Richie Benaud shares his opinion on the best batsman since Bradman

To Indians - it's not compulsory that everyone will have to agree that Sachin is the best since Bradman. Also, there is no unanimous best ever after Bradman. They are all opinions. And I don't think most fans are jealous of him. We need not be insecure about it.

Agree on that point. Lot's of Australian's think Steve Waugh is a great batsmen,Allan Border is a great batsmen,Ricky Ponting there have been lots of great players from Australia and it's not at all necessary that all will think Sachin is a legend. After all most people want the best batsmen of cricket ever from their country and it's fair enough. As far as Richie Benaud is concern i would agree with him that Sachin is best batsmen after SDB.

Each country's people will root for it's great players. So I feel Sachin is one of the best to come out of India. Like Ponting is one of the best to come out of Aus and the Whole West Indian team of the 70s to be the best team ever !:)

^You could have added bowlers to, Warne from Australia and Murali from SL, holding and Ambrose from WI.

Aditya said it true.:clap

Each country's people will root for it's great players. So I feel Sachin is one of the best to come out of India. Like Ponting is one of the best to come out of Aus and the Whole West Indian team of the 70s to be the best team ever !:)

I think it's debatable. While I'll agree that the bowling attack of that West Indian side comprising of Marshall, Holding, Garner and Roberts was much better than the bowling attack of the Australian team comprising of McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and Lee, but both the teams dominated cricket equally. There is no way the great West Indian team from the mid 70's to the early 80's dominated more than the Australian team from 1999 till 2006. Both were equally dominant.

I would always put Sobers & Richards ahead of Tendulkar in the cateogry of the "Best since Bradman", based on what i've seen of them.

Plus i think Greg Chappell & Tendulkar are equal.

1. Sir Donald Bradman

Pretty big gap.

2. Sir Garfield Sobers
3. Sachin Tendulkar

For me anyway. Greg Chappell, Sir Jack Hobbs and Sir Vivian Richards are up there as well.

^every cricketer is not allrounder.:facepalm
Brian Lara was a batsman, so shouldn't he called a cricketer.:doh

For me, A cricketer refers to whole as a bowler/batsman/allrounder(whatever) having the spirit of game, never being involved in controversies, playing for the nation and much more.

If cricketer means all rounder then yes he is not even top 20 of all time.

Well when someone says this guy is the best cricketer to me it means the all round ability of a player in all aspects of the game.

^every cricketer is not allrounder.:facepalm
Brian Lara was a batsman, so shouldn't he called a cricketer.:doh

Thats why we separate batsman, bowlers and all rounders.

For me, A cricketer refers to whole as a bowler/batsman/allrounder(whatever) having the spirit of game, never being involved in controversies, playing for the nation and much more.

Exactly. So how does that make Sachin the best cricketer as a whole of the modern era. Wouldn't in be Kallis then because he has all that.

A cricketer isn't an allrounder alone. The best cricketer can be the best batsman.

When I see the word cricketer I look at the all round package. When I see the word batsman I just look at batsman and what the player did as a batsman.

Probably because Gavaskar is the best batsman sobers bowled at and because Gavaskar was one of those rare batsman that did really well against the West Indies.

When I see the word cricketer I look at the all round package. When I see the word batsman I just look at batsman and what the player did as a batsman.

Nah, I have to disagree there. If a player is exceptional as a certain skill that puts him ahead of the 'bits and pieces' players, then he is no doubt a better cricketer.

If we go by your logic, guys like Flintoff will be ahead of batsman like Lara, Tendulkar, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread