Richie Benaud shares his opinion on the best batsman since Bradman

I agree with Dare.

But of course you have to weight everything up, like Bradman is considered the best ever cricket player even though he has never played an ODI game or taken wickets. But because he simply dominates in Test batting so much, it overtakes other skills.

Nah, I have to disagree there. If a player is exceptional as a certain skill that puts him ahead of the 'bits and pieces' players, then he is no doubt a better cricketer.

If we go by your logic, guys like Flintoff will be ahead of batsman like Lara, Tendulkar, etc.

No not really because Flintoff isn't rated that highly as a all-rounder.

To me Sobers/Kallis/Imran/Miller would hold much more value then Ponting/Lara/Tendulkar.

A player doesnt have to be all the things that sachingr8 listed but he needs to have the majority of those points. Because Sobers has all of those things (or the majority) people call him the greatest cricket of all time.

But of course you have to weight everything up, like Bradman is considered the best ever cricket player even though he has never played an ODI game or taken wickets. But because he simply dominates in Test batting so much, it overtakes other skills.

Agreed.

I agree with Rohit's argument that a cricketer need not be an allrounder. That gives an unfair advantage to all the allrounders out there over the players who concentrate on specific skills.

How is it "unfair"?

If we have nothing to distinguish them then why call them all-rounders? Why not just batsman. There is a reason for the name.

Rahul Dravid IMHO is the best Test batsman since Bradman. Just always does the job.

Big statement to make but I think he's at least on par with Sachin in test cricket, if not better. So underrated.

Why not create a sub forum called Sachin Tendulkar? Or just a whole other forum, where you can fight about when you want to give him a blow job.....

Why not create a sub forum called Sachin Tendulkar? Or just a whole other forum, where you can fight about when you want to give him a blow job.....

Lols :rtfl. I agree there are a bit too many sachin threads. He is special but there is a limit to everything

Why do every discussion about former great player tends to bend towards sachin vs rest debate and end up being closed due to flame wars :facepalm

Sir Bradman was the greatest batsman and Sir Sobers was greatest allrounder. Just accept the fact and move on. Do not compare former with the current player as there are far too many unmeasurable quantities playing their part that it is impossible to compare them on paper.

It would be better if we just compare players from a decade or at most from 2 subsequent decades.

So Bradman is best of his time, Then after him you can compare Border and gavasker for 80's, compare Sachin/lara/Sanath in 90's, Ponting/Sachin/K.P/Sangakkara in 2000's ....
Such a comparision would be valid coz players would have played in almost similar conditions and same set of international bowlers. You cannot predict how Gavaskar would have played Brett Lee on a overcast Lords morning just based on his record. Who knows he might score a gritty 80 or 100, on the other hand he might get out for duck to a ripper from lee.
It is cricket and it just take a single ball to dismiss a batsman. That ball might be from brett lee or brandon maccullum. Even greats like border/gavaskar can get out on bad days.

Why do every discussion about former great player tends to bend towards sachin vs rest debate and end up being closed due to flame wars :facepalm

Sir Bradman was the greatest batsman and Sir Sobers was greatest allrounder. Just accept the fact and move on. Do not compare former with the current player as there are far too many unmeasurable quantities playing their part that it is impossible to compare them on paper.

It would be better if we just compare players from a decade or at most from 2 subsequent decades.

So Bradman is best of his time, Then after him you can compare Border and gavasker for 80's, compare Sachin/lara/Sanath in 90's, Ponting/Sachin/K.P/Sangakkara in 2000's ....
Such a comparision would be valid coz players would have played in almost similar conditions and same set of international bowlers. You cannot predict how Gavaskar would have played Brett Lee on a overcast Lords morning just based on his record. Who knows he might score a gritty 80 or 100, on the other hand he might get out for duck to a ripper from lee.
It is cricket and it just take a single ball to dismiss a batsman. That ball might be from brett lee or brandon maccullum. Even greats like border/gavaskar can get out on bad days.

Actually, I can. India would never play Australia in a test match in England.

Last edited:
He just did :p An Indian batsman would never be facing Lee in a test match in Lords. That becomes India vs. Australia in England, which isn't possible (now anyways)

That was a hypothetical question but it is still possible:facepalm. Wonder how:D

ICC World XI vs Asia XI , does that ring any bells ??;) :p

Users who are viewing this thread