, but they know he will be used in short bursts and there is relief around the corner soon.

Steyn on the other hand can keep going with his line and length and pace and everything else, regardless of conditions etc. His intensity doesn't run out.

More frightening sure but better? Not a chance.
Yeah its my opinion of which I am certainly entitled to.

The ashes a couple years ago Johnson produced some of the best fast bowling spells ever of all time, atleast in my time cant remember another bowler with such hostility and pace, perhaps only Donald against the WI in 95 or 98. Steyn is obviously the number one bowler for a while now, dont get me wrong but at their best Johnson takes the cake but then I am always biased a bit towards the bowlers using seam.

He's probably just slightly better than Brett Lee in the great scheme of things. Lee for me was a just above average Test match bowler, so I'd rate Johnson as a pretty decent Test match bowler.

But Steyn (in an era where batting is seen as getting easier) will go down as one of the best of all time when he retires, so Johnson isn't even close to him.

Yes, Steyn is an all-time great, and Johnson is a contemporary great. However, at his best, I don't think there was/is a better bowler than Johnson, in this era. Steyn is a far more consistent, and better, bowler, while Johnson blew hot and cold. But when he was hot, he was red-hot, frightening, fast, and there was nobody who could stop him. Again, this is just my opinion.

Yes, Steyn is an all-time great, and Johnson is a contemporary great. However, at his best, I don't think there was/is a better bowler than Johnson, in this era. Steyn is a far more consistent, and better, bowler, while Johnson blew hot and cold. But when he was hot, he was red-hot, frightening, fast, and there was nobody who could stop him. Again, this is just my opinion.

Agreed. Followed Mitch career closley over the years and I think off field issues got the better of him, sometimes it was as if his all was not in the game.

To add to the discussion above, I think the consensus is Steyn > Johnson. However where does Anderson rate against Johnson? I would say Anderson > Johnson.

To add to the discussion above, I think the consensus is Steyn > Johnson. However where does Anderson rate against Johnson? I would say Anderson > Johnson.

Pretty much the same, both needed their ideal conditions to perform. Anderson's been better in asia while he has an absolute dreadfull record in oceania and africa. Mitch has a dreadfull record in asia and the uk.

Both are much better in their home conditions, there is a massive difference between their home average and their away averages. When you look at steyn there is hardly any difference home or way, that's the difference.

Have to say Mitch has been a delight to watch these last few years, did bring back the aussie team after their white wash in india and ashes loss! Some of those spells will always be rewatchable just for the fierceness in them!

Users who are viewing this thread